Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made the switch? Was it worth it?

:cheers:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Hope so, im dropping a 102 fast/nw 102 on the 402 im building

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am doing the same thing on my 403 build as well. hopefully get it back early January.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Hope so, im dropping a 102 fast/nw 102 on the 402 im building
No lurk smiley...check my sig...I'm very interested to see how you make out, and in the OP's question as to a changeover also.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
A stroker might be different but when I inquired about swapping out my ported 90 to a ported 102 on my H/C LS2, I was told the gains (if any) would hardly be worth the price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well my FAST102 was ported which I was told had some proven gains of rougly 5-10hp from the porting itself and maybe 10rwhp from the manifold with my stroker. I think the bigger the motor the more gains some see. Not really sure since mine is in the works and so much is going on at the same time its hard to tell what gave what amount of power. Ill only have a final total.

If you have a ported FAST 90 i hear the gains aren't substantial since you already have your money in that. I got mine bought and ported for about $1k so its probably a toss up for you.

I hear the LS2s gain a lot more form a FAST than LS3s over the stock one since the LS2 manifold was greatly improved upon for the LS3, at least thats what i heard.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If you have a ported FAST 90 i hear the gains aren't substantial since you already have your money in that. I got mine bought and ported for about $1k so its probably a toss up for you.

I hear the LS2s gain a lot more form a FAST than LS3s over the stock one since the LS2 manifold was greatly improved upon for the LS3, at least thats what i heard.
I have heard the same. If you're buying new it would make sense to get the 102 but from everything I have read, heard, and seen, swapping out a ported 90/92 to a ported 102
is probably not worth it on a stock cubed LS motor.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
A stroker might be different but when I inquired about swapping out my ported 90 to a ported 102 on my H/C LS2, I was told the gains (if any) would hardly be worth the price.
:agree: Hey Frankie what's up? This place has been quiet. On the LS2 no one has claimed any gains with the 102 over the ported 90, but I have seen as much as 15-19 rwhp on a H/C package for the LS7.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i have an ls7 and the difference was only about 14 rwhp but the sotp was definately diffrent than stock. it does however make a lot more noise (like a vacuum) and the idle is sometimes a little weird. it seems to serch for the right rpm. but clears up right away

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
i have an ls7 and the difference was only about 14 rwhp but the sotp was definately diffrent than stock. it does however make a lot more noise (like a vacuum) and the idle is sometimes a little weird. it seems to serch for the right rpm. but clears up right away
How you been Jeff? :cheers: You probably gained between 20-25 rwtq in the mid range with your swap, another buddy saw similar gains with the fast 102 ported over the standard LS7 intake, with a H/C set up.
It stands to reason that the Lsx 102 gains are more significant on bigger cubed set ups.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
:agree: Hey Frankie what's up? This place has been quiet. On the LS2 no one has claimed any gains with the 102 over the ported 90, but I have seen as much as 15-19 rwhp on a H/C package for the LS7.
Hey Cam, hope all is well. :thumbsup:

This place definitely isn't what it used to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad. I guess it depends on who you ask. :laughing:

Anyway, when the 102 came out I immediately started researching about it's gains over a 90. Just about everyone I've talked to or read testing about showed little to no power gains. Too bad. I was willing to spend $1000+ for 10-15rwhp but it just isn't there. This is on an LS2 though. Those of you with strokers might fare better. Can't you scan your MAP readings to see if you're at a displacement level where the intake is a restriction? (like I know what the **** I'm talking about :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I a had a 98 coupe that I put a FAST intake on, as you say the sotp was an improvement, but it had this off idle whistle that drove me nuts it would only do it at a slight throttle like a tea pot and at cruise say 60 mph it was constant.

Had it off and on a couple of times, took it apart could find no leaks even sent it back to FAST that was a waste of time.

Finally I sold it as a bonus with the car, looking back I should have just put an Z06 intake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts