Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone sell a good rebuild kit for tilt & tele steering columns? I'd REALLY like to get my steering tighter than a gnat's ass and I think a lot of the slop is in the column. I'm not looking forward to pulling the column, but I'd be willing to if I have some good resources and quality parts so I wouldn't have to redo it all again.

TIA :cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
does anyone sell a good rebuild kit for tilt & tele steering columns? I'd REALLY like to get my steering tighter than a gnat's ass and I think a lot of the slop is in the column. I'm not looking forward to pulling the column, but I'd be willing to if I have some good resources and quality parts so I wouldn't have to redo it all again.

TIA :cheers:
Most all the vette parts places sell the parts, can't recall ever seeing a kit. It's not that hard pulling the column out; 2 bolts on the dash, 2 on the toe board and the rag joint. I would bet that your problem is the rag joint and not the column. Jim Shea has a bunch of good papers on column rebuilding. Here is the link if you don't have it.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. It's a long story, but I ended up removing the rag joint and using a coupler and flaming river U-joint in it's place.

(BIG version in my photos)

The new manual steering box is from Gary, so I have quite a bit of confidence in that as well. I just rebuilt the front and rear suspension last summer with new bushings, tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints, the whole works. Re-alignment will help her go pretty straight, but there is unmistakably some play in the steering.

I'll definitely be doing some reading on Jim's sight. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The places that you could pick up steering looseness in the Saginaw T&T column would be the following:
In the two piece injected lower steering shaft;
the plastic tilt spheres in the column head;
the column bearings;
or looseness in the column head.

There are three papers and pics available at the www.corvettefaq.com websight.

I suggest that you first conduct the quick tests that are outlined in the first Disassembly and Repair Paper #1 with the column in the car. They will give you good indications as to the condition of the column head.

You might try holding the lower steering shaft fixed and checking for play up through just the steering shaft itself. If you detect some looseness you will need to remove the entire steering shaft to determine the source. There is a tilt joint "slump test" outlined on Page #7 of Disassembly & Repair Paper #3.

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The places that you could pick up steering looseness in the Saginaw T&T column would be the following:
the column bearings;

I suggest that you first conduct the quick tests that are outlined in the first Disassembly and Repair Paper #1 with the column in the car. They will give you good indications as to the condition of the column head.

You might try holding the lower steering shaft fixed and checking for play up through just the steering shaft itself. If you detect some looseness you will need to remove the entire steering shaft to determine the source. There is a tilt joint "slump test" outlined on Page #7 of Disassembly & Repair Paper #3.

Jim
Jim, welcome to DC! We're glad to have you. You're website is a great reference, so thank you for sharing all that info! I downloaded and read through many of your papers already this evening.

I'll probably get a start on this on Sunday afternoon. I'll start by making sure the flat on the box is at the 12 o'clock position with wheels centered and adjust tierods accordingly. The column seems to be securely bolted to the dash, but there is definite movement of the upper portion, mostly in the diagonally left and downward direction...

If I have questions along the way I'll probably be bugging you for a some advice if I don't understand something from your papers.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Mike rebuilds the columns as well. I don't get into those,just the boxes. That box was right on, but you can always check it on center by watching the input and the pitman arm. There should be no lost motion in the box on center. The last thing I do on them is to center them and check this.
I must have missed it, why did you swap out the rag again?

I just pulled the record on that box. I set the lash to 11-12 in/lbs on center so that should be good. sideplay was .0015", lash gap was .002"

Let me know what you find, I doubt it's the box but you have me curious now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only kits that are/were available are bearing kits and ignition rack kits. They didn't fix any looseness problems, just broken parts. The most common problem is the four torx bolts come loose in the base of the tilt. When it gets really loose it will damage the plastic joint between the two shafts.
Another common problem is people use the steering wheel to help pull themselves out of the car. This wears out the latch mechanism. There isn't a kit to repair this. You have to tear it down, inspect all the pieces, and replace as needed. Most of the parts are interchangeable with standard GM tilt columns (Camaro, Caprice, etc) but a few are specific to Corvette/ Cadilliac.
Mike

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
the column bearings;

Jim
Jim, your website info is awesome. Thanks for sharing.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts