Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there is a similar post but it's not for me! A computer illiterate friend of mine has asked to put this thread up....

"I Have a 1971 Corvette with original 4 speed Muncie

Has anyone out there fitted a T700 AUTO in place where the Muncie used to be , as the manual tunnel is narrower than the Auto tunnel

The T700 is slightly smaller than the T400 but does it fit in and if not was there major or minor mods to the tunnel to be done"......

Anyone done this? Any Complications? Any Help appreciated!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I realize there is a similar post but it's not for me! A computer illiterate friend of mine has asked to put this thread up....

"I Have a 1971 Corvette with original 4 speed Muncie

Has anyone out there fitted a T700 AUTO in place where the Muncie used to be , as the manual tunnel is narrower than the Auto tunnel

The T700 is slightly smaller than the T400 but does it fit in and if not was there major or minor mods to the tunnel to be done"......

Anyone done this? Any Complications? Any Help appreciated!

Yes, my '72 vert here had that done ten years ago.....you must widen the tranny tunnel on the pass side, about 2" worth....I cut access holes in the plactic to get to the cooling lines, throttle cable, and dip stick tube easier...as well as swinging the lower section into the footwell by 2-3"....
otherwise you hit that servo housing, the pan also makes exhaust routing a bitch, but it's dooable, by a competant exhaust shop...me lucky having a guy down the street who does this work well....

however, you are much better off with a 200 4r tranny, better gearing, easier fit, maybe not have to widen the tunnel, not sure on that one,...and you don't have to shorten/balance the drive shaft by 2.5 inches....

you also will not need to modify that 'shoe' plate the Muncie sits on, which BTW, I have my old modded 'shoe' plate for a 700 which will bolt on your stock cross member.....BTW, I took a sawzall to the cross member some years ago, got angle iron welded on it for bracing, and use two 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts with crimp nuts on it to put it back in place...works fine, and makes easier removal of tranny for replacing the 3/4 clutch pack....

:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Thanks mrvette! He is trying to make up his mind whether to go TKO-600 or Auto? So he is just waying up all options! Personally I think he should stay manual because it already has a muncie!
Well, IMO, by my bitter experience, is to go the 200 4r IF you want an automatic.....

I just wish I had more options ten years ago, for a stick overdrive...there was little to nothing out there for less than 4 grand, and that was just the freeking tranny, now a daze of course there are lots of choices, some are junkyard trannies for much less than a grand even, I understand the need for an overdrive....but for ME, i'ts gotta be .68 or something giving a 30% engine speed reduction....or not worth the MONEY/time/effort....

which I why I gave it up, and put in the 700, finding out last year the 200 was a much better choice....managed to sell my 700 for 250 bux, and have about 500 bux into the 200 4r, so not so bad....course I had to rebuilt it myself,....nothing new...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I also converted to a 700 from a turbo400 and did what Gene said had to widen the passenger side by about 1-2 inchs and shorten my driveshaft also.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The assembly instruction manuals (AIMs) for the early cars show where the tunnel has to be cut and an additional piece bonded in for the optional AT cars. My advice would be to purchase the AIM for your year and cut along the dooted line as shown in the AIM.

You will also need to retrofit the tranny cooler lines. Most AT cars used a copper radiator larger than the standard transmission cars to carry the additional heat of the trans.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed a 4l80e trans in my 72 manual trans car and I didnt have to do anything with the tunnel to get the trans in. I have it sitting in the exact same place as far as the centerline of the transmission output shaft is concerned. I wasnt able to get a stock dipstick in as the 4l80 bellhousing is just to large so I did a lokar dipstick. I used 90 degree fittings on the cooler lines and they fit ok. I did have to drill a hole down low in the tunnel for the electrical plugin on the drivers side to fit, just brought all the wiring inside at that point. Of course I had to shorten the driveshaft and modify the crossmember. So what page in the aim are the pics about modifying the tunnel for the auto cars? I need to take a look at that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts