Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I haven't been around in a while which might be a good thing. My sons 89 Chevy 1500 2 wheel drive 350 TBI started dying on him after he would drive it for 2 blocks. He would warm it up for 5 - 10 minutes with no problem but when he would drive it for 2 blocks it would die and not re start. We replaced the fuel pump and I am getting fuel at the throttle body but I don't get any fuel out of the injectors when he cranks it. I checked for fuel at the injectors by putting my finger under the injector while he cranks it and I don't get any fuel on my finger. I know this is not a Vette related question but I am stumped and I know I can count on you guys for help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Get a test light & check the small wires going to the coil, one should be steady voltage & the other should flash. This is a simple test that tells you about the pick-up coil & module condition. Ignition problems can effect the injector pulse.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I pour gas into the TB it will start as long as I keep pouring fuel in to it That's what made me thing it was the fuel pump. Does this help point the finger at the ignition module ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I pulled the ignition module out and had it tested at schucks and autozone and it tested good at both places. I did notice that it didn't have any dialectric grease on it and had pretty rusty screws holding it down when I pulled it. I put dialectric grease on it when I re-installed it. The truck is running now but I have not driven it yet to see if it's trustworthy. Could it be that it just lost ground from not having grease ?

·
Registered
891 Posts
If it runs as long as you pour gas in it I would think it's not ignition. Maybe fuel filter clogging or the injector itself needs a cleaning or rebuild.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The truck is running fine now My son drove it for about a half hour and it didn't die on him. It makes me nervous not knowing what the actual problem was.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to this but work and the weather got in the way. Since the last post the truck ran just perfect for one day then it would not start at all the next day. It had been starting but not anymore. I haven't checked to see if the injectors are getting a signal yet as I have been pretty frustrated with this truck. It is kind of weird that it ran just fine after just taking the module out and putting it back in. Does anybody have any other ideas ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I did a little more investigating today. I have good spark ( checked it with a timing light) I got a noid light for the injectors and tested them and got nothing at all. I have ground at the injector when the key is on but no signal. What sends the signal to the injectors ? is it the ECU ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the module out again and had it tested and it tested fine again but I bit the bullet and put a new ignition module in it anyway and it fired right up and is running fine today. I will let you guysknow if it dies tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts