Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother picked up this sucker from work for next to nothing. He came down to visit over Christmas and brought it with him to tear it apart. He's taking the engine and trans for his project Chevelle he's building I'll be selling off all of what's left of it.

I forgot to take a pic of it when it showed up but it had a hood on it to start.

We got alot done today, tomorrow we will get the rear bumper off, all the convertible parts and all the black molding. I'd like to keep the rear body section does anyone know how that comes off or should I just attack it with a sawzall?

My yard it littered with red Corvettes now. I have 3, 2 86's and 1 87.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suppose to come off with a heat gun, but sawzall hasn't ever failed me. Let me grab the thread I saw since I was looking at that a couple weeks ago.

-Dan
Thanks for that link, I want to try to save the whole piece so if I have to cut the car up I will but I hoped it would come off without that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How the hell does a once proud vette ever get to that point..:huh:
If those panels could talk..well they would cry.
Gary

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
That looks like some dirty messy work...... I can't come over there because you'll put me to work. :laughing:

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
How the hell does a once proud vette ever get to that point..:huh:
If those panels could talk..well they would cry.
Gary
I've wondered the same thing many times when I see a seriously mistreated Vette. I have the window sticker for mine - $39399.00 in 1995. That was & still is a LOT of cash.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
What a shame, I love the later c4 rear bumper on the pre 91's. Is the rear bumper worth saving?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
you can take the rear quarters off by--
removing the small attaching pieces from behind the door frame-- similar to the ones for removing the rear fascia.
odds are that cars glue will just pop off with minor prying if not a heat gun will help the pop. hardest part is right under the halo. both mine were really stuck there.
You've got about a two inch slat behind the door and about a 2 foot square of random sealant on the top section of the quarter panels. make sure to split them by the fuel neck first.

and the whole rear tank cradle just unbolts.

if he wants an after market MAP system for his engine I have a good haltech system for cheap. it has everything but the harness.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How the hell does a once proud vette ever get to that point
yea we were talking about that yesterday while working on it. The story of the car best we found out was the owner parked it for some unknown reason and it sat untill some kids got after it with a hammer. If it was breakable they broke it. The car was then sent to the scrap yard.

What a shame, I love the later c4 rear bumper on the pre 91's. Is the rear bumper worth saving?
Yep and the best part is it's fiberglass. I'm not much of a fan of that look so it will be for sale.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I love the first picture of the guy standing there (maybe that's you) scratching his head, like...

"What the **** are we going to do with this thing?"

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed a seat in the background of the first pic. Is the plastic bottom part still in one piece for the drivers side ?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed a seat in the background of the first pic. Is the plastic bottom part still in one piece for the drivers side ?
Yes it is, pm me what you are looking for.

I love the first picture of the guy standing there (maybe that's you) scratching his head, like...

"What the **** are we going to do with this thing?"

That's funny, when we uploaded all the pictures we were saying the same thing. That's my brother by the way, he goes by rookievette here.:thumbsup:

·
I'm related so I get a title.
212 Posts
That was me wondering what we got into. I have some pics on photobucket when I brought it home. Full of mud, leaves, bugs, and anything else you could think of including a bowl to feed a cat in the rear. It took a month of working on and off to clean it out. Raid and I had a good time taking it apart the rest of the way. The only good thing about the way it was mistreated is, hopefully, the parts will be used in cars other people love. kind of like the island of misfit toys. Of course you have to be a certain age to remember that Christmas special! :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks like fun to me. Sad to see a Vette in that condition though.

I want to see more pics of whatever this is poking out in the background.
Oh that old thing?:D

That's my T-bucket. It has the old motor from my Vette with dual Holley 390's

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Yep and the best part is it's fiberglass. I'm not much of a fan of that look so it will be for sale.

How much you selling rear bumper for?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts