Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the wife and i went for a sunday drive on mass pike ,the temp outside was 90,my inside air was set on 75 mmmm so cold and nice .Well we're going down the pike and my check engine came on I said here we go again she said its muggy outside your sucking in everybody else excaust in no worries. In my vette im the leaderof the pack LOL..well i looked at the temp it was running 199 plus so i got off the pike and it shot up on 214 and up and down, So i said going home time to her she said oh well lets go home ..Got home checked code and again code 32 so im going to change the EGR thingie lol 22 buck and hope to take care of it ...So does anybody know the temp it should be at ?? I have the stage 2 chip and a 160 temp gage and all new relays in ..Anyother ideas to make it run cooler and I have flushed it add the wetter water ..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Without A/C running the primary fan is set to come on around 228* amd the secondary around 236*. With the A/C running both fans should come on regardless of coolant temp. These cars are designed to run hot. Your highway temp of 199 was not excessive, nor was 214 when you pulled off the highway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ..Well I know when I see my vette running over 200 I get very steamed lol was just wondering if theirs anyway to make it cooler or shouldn't I worry ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
my 84 runs hot all the time. it generaly likes to run about 200 - 210. when its wet and rainy out side, or I have the ac on I see temps hovering about 224 area. I did buy a 160 deg thermostat to put in. but havent yet. dam crossfire lid and tray are in the way. so its going to be a project when I can find the time and gaskets I need.

you say you added the water wetter? wich one? there are a couple of types. - the kind from REDLINE performence water wetter can be mixed with the typical 50/50 antifreeze and water mix. - BUT there is another kind called 40 BELOW I believe, and it is required to mix with just strait water. and I believe that one will do a better job of cooling, because the antifreeze water mix is not as efficent at cooling than just strait water. something about antifreeze doesnt allow it to emit heat as well as the properties of plain water.
If you still are running hotter than you would like to, you could drain and flush your radiator and try the 40 below stuff ( sold at pep boys ) mixed with plain water
let us know how it works out for you.

O by the way, what are your oil tempatures running when your car is hot?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Without A/C running the primary fan is set to come on around 228* amd the secondary around 236*. With the A/C running both fans should come on regardless of coolant temp. These cars are designed to run hot. Your highway temp of 199 was not excessive, nor was 214 when you pulled off the highway.

At least your finding out here, instead of going to the dealer and looking like an idiot........cause that's what I DID 2 years ago.:laughing: :rolling:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Take a hose and clean out your radiator. You will be amazed at the crap that comes out and it will almost certainly help lower your temps a bit if you have never done it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clean out the crap between radiator and condenser!

I've been reading all the posts about every thermostat temp from 160-200+ deg. what works and doesn't.
Having been about 10 years since I last replaced my radiator (although I do flush it myself or have it power flushed every year or so) I decided to pull off the radiator shroud just to see how much crap was there!
Boy!
As one other forum member said..you find everything in there!

No wonder vetts can't get cool or stay cool ever on the highway!
I pulled out shredded plastic grocery store bags, leaves, newspaper, pine needles...everything but the neighborhood stray cat!

So before you start to change out the thermostat clean out the crap!
I blew forward with compressed air thought the radiator as well as AC condenser as best I could.

I also drained out about a gallon of very green coolant from the radiator and replaced with clear tap water. Then added some of the green coolant i drained out back into the overflow tank ..just in case. I think my pure water to antifreeze mix was excessive on the antifreeze!

I started the car, AC on, radiator cap off and waited till the 180 thermo kicked in then gradually adding clear water till it was full while circulating. Put back on cap and good to go!

I have had a chip installed to turn on the main fans lower temp, 180 thermo and 200 on/185 of aux fan switch setup for several years now.
It was working great till over the last year or two the coolant temp was gradually getting higher-even after last summer power flush.

Now my around town as well as highway cruising temps are about 15-20 degrees lower than previous. Outside today in TX around 92-around town about 200-205 driving in traffic. Let the car sit idling for about 15 min. talking to a friend and it got up to about 215 but never warmer. Freeway about 70 MPH was right around 200 daytime and 188 at night with the AC on always.-day/night.

I think my problems were I had too much antifreeze in the system as well as the big problem of crap between the radiator and condenser.

I did bypass the throttle body yesterday too but I doubt that had much effect on the overall picture.

Just F.Y.I. for those having some cooling issues this summer!

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the fist link posted by Kool88 it says," When you get the thermostat drill 4 small holes in the body to allow a minimal constant flow. This will prevent "hot pockets" from building in your engine block and will help eliminate air from the cooling system."

I just wanted to know if it was worth doing? If it helps a sagnifigant amount?
And if so does the locations of the holes matters?

P.S. im lucky to get mine to go under 200 when its cold out side and in on the freeway

·
Registered
298 Posts
It works. 160' thermo drill 4 holes and you will notice a big difference. I found that it was not necessary to reprogram fans because the AC is on year round in deep south. No BS the 160 w/holes to prevent air in system really works My results are from normal 213'-218' down to 180'-189'. that is in 07c6 Z51 with 1293miles so far. IMOP.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know what I have for a thermostat, but my 87' will get up to about 214deg before dropping back to 174deg coolant and 185deg oil. I've learned on this site that these are acceptable ranges.:thumbsup:
The hack before me (previous owner) did very few things well. One of the things that impressed me was hardware cloth covering the intake at the bottom of the radiator. There will be no bags or large items getting between the air and my radiator.
I like the idea of drilling the holes in the new thermostat. I live in Mass. also. I'll be getting a 170 deg, because I don't want to do it more than once.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah i live in the south to so my AC runs constantly but, on theos very rare occausions that i do turn it off it will gradually go up to 220 230 range.
I usely get to scared to let it go above 224 not even that if i notice it soon enuff. If i flip the AC on it goes right back down to the range of 205.

I was also wondering if there was a spasific place and depth to drill the holes?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Drill the holes around the edge of the t-stat. You could also have your computer programmed to have the fans come on earlier. Check out pcmforless.com. They do a terrific job programming chips!
Bernie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drill the holes around the edge of the t-stat. You could also have your computer programmed to have the fans come on earlier. Check out pcmforless.com. They do a terrific job programming chips!
Bernie
I agree with Bernies... I just put in a updated PCM for PCMForless and it runs much cooler now that fans come on earlier. Also, noticed a SOTP gain and the car idles and even sounds better!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts