Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just aquired a (what i assume to be original) tach drive. i have a few questions though. how much is this worth? they seem kind of rare - heres the part numbers- on the tach drive output thing it has the number 820. the points plate says delco remy and the ring around the base says 1112698 delco remy 2628.
i do want to make this a high perf "dizzy" so i bought ...
Accel heavy duty cap and rotor
Accel 48 oz contact points
Mallory high performance condensor
Mr. Gasket advance kit that gets full advance between 2000 and 2800RPM

i also would like to modify the points plate to be solid so that i do not get point flutter at higher rpm. this is what will kill the amount that it is worth i am guessing.
so, if it is worth alot of money (enough to buy an msd tach drive and 6al box), i wont ruin, so do i modify it or sell it.

p.s. someone gave this distributor to me so that has to factor into the ability to sell it too

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
i just aquired a (what i assume to be original) tach drive. i have a few questions though. how much is this worth? they seem kind of rare - heres the part numbers- on the tach drive output thing it has the number 820. the points plate says delco remy and the ring around the base says 1112698 delco remy 2628.
i do want to make this a high perf "dizzy" so i bought ...
Accel heavy duty cap and rotor
Accel 48 oz contact points
Mallory high performance condensor
Mr. Gasket advance kit that gets full advance between 2000 and 2800RPM

i also would like to modify the points plate to be solid so that i do not get point flutter at higher rpm. this is what will kill the amount that it is worth i am guessing.
so, if it is worth alot of money (enough to buy an msd tach drive and 6al box), i wont ruin, so do i modify it or sell it.

p.s. someone gave this distributor to me so that has to factor into the ability to sell it too
A) Both Lars and I rebuild these units.
B) Rebuilt properly, they work great up to about 6,000 RPM.
C) If you do it yourself, Use the brass stop bushing in the kit, use 1 black and 1 silver spring.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are you saying that solid mounting the points plate is not worth it if i do not do much driving over 6k?
also, 48 oz points seem very stiff- do you think this could wipe it out

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how stiff do you recomend it to be, stock or is there anything inbetween?

·
Registered
959 Posts
the number 1112698 is probably 1112098 which came from a 73 350/190hp...not rare, not valuable...but a good place to start....
...redvetracr

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the quick replys. i guess i will have to make a trip to napa this weekend and get that

any other tips or things i should know/buy for my distributor?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You could get rid of the points and put a magnetic pickup in there too. Just a thought for another option..Running an MSD box opens up lots of places to go. And I've never seen a mag pickup float- seen 'em die, but never float.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
thanks for all the quick replys. i guess i will have to make a trip to napa this weekend and get that

any other tips or things i should know/buy for my distributor?
Points, Napa#CS 786
Cond, Napa #RR 175
Cap, Napa # RR 165
Rotor, Napa# RR 169R
Vacuum Advance, Napa# VC 1765
Moroso #26140 Shim kit Set end play to .005"
Mr Gasket Advance springs w/ stop bush. 928G Use black and silver [email protected]
Check the coil lead wire under points plate for bare spots
Seal repair kit, Paragon #576K (Usually dust)
Tach gear thrust button, Usually Paragon# 10951 (Always trash)
PM sent

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You could get rid of the points and put a magnetic pickup in there too. Just a thought for another option..Running an MSD box opens up lots of places to go. And I've never seen a mag pickup float- seen 'em die, but never float.

:cheers:
Butt out.:rolling: Above 6,000 , maybe. Who drives sustained street that high? Jeff Gordon?:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:thud: And you don't even need to turn 6 grand ALL the time either. Points wear- mag pickups don't, and a good DIGITAL box gets you the advantage of a rev limiter. But since I never have missed a gear (yeah, right:surprised ) I'll never need one.

:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Points, Napa#CS 786
Cond, Napa #RR 175
Cap, Napa # RR 165
Rotor, Napa# RR 169R
Vacuum Advance, Napa# VC 1765
Moroso #26140 Shim kit Set end play to .005"
Mr Gasket Advance springs w/ stop bush. 928G Use black and silver [email protected]
Check the coil lead wire under points plate for bare spots
Seal repair kit, Paragon #576K (Usually dust)
Tach gear thrust button, Usually Paragon# 10951 (Always trash)
PM sent
Sorry to drag up old material but I soon will be rebuilding a 1974 tach-drive distributor. You state that the #10951 bronze thrust button is trash. Are you implying that all bronze buttons are the same? The cross-gear repair kit I ordered (ZIP) has a nylon button and I am wondering if that will be adequate or should I go with the bronze?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts