Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what this rocker switch is for?:huh:

·
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That switch, and the red plate around it, appear to have been added. Where do the wires go?

Nope, the plate's a factory piece, it has tabs that fit into the rest of the console (which has the recess to fit it), a pressure nut for the screw to seat etc. There's another one on the passenger side. It's hard to see at this angle in the pic, but it's a very integral piece. (here's another pic from the gallery that shows better detail http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/631/DSCF0530.JPG )

I am confused though by the switch, curious because the wiring inside looks 'period correct', right kind of wire, aged, etc. Not sure where the wires go, but is IS into the console, not up into the gauge cluster/dash.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
My 75 had it, turned on a small fan in the rear cabin, behind the drivers seat, just below the rear glass.:thumbsup:

Here's another from the gallery.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Forgot to mention,

High
Off
Low

My understanding was when they done away with the true vents in the rear, the grills behind the back glass, they put these in to circulate the air in the "trunk". Thats what I was told anyhow.:laughing: Mine worked quite well in fact.

Hope this helps,:thumbsup:
Good night.:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It is the switch for the rear window defroster......at least it is on my 76'.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Are you sure it's not the button for the ejection seat? :laughing:

·
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks for the answers! I'll check it out this mornin. This is Florida, so don't often (if ever) need a rear defroster. The fan would be good though! I'll see which one it is, or if it even works at all.:laughing:
Thanks again, appreciate the help!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Well, does it work?:huh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with having the rear deck vents. The 69 t-top I used to own had the rear window defrost and it drew air from the back also. The control was a 3 position rotary switch on the same panel as the 76,but only on the passenger side.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I am 100% sure that it is the rear window defrost switch.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am 100% sure that it is the rear window defrost switch.
Just to be clear...I'm not disputing that at all. I thought it was the rear defroster fan all along, but the switch was different from my 69 and I'm not familiar with the "newer" C3s so I didn't say anything when this thread came out.:D

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Just to be clear...I'm not disputing that at all. I thought it was the rear defroster fan all along, but the switch was different from my 69 and I'm not familiar with the "newer" C3s so I didn't say anything when this thread came out.:D

I completely understand that. I was just posting that statement because it seemed as though there was still some doubt in everyone as to what the switch is for. Also, Sheriff has not responded with a confirmation yet so I thought I would clear it up.

Also, 76's do not have rear deck vents or any sort of "stock" fan back there. It is an electric defroster.

I am sorry if I sounded standoffish. I did not mean to be.

·
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, it's the rear defroster, works like a charm. We don't get frost down here very often, but good to know I'll be prepared:laughing:

Thanks for the help, one more mystery solved:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I completely understand that. I was just posting that statement because it seemed as though there was still some doubt in everyone as to what the switch is for. Also, Sheriff has not responded with a confirmation yet so I thought I would clear it up.

Also, 76's do not have rear deck vents or any sort of "stock" fan back there. It is an electric defroster.

I am sorry if I sounded standoffish. I did not mean to be.
No need to be sorry, I just wanted to be clear. Like I said, I don't know this car. In 69, the rear defrost was actually a fan and ductwork that blew air on the rear window. I didn't know that the 76 actually had an embedded defroster. Should have kept going with my first instinct and kept my mouth shut. :laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts