Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I routinely use Goo Gone to remove tar from the paint on my cars. It works well, but can require some pressure and I'm uncertain about the long term effect on the paint. This morning I washed my daughter's pearl white Lexus IS250. There was a large black scuff on the right rear door that would not wash off, but didn't appear to scratch the paint. I took a rag with some Adam's Fine Machine Polish and quickly rubbed off the scuff leaving gleaming paint behind. I noticed there were quite a few tar spots along the bottom of the body that had been thrown up by the tires. I decided to see if the Fine Machine Polish I was holding in my hand would take it off, and lo and behold, it melted that tar quicker than Goo Gone and with almost no pressure. It also left that very fine compound behind to polish a little when I wiped it off. I tried it several times, and it didn't just rub the tar off, it melted it. I assume whatever the solvent is that is in Fine Machine Polish is deadly for tar. Anyway, if you have a tar problem and happen to have some Adam's Fine Machine Polish, give it a try. It's the easiest tar removal I have seen yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's some testimony for Adams
Nice find !
I've been using goo gone too.I'm headed outside right now to try it out
Thanks for the suggestion :cheers:
P.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's some testimony for Adams
Nice find !
I've been using goo gone too.I'm headed outside right now to try it out
Thanks for the suggestion :cheers:
P.
It will be good to see of it works for you. Let us know.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Incredibly it worked
Hats off to Adams !!
The polish removed the tar as if it was butter .I hardly applied pressure
Goo gone is GONE
Thanks again
P.
Outstanding! I was hoping I didn't just run across some weak tar.:laughing: I will definitely be using this stuff again for tar removal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good to hear! FMP really works well!

I also use Adam's Waterless Wash to loosen up bug guts and tar. I spray it on and let it soak for a bit.

There was a ton of nasty tar on the bottom of my friend's Ford GT. WW took it right off!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also use Adam's Waterless Wash to loosen up bug guts and tar. I spray it on and let it soak for a bit.
Wish I had some of that when I detailed my daughter's car. She had just taken a 600 mile trip and the front was loaded with bugs. It took me 30 min. to clean all the guts off of her grill and bumper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hit me up, I'll get you sum!

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
WOW!! Something not even I knew FMP could do... thanks for the discovery. I might have to send a little product your way just as a 'thank you' for the cool find. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Crisco works really well, just smear it on, leave it set overnite with some cardboard on the ground, it will run off.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW!! Something not even I knew FMP could do... thanks for the discovery. I might have to send a little product your way just as a 'thank you' for the cool find. :thumbsup:
If you get a chance, try it out. One person has already said it works for them. Curiosity makes me want to know if it's predictable across the board. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What an awesome Pop you are :thumbsup:
My daughter (27 year old) is a "10" in every way except car maintenance. She just doesn't have time for it. I figure it's the least I can do to help her with her one "deficiency". Oh, and the fact I get to spend some time with my daughter doesn't hurt either. :laughing:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great info:thumbsup::thumbsup: Now I have to go try it too.:cheers:
You're just down the Pike. Stop by anytime you want to try any Adam's product. I live in Horsham and our garage is in Doylestown.

Email me: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
My daughter (27 year old) is a "10" in every way except car maintenance. She just doesn't have time for it. I figure it's the least I can do to help her with her one "deficiency". Oh, and the fact I get to spend some time with my daughter doesn't hurt either. :laughing:
A "10" you say? Won't be the last to ask I'm sure, but, pics?:laughing:

I may have to try your trick the next time I detail. I get some bugs that just won't give up the ghost some times. This may be just the truck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A "10" you say? Won't be the last to ask I'm sure, but, pics?:laughing:

I may have to try your trick the next time I detail. I get some bugs that just won't give up the ghost some times. This may be just the truck.:thumbsup:
Well, here is the "proud Dad" picture when my daughter got her MBA at TCU. No comments about the tie please. I wear a tie about twice a year. :D

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Well, here is the "proud Dad" picture when my daughter got her MBA at TCU. No comments about the tie please. I wear a tie about twice a year. :D

Your daughter is smart and beautiful.She looks like her Mom I bet..:laughing:

Some day our daughters will be running this place.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts