Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how hot should your LT4 be getting while setting in traffic ? Was at the 50th in Bowling Green this week and it creeped up to the notch below 250. Didn't know weather to keep looking at the thousands of great vettes or keep looking at my gauge.:lookinup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Michael Malone Smith said:
Just how hot should your LT4 be getting while setting in traffic ? Was at the 50th in Bowling Green this week and it creeped up to the notch below 250. Didn't know weather to keep looking at the thousands of great vettes or keep looking at my gauge.:lookinup:
The notch below 250? Was that on the analog... or the digital? On the digital it should always stay in the 230's or less while sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
sounds like you need a 160 deg Tstat & have the fans reprogrammed. My 94 Lt1 usually runs in the 178-190 deg range on hot days.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
250 :surprised Methinks thats too hot. Maybe time to clean out the bottom of the radiator, lots of trash gets trapped there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:huh: I was told that the 160 temp would make the vette use up more gas, computer does not like it Is this true? Would it be ok to run it without the termostat? My oil get up to about 250 in traffic and water get upto 230. :surprised I know I am running too hot, but then again it is very hot here lately in south florida.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Don't even think about running with out a thermostat. Without it you would take a long time warm up and you would actually run hotter! Without the thermostat the water would run through the radiator to fast to cool down. You would be circulateing hot water. Exen race cars that don't run a thermostat have a restrictor washer where the thermostat should be. It typically has a 1/2" hole to slow down the water and make it stay in the radiator long.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Bob88con said:
250 :surprised Methinks thats too hot. Maybe time to clean out the bottom of the radiator, lots of trash gets trapped there.
I agree.

Check and make certain nothing is trapped by the radiator.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Re: Re: Temp.

Patrick96LT4 said:
The notch below 250? Was that on the analog... or the digital? On the digital it should always stay in the 230's or less while sitting in traffic.
Yeah, I saw 236 digitally Saturday sitting in traffic in my LT1. That always scares the s--t out of me.

Hey, do you guys know why my analog reads +/- 10deg. higher than the digital? Is it simply a bad gauge?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Temp.

bkuper said:
Hey, do you guys know why my analog reads +/- 10deg. higher than the digital? Is it simply a bad gauge?
I'm pretty sure both gauges use different senders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rodriqua said:
:huh: I was told that the 160 temp would make the vette use up more gas, computer does not like it Is this true? Would it be ok to run it without the termostat? My oil get up to about 250 in traffic and water get upto 230. :surprised I know I am running too hot, but then again it is very hot here lately in south florida.
I agree, don't run without a stat.

A 160deg stat won't cause a drop in gas mileage; I still get 32mpg on a flat expressway with my 160deg stat. These are ideal for hot climates.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
65Z01 said:
I agree, don't run without a stat.

A 160deg stat won't cause a drop in gas mileage; I still get 32mpg on a flat expressway with my 160deg stat. These are ideal for hot climates.
I don't quite agree with you about the 160. Combustion chamber heat is a factor in combustion efficiency (gas mileage and power). If you're using a 160 and the cruise temp is 190, it will be 190 when using a 180 T-stat. The T-stat simply controls the coolest point the engines operates at.

The factory C4 cooling system is very well engineered. If the car is running too hot, then there is an obstruction somewhere, be it in air flow or water flow.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked the radiator its clean....could a water pump be going bad at 13,000 miles? Hope not

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Michael Malone Smith said:
Checked the radiator its clean....could a water pump be going bad at 13,000 miles? Hope not
Probably not. The only way to check the system is by systematically going through each detail. For example, a common occurance is the lower radiator hose collapsing. I wouldn't rule out the gauge itself malfunctioning. Analog gauges are usually +/- 10 degree acuracy, as are most senders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts