Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

HOUSTON -- Two teens were injured when a driver crashed his new car while street racing in River Oaks late Wednesday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Houston police said the crash happened when the driver of a Nissan 350Z lost control while racing a BMW on Kirby Drive near Stanmore Drive at about 10:30 p.m.

"At some point, the Nissan lost control and left the roadway, striking two trees and pinning both occupants in the vehicle," Capt. Milton Martin said.

The force of the impact caused the car to split in half.

The 16-year-old driver suffered a head injury, and his girlfriend, the front-seat passenger, suffered minor injuries. Both teens were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Detectives said the car had been picked up from a dealership earlier in the week.

The driver of the BMW left the scene before emergency crews arrived, police said.

NBC Houston

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Hard to believe they even survived that. :surprised

I hate to hear about that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
:surprised They are lucky to be alive.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i know this sounds harsh but hopefully now the kid learned his lesson, glad to see him alive but its poor decisions that got him to where he is.

·
Registered
546 Posts
well he's dead now that his girlfriends dad knows what he doing with his daughter

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well he dead now that his girlfriends dad knows what he doing with his daughter
That is true!!

If I found out my daughter was out with that guy street racing, I would have a tough time not going ot the hospital and causing some more hurt.

·
4,151 Posts
like im notg going to lie, when im getting on the highway and its empty i run her up to 120 then slow back down to 55-60. i never do anything questionable with a passanger, i can accept crashing my car, hurting myself but i couldnt live with a death on my conscious

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Update

So I'm over at My350Z.com and I see a thread going discussing this accident. As it turns out, the driver just got the car about 3 days before...:thud:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
16,,buy them old vw bugs,(stock)the parents are as much to blame as the kids,
That is exactly what my wife and I did...... My son is 15 and will get his license next Fall. Here is what we bought him, a 1973 VW Super Beetle;

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Houston police said the crash happened when the driver of a Nissan 350Z lost control while racing a BMW on Kirby Drive near Stanmore Drive
I have been down this street many times. It is in the real upscale part of town where the multi-million dollars homes are. Kirby at this part of town is a blvd that has a lot of curves. The street is lined with trees on both sides and down the middle that divides the street. It is a great part of town for cruising, but definitely not street racing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a 5.0 Mustang that I had ACCESS to when I was 16, it was my car to lose. There were rules that went along with driving it too, like good grades & no tickets period (if so, the car would be sold immediately)

There were a lot of high HP cars in my family, but my dad did not want to turn me loose in any of them without proper training, so I took the 3 day Road Atlanta high performance school and learned what the car was doing underneath me. Dad knew I was responsible, but he also said "you will be in a car without me at some point and I want you to know what the car is doing and why it is doing it so you stay out of trouble"

I knew I was smart and able to handle the car, but the high performance school was invaluable. I didn't have to learn about skids or hydroplaning by accident or what to do if someone pulled out if front of me. Eventually when I was faced with these situations everything came back to me just like I was on the road course again.

This some good father son bonding time too.

·
4,151 Posts
exactly fasn8n, its not the car is the driver, you could have given that kid a 1968 honda civic with 70hp and he would have wrecked it. Like you went to a driving school, a REAL driving school, not this nonsence we are required to attent which is IMO useless. I had the same setup with my camaro, bad grades/ ticket/ being mean at home = no car.

matchframe, thats a really cool car, what you guys should do it work on it that way your son feels even more responsible for it, atleast for me when i work on my cars they become less of an object and more personal.

I was at the DMV getting a new licence (cause of my name change) and they approved this little kid who couldnt even take the eye exam, he kept reading 4 letters when 5 were being displayed and saying he couldnt see the last one :crazy: but he gets a licence? he didnt even know how to navigate the maze of lines, so how can we expect him to stay in his lane and not cause accidents?

just be safe guys, im not worried about us getting crashing but more so us getting hit, on the highway yesterday i was in the slow lane doing 60 when someone from the middle lane (there bumper was at my door) decides they needed the right lane, if i didnt jump into the shoulder my car would have prolly come home on a trailer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts