Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking it to another shop UPDATE!!!!

tomorrow im going to take my car out of the shop I took it to. With all these problems and more recently they told me that the computer is bad and the car won't start up. But then they changed their mind and said all they needed to do is to find a ground. But they changed their minds and said my computer is bad. They said the whole car is done including the gears but I need a new computer because supposedly I got a bad PCM from PCMforLess. Well I don't want to leave it there anymore and I have a day off tomorrow so im getting it towed.

I'm taking my car to a performance shop. I've talked to the owner and ive let him know my problems with the previous shop. My question is what should I do?

Should I pay to have them disassemble the engine to make sure EVERYTHING is right and to make sure they DID all the work they said they did. They charged me for "machine work" and "rebuild kit" for the bottom end of the engine and I really don't know if they did it or not.

Just wanted some advice. Should I leave it alone or should I ask the shop to do the work and to document everything and take pictures. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
it seems like every time I dont do the work myself, I end up doing it myself. Weve got three good vette shops here. but I've never had to use them. I have gotten parts from them. Just pay real experts everytime it costs more but you know they care.
It is very easy to tell if they are a real shop your vette is not the only on there and are not any of those 4-door cars there :laughing:
try to remenber is the more they talk the less they know:thumbsup:

If your new shop gets that engine running use it till if blows up. thow it away along with the bad. You never know what can happen when you have time to find what you dont know you want.;)

·
Banned
97 Posts
tomorrow im going to take my car out of the shop I took it to. With all these problems and more recently they told me that the computer is bad and the car won't start up. But then they changed their mind and said all they needed to do is to find a ground. But they changed their minds and said my computer is bad. They said the whole car is done including the gears but I need a new computer because supposedly I got a bad PCM from PCMforLess. Well I don't want to leave it there anymore and I have a day off tomorrow so im getting it towed.

I'm taking my car to a performance shop. I've talked to the owner and ive let him know my problems with the previous shop. My question is what should I do?

Should I pay to have them disassemble the engine to make sure EVERYTHING is right and to make sure they DID all the work they said they did. They charged me for "machine work" and "rebuild kit" for the bottom end of the engine and I really don't know if they did it or not.

Just wanted some advice. Should I leave it alone or should I ask the shop to do the work and to document everything and take pictures. Thanks! :thumbsup:
I would pay to have them disassemble it to make sure everything is right for your peace of mind. Might as well start over from scratch.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i would have the new shop look it over, if your lucky they will find that the first shop didn't do what they were supposed to- then you will have a leg to stand on to get your money back from the first place.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. Today I went and had my car towed to another shop. Its a performance shop that has been here for a little while. Guy moved from phoenix and he really seems to know what he is doing. I actually feel comfortable because he has a lot of room to work with and the shop is really clean. but well see.

when I was at the original shop they kept asking me why I was going to take it to another shop and I just told them to have it inspected because they took too long! They kept telling me that the new shop might tell me more work needs to be done and take more of my money. I dont care as long as its done right. The original shop is the one that kept lying to me so I can't trust them anymore. The original shop is the one that took forever and didn't do the work right. THey kept telling me they couldnt get the gears done because they wanted the engine running in order to test the gears! Some other people told me thats BS!:down:

well anyways I have to wait some more now but I feel a lot better. The owner really seems to know what he is doing and I hope he has my car running great!

Ill let you guys know!

Ernesto!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You'r luck sounds like mine . I use a machine shop that that turned my crankshaft to far. And charged me to return the shaft I'm just gland it's over.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'r luck sounds like mine . I use a machine shop that that turned my crankshaft to far. And charged me to return the shaft I'm just gland it's over.
that sucks man! well like everyone says lesson learned. I don't want them to do anything to the bottom end. The original shop says it was "worked" on and had a "rebuild kit" but that is what the new shop is going to do.

hopefully everything works out for us both man:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hope things work out for ya

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Dude this just sucks. Have the new shop document anything he finds wrong with it so you can go back on the other guys. Have you paid the other shop in full? If so, did you do it with a credit card? If you did you need to contact your card and dispute the charges. With the info from shop #2 you will get your money back.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey raid. The guy at the performance shop felt really bad about the whole situation and I asked him if he can document everything and take pictures. He was cool about it. Yes I already paid in full at the end of march when I thought I was going to get my car but thats when the "cam bearing" came "loose" or whatever.

basically the original shop gave me back the money for the gears they didn't do but on the refund sheet they stated the only thing they guarantee is the bottom end work and parts...hmm I really dont think they did the bottom end because its dirty but the new shop will find out for me. yes I paid them for the inspection but its well worth it. I do not want to pay for a brand new engine.

the original shop told me they are not responsible for my parts that I brought in and taking with me which is fine. i bought most from summit and I know are good. The shop is telling me the problem is with my computer because its not working right. Well I took the whole car and send my computer back to PCMforLess with Bryan so he could check it out for me.

the only thing I can think of is getting my money back for the bottom end which I DONT think they did at all. But that was most of the money anyways so well see. ill keep you posted.

I honestly thought I would feel bad after losing a good amount of money but right now I really dont care. I'm actually in a very good mood because I took my car out of that shop and took it to a real performance shop(i hope!) so I feel really good!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I honestly thought I would feel bad after losing a good amount of money but right now I really dont care. I'm actually in a very good mood because I took my car out of that shop and took it to a real performance shop(i hope!) so I feel really good!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your taking this pretty good considering how much they've screwed you around. I hope everything works out for you. Maybe the new shop can help you prove they never rebuilt the bottom end and you will be able to get some kind of refund. You may not have lost enough to think about hiring a lawyer, but at the very least you should file a complaint with the attorney general's office.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Definately have them check it out. No reason to have to go through this again a couple months down the road. Did you get the heads back you got off EBAY? Might have the new shop check them out too. If the new shop is clean, it probably means the guy cares about his business, and will probably do a good job.Wish you all the luck man.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey raid. The new shop told me to give him about 2 weeks to do the engine check and check the cam too and assemble it back. Also to install the stall converter and gears.

the new shop took my heads out and suprise suprise!! the bottom end still looked the same as it did before. the old shop DID NOTHING to the bottom end but still charged me for a rebuild kit and machine shop work. Luckily I took some pics of the bottom end before and after the supposedly did the work so I got some pics. ill post them up a little later.. I can't believe they would rip me off like that.

The old shop also put one of the headers really loose and didn't tighten down some of the rocker arms. some of the electric connections were off and the new shop now has to try to figure out where they go.

Luckily seems like my heads that I bought off ebay weren't damaged. The shop said the heads are good but NO WELDING was done. ill put some pics up later but im really mad.

·
Registered
724 Posts
mad is an understatement

You should be mad. That first shop was ridiculous. If the new mechanic needs to know where to connect the wires that were left off, I'm sure we can help. But it sounds like he has everything under control. Keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
179 Posts
if i was you ironcurtin that first shop would be nothing but ashes right now. But thats just me.:thumbsup: and then i would have done this :nuts: to the mechanic.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

I call the old shop to let them know why the "machine shop" didn't work on my bottom end and got charged for it. I must admit. They are trying to be really clever. They denied it at first but then mentioned that the "machine shop" lied to them about putting in the rebuild kit and boring out the block..:crazy:

they said that the "machine shop" claimed responsibilty and will give me back the money for the work they didn't do....weird...they are still putting the blame off themselves. Im going along because I just want my money back. The new shop is making great progress in my car in just a FEW DAYS! already reassembling it and starting on the torque conveter and gears in the next day or two!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Un freakin real how this is turning out! I worked in a reputable shop for a spell and that helped me come up w/ the suggestion I made in the other post. If there's one thing I learned it's how to keep customers loyal. Be honest about everything from start to finish. Those cats fed you line after line. The dirty engine is a dead giveaway about the bottom end deal. I've never heard of a rebuild/bore w/o the block being cleaned. I mean CLEAN like you can lick the block like a loli-pop. They want to blame it on a machine shop....hogwash, they never sent it out to begin with.

It makes me sick that there are folks like that out there. I could knock out a gorilla b/c I'm slaving at a $14 hr job when I know I can make $50 hr working on cars and doing it right but can't afford to start up a business.

I try to help out as much as I can at work. For instance, recently someone got an engine installed but the belts are squeeling like a dozen stuck pigs. It turned out all the accessory bolts (carbed engine) were on finger tight. How do people manage to stay in business w/ workmanship like that? It's damn amazing.

I hope the new shop treats you right.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Great to hear that you found a good shop, and even better that the old shop is going to return your money. If you can tell us the name of the new shop so we can give them :thumbsup: if they do you right.
And old shop to so we make sure they get a:down: if you can post pics really soon. would love to see them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm hoping the new shop is doing everything right. But ill wait and see. I really hope I can just get my money back and move on. I got screwed at the old shop and lost a lot of time but I just really want to move on.

I can tell you this. I feel a lot more excited about getting my car back. Ill keep you guys posted and from what it seems I think my car will be ready next week....:D but hopefully the old shop didn't screw around alot with the sensors and stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts