Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the glasspack mufflers in my Custom Image sidepipes with Sweet Thunder mufflers. Ive got a few videos put together now, so I figured Id put them all together for anybody with side pipes who's considering getting Sweet Thunders.

As a quick review I got the 2.25" ID, they are also offered in 2" and 2.5" if you want them quieter or louder. The 2.25" are aggressive and loud, so if that's not what you like (you old guys :laughing:) I wouldn't recommend them. However, I think they sound amazing. At idle they have a great rumble. At cruising speed theyre not too loud at all, they just growl. Then... when you get on it thats when the fun begins.

In addition to the sound, they seem to flow very well, and my throttle response has definitely improved compared to with the glasspacks.

Now of course, sound and performance will vary with your specific engine. All I can say is if you're looking to make your Vette's sidepipes sound as aggressive as they look, this is the way to go!

Enough of my babbling, on to the videos:

This first video Ive already posted. It was shot on my Go Pro HD. Its a pretty boring drive, I was just testing out the camera. There are a few points were I get on it a little though. Please ignore the point where the camera falls off the car, it survived intact lol!

Hears a quick exterior revving:

This is just a quick pull, I only got on it 1/4 throttle at the most....just imagine it with all 4 barrels dumping! lol

For reference, heres how the same motor sounded with the glasspacks that came with the pipes:

That's it for now. I plan on updating this thread when the weather here gets nicer and I can take some better videos. Ill definitely make some videos of me really getting on it, as well as some fly-bys!

I hope these help anybody who is trying to decide what path to take with their exhaust.

:cheers:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks man...that was very informative:thumbsup:

Do you think the 2.5" would straight out cop attracters?

I want loud but not so loud I can't drive the car for fear of the fuzz!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man...that was very informative:thumbsup:

Do you think the 2.5" would straight out cop attracters?

I want loud but not so loud I can't drive the car for fear of the fuzz!
Honestly, I love loud, but I think the 2.25" is perfect. If it were any louder it would probably too much for every day driving. If you want loud you definitely won't be disappointed with the 2.25s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the 2.5s on my 69, sound was great but LOUD...

So I ended up putting some perforated metal cones before the mufflers which helped a lot .

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have the stainless steel Sweet Thunders in the stock 68-74 style. I forget what size they are, I think 2" or 2.25", but they sound great. I wouldn't want to go louder, they definitely are loud enough.

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/corvette_sidepipes_68_74.html

80vettel82, after I saw your first video, I couldn't resist and had to order the GoPro HD. I have been planning on taking some videos of my vette soon and I'm really impressed at how well yours looked. I just received it last night, and WOW it's small and with all those attachments, I'll have a blast with it!

I can't wait to take a video and compare how our two styles of sidepipes sound. :D BTW, your vette is looking pretty sharp with the upgrades! Love the hood!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the stainless steel Sweet Thunders in the stock 68-74 style. I forget what size they are, I think 2" or 2.25", but they sound great. I wouldn't want to go louder, they definitely are loud enough.

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/corvette_sidepipes_68_74.html

80vettel82, after I saw your first video, I couldn't resist and had to order the GoPro HD. I have been planning on taking some videos of my vette soon and I'm really impressed at how well yours looked. I just received it last night, and WOW it's small and with all those attachments, I'll have a blast with it!

I can't wait to take a video and compare how our two styles of sidepipes sound. :D BTW, your vette is looking pretty sharp with the upgrades! Love the hood!
Thanks man! Glad I inspired you to get the go pro, its a lot of fun! My brother has a 2009 Challenger SRT8 and he just got one, so together we should be able to make some cool videos with two cameras.

I appreciate it, its been a long 6 years with the car but it feels like I'm finally really getting somewhere with it! I have some good plans for the interior this summer, and then MAYBE a shark bite suspension and iron differential swap (if I blow up my stocker at the strip this season) next winter! :partyon:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks man! Glad I inspired you to get the go pro, its a lot of fun! My brother has a 2009 Challenger SRT8 and he just got one, so together we should be able to make some cool videos with two cameras.

I appreciate it, its been a long 6 years with the car but it feels like I'm finally really getting somewhere with it! I have some good plans for the interior this summer, and then MAYBE a shark bite suspension and iron differential swap (if I blow up my stocker at the strip this season) next winter! :partyon:
LOL! I know what you mean, work in progress... I'm hoping to get my hands on a T56 trans. :thumbsup:

What editing software are you using for your vidoes?

GoPro has the 3D kit for connecting 2 cameras and making 3D videos :laughing:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! I know what you mean, work in progress... I'm hoping to get my hands on a T56 trans. :thumbsup:

What editing software are you using for your vidoes?

GoPro has the 3D kit for connecting 2 cameras and making 3D videos :laughing:
A T56 would be sweet!

No editing software currently, I need to get some.

I didn't know about the 3D thing, we'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Holy ****, I got half a stock hearing it get a bit of juice - give it some more I think it likes it!

Like ozzy I love loud too but unfortunately our local constabulary takes a dim view of modified cars in general, especially anything with a bit of extra noise. (yet bikies can get around with open headers, go figure)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds awesome, but like the other Aussies have said we would be lucky to get out of our driveways without being defected!

Do you know what db reading your putting out?

I recently had to re engineer my vette - they didn't appreciate the 110db......couple of extra mufflers, visit to the engineer to test, pass at 94db, drive home and put proper system back on, $200 exercise and a few hours, but hey a vette just isn't right if it's not a bit noisy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts