Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i finally fired up the car last nite after putting pumpn valve covers and all thos goodies on. the thing is runnin 220 on idle. i think it is becuase of the underdrive pulley on the new edelbrock pump. the car is currently runnin a 180 degree thermostat. should i go down to 160? thanks dudes

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
alright so i finally fired up the car last nite after putting pumpn valve covers and all thos goodies on. the thing is runnin 220 on idle. i think it is becuase of the underdrive pulley on the new edelbrock pump. the car is currently runnin a 180 degree thermostat. should i go down to 160? thanks dudes
Nope. A stat only controls "minimum" temps. Check mixture and timing. Too lean or too retarded will make it run warm.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep, thats correct. Would be a good idea to verify the temp also, the temp gauges are not all that accurite. You running stock fan clutch? How old is it? Does it work? Did you get all the air out of the system?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no im runnin a flex lite fan with no clutch, a new edelbropck water pump, and 180 stat. i still think it is the underdrive causing the slight rise in temp at idle. i havent really drivint he car much so ill let u kno today. i am specifically speaking bout the car sitting in idle for 30-45 mins

:cheers:

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
If it is running 220 at idle for 30 mins, that is pretty much normal. Even the owners manual says that in stop and go traffic you need to race your engine if temps go up! :thumbsup:

How much of an underdrive?

·
Registered
738 Posts
:agree: just sitting there idling the water circulation will be a little low due to the underdrive and the airflow will be low due to idle AND underdrive.
Drive it a bit, I bet it comes down.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
BTDT, heard too many stories over the decades...underdrive is for drag racing ONLY....alls you got is 1/2 mile trip coming back.....

on the street, i'ts death, especially in Florida/southern/SW climates....

IF you determined to stay with the UD system...you may wanna do a dual Spal setup, and a really nice HUGE radiator....like TomDeWitt sells....

the only solution I have found that works....nice....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Underdrives do cause the temps to go up because of the reduced water pump speed. Water Wetter is one of two products that Red Line makes that isn't junk . . No offense to those who love ester based lubes . .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so yesterday i threw in a 160 stat, and drove bout 50 miles on the highway and the temp wwas pegged at 220. didnt move. so screw it imma get rid of the stat. but is there any place online or soemthign that will sell an overdrive pulley? if not imma have to look into an electric fan. what do u guys think? pusher, puller? what about air pockets wats the easiest way to bleed this suker? i have no idea gimme some insight. thanks again

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
so yesterday i threw in a 160 stat, and drove bout 50 miles on the highway and the temp wwas pegged at 220. didnt move. so screw it imma get rid of the stat. but is there any place online or soemthign that will sell an overdrive pulley? if not imma have to look into an electric fan. what do u guys think? pusher, puller? what about air pockets wats the easiest way to bleed this suker? i have no idea gimme some insight. thanks again
Drill a couple of 1/8" holes in your 180* stat, and re-install it. The holes will prevent the air lock. Or, install a Robertshaw stat. Mr Gasket has them. They already have the holes, and have the advantage of "failing" open.

Why overdrive? Just re-install the stock pulley. Doc Rebuild would have them.

As for elecric, Spal fans are popular. They are pullers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:agree: well i have everythin chrome or polished so the stock pulley would look odd. but thanks ill drill that today! and run the sob. if not imma have to get a fan. tthanks bird

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
All Serious Drag Racers Will Tell You That Pusher Fans Block Air Flow - - Sucking Only And, If Possible, With A Shroud....

You Must Trust Me On This One.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts