Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 Vette's tach has its yellow line that starts at 5,000 RPM. I bought a bunch of other 78 Vette stuff and included in the batch was another 78 Vette Speedo-Tach. That tach has its yellow line starting at 4,500 RPM.

Why is there a difference in the yellow line starting point on tach that came from the same year Vette? :huh:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Didn't the L48 yellow start at 4500 RPM, and the L82 start at 5000 RPM?

Steven

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't the L48 yellow start at 4500 RPM, and the L82 start at 5000 RPM?

Steven
I thought about that, but my Vette is an L-48 and the Vette that the other tach came from was also an L-48. I do know my Vette was built early in the 78 year build, but am not sure about what part of the year the other Vette was built.

The only big difference in the two Vettes is mine was an automatic (which had the 5,000 RPM yellow line) and the Vette the other tach came from was a four speed. (which had the 4,500 RPM yellow line) Could that be the difference?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Was one car AC equipped, and the other one not?

I think the non AC cars had higher redlines (and yellow lines, too). The transmission choice shouldn't have any effect.

Steven

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was one car AC equipped, and the other one not?

I think the non AC cars had higher redlines (and yellow lines, too). The transmission choice shouldn't have any effect.

Steven
The one with the higher yellow/redline is an A/C Vette. Not sure about the lower redline Vette though.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tach that was in my Vette redlined at 6,000, but my Vette is an L-48. However, the history of my Vette is that it was stolen in New Jersey in May 1978 and later found in a warehouse in Dallas, TX in 1982. A friend bought it at a Police Auction, brought it to Houston and dropped it off at a dealer to have all of its missing pieces replaced. So at that point, it could have gotten an L-82 tach.

What else is interesting is when my friend had the dealer replace all of the missing parts, he told them to install new parts, meaning he did not want used parts installed. The dealer installed a lot of 1982 parts like the seats, and rear spoiler. My guess is that they ordered a new tach and they got an L-82 tach in. It did have the 140 MPH speedo instead of the 1982 80 MPH speedo. The drive line is all numbers matching so those are original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts