Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I had a 2400 rpm stall converter, does that mean the engine will rev that high before the trans engages to move forward?

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
AlwaysWave said:
if I had a 2400 rpm stall converter, does that mean the engine will rev that high before the trans engages to move forward?
i'm sure grumpy has some information on this

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
As soon as you give it gas it will start to move but it will feel like it is slipping ever so slightly. The stall speed is if you had you foot on the brake and floored the gas, it is how high the engine would rev before 'stalling'. In drag racing a higher stall converter allows you to rev the engine to get into the power curve the same as coming off the line at 2400rpm with a manual transmission

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The 2400 stall should be very streetable, I was pretty happy with my 3500 (which will be replaced soon with a 2200-2400 and new trans).

Your Vette will move at idle, with your foot off of the gas and brake, on a level road. With your stock stall, when you give it gas, the car reacts right away. With a higher stall, it will do the same as listed above EXCEPT, you will have to give a little more gas for it to react as fast as stock.

What the stall is letting your engine do is get further into your powerband before the car starts moving. Also, the actual stall speed is really based on the torque your motor produces. If you cammed your Vette for more power, your stall speed would change. The advertised stall speed is a ball park figure.

And to answer your original question, Nope, your trans will engage well below your stall speed, off idle.

Rudy, I hope I didn't confuse you with my attempt to explain things.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
questio??

wouldent it be rough on the transmission ?u joints ect--- do you have throtell controll over the task of it:huh:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The power doesn't just come on like revving your motor to 2400 rpm and then dropping it in gear. It's still a gradual build-up. You just get further into the powerband with a higher stall converter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Keep in mind...
More slip means more heat.
Higher stall produces more heat.. so I would strongly suggest a trans cooler or find out the hard way when your trans starts slipping... I can rebuild mine and it's a hella lot cheaper then paying someone 2K or whatever to do it..

So buy some cheap insurance, get a trans cooler i reccomend a hayden unit and check out www.bulkpart.com they have some cheap prices and have always taken care of me..

-Rick

·
Registered
0 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
Keep in mind...
More slip means more heat.
Higher stall produces more heat.. so I would strongly suggest a trans cooler or find out the hard way when your trans starts slipping... I can rebuild mine and it's a hella lot cheaper then paying someone 2K or whatever to do it..

So buy some cheap insurance, get a trans cooler i reccomend a hayden unit and check out www.bulkpart.com they have some cheap prices and have always taken care of me..

-Rick
:agree: A tranny cooler is a must...I went through 3 tranny before getting a cooler!:surprised

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:smokin: thanks for the help guys:cheers: Now I have to figure what it is I want. Either a 700R or a 200R and which torque converter.

I'm thinking the 700R because of the 3+ first gear and a mild rpm converter with lock up feature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts