Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Corvette is a car like no other...Someone had a dream about owning a Corvette, saved their money, or just paid cash or whatever and bought their Corvette.This isn't a Dodge Neon we are talking about but a Corvette.Even when I see a terrible looking Corvette I wonder what kind of potential it has, and wonder about the history of that car.I think its a shame when a Corvette goes to the crusher.If I could I would get a brand new one but I don't want to ever sell my 85.I still think it was a bad move to sell my split window.:surprised

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey, I'm one of those guy that always dreamed of owning a corvette and about 6mos ago got one. Picked up my badly neglected 93 for $2,600. My wife and son think it was a bad deal cause seems as soon as I fix one thing a week later something else gose out. The paint was pretty bad, rims scuffed, needs all the weather stripping and door panels replaced, seats too. All I got done is buffed out the paint. Nice on the eyes now. Haven't made it any further then that due to coil went out (towed home and fixed). Then a week later the water pump weep hole started leaking soaking the distributor. (Replaced those) The next day she starts cutting out. Ignition module plug not making good connection. Get that part on Tuesday. I still love the car though. I look at it as I get to spend more time with her. Hoping to get to put some miles on her sometime soon. :smack

·
Registered
265 Posts
I look at it like this. As long as you're buying the right parts for the right fix, it's not a waste of money but another step in the right direction. :cheers:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corvette

Hey, I'm one of those guy that always dreamed of owning a corvette and about 6mos ago got one. Picked up my badly neglected 93 for $2,600. My wife and son think it was a bad deal cause seems as soon as I fix one thing a week later something else gose out. The paint was pretty bad, rims scuffed, needs all the weather stripping and door panels replaced, seats too. All I got done is buffed out the paint. Nice on the eyes now. Haven't made it any further then that due to coil went out (towed home and fixed). Then a week later the water pump weep hole started leaking soaking the distributor. (Replaced those) The next day she starts cutting out. Ignition module plug not making good connection. Get that part on Tuesday. I still love the car though. I look at it as I get to spend more time with her. Hoping to get to put some miles on her sometime soon. :smack
Wow 2600 thats great!!! Congradulations on finding such a deal. I have some issues wiyh my 85,and plan on fixing them this winter.I like working on it. Before I got this car the original owner never drove this car in the rain.It is real nice underneath and I want to always have this car, even though I do want to have another...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I look at it like this. As long as you're buying the right parts for the right fix, it's not a waste of money but another step in the right direction. :cheers:
I agree .....but you could just get upset and go buy a new one for 54,000...My wife ask me why I bought such an old Corvette instead of a new one.I told her I liked her way of thinking so I took her to the Chevy dealer.Let her walk around the car where the window sticker was.She was shocked then told me what a great car I had and suggested that I put some money into it to get it like I wanted. My car is just as much a Corvette as that 54,999 dollar one so I feel lucky.I would like a new Grand Sport or Z06....so I am saving my money:thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my midlife crisis I decided to get a fast car. So it was between a 72 GTo..like the one I used to have or a vette. 72 GTO's are expensive and anything in my price range was a wreck. So I ended up with a 92 polo green vert..to bad the tranny went right after I bought it..then more stuff, apint was bad but I figured I would paint it some day. Well another 5 or 6 grand went into it and now its time to decide to paint it or not...but I just can't see dumping 7 grand into it and I doubt anyone else will. It runs great, stereo is great but it looks bad...so what to do....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buying aa book

For my midlife crisis I decided to get a fast car. So it was between a 72 GTo..like the one I used to have or a vette. 72 GTO's are expensive and anything in my price range was a wreck. So I ended up with a 92 polo green vert..to bad the tranny went right after I bought it..then more stuff, apint was bad but I figured I would paint it some day. Well another 5 or 6 grand went into it and now its time to decide to paint it or not...but I just can't see dumping 7 grand into it and I doubt anyone else will. It runs great, stereo is great but it looks bad...so what to do....
You made a great choice...A C4 is a great Corvette.I didn't think so at 1st but now i am hooked.Getting a car painted is expensive ....but there are some options
1. Buy a book on how to paint your car..Hot Rod and others has a book on that. The hardest part of painting is the prep.You can do alot on your own.Its kinda fun,but hard. Then you can ask a good paint shop to help you ,and they may have to finish the prep and paint it for you .
2. This is a neat way..I talked my brotheer into painting his car this way. It was so bad looking I didn't even think it was worth doing anything ....but I talked him into taking it to a Career Center and let the students work on it. They absolutely loved the challenge. The teacher made it a class project and everyone had a hand in it.It took a long time to get it painted but they kept it inside over the winter so that was great.The last of March they finished it up,and made a class picturee of it...the newspaper came in and took piictures,and it ended up in the year book. What a beautiful job they did. It still needs interior work but the paint was fantastic.
Although I will probably paint my own it is tempting for me to go back to the career center and get mine done..They have a fantastic paint booth. Anyhow good luck and remember your car is a Corvette...thats just not a ordinary car.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
do the repairs right, and you wont have to do them for maybe a decade

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
This thread rocks :partyon:
Pure Vette enthusiasm.
As for the paint, how about just learning to paint yourself? I did that on my C5. There is nothing in this world like being able to do all the work on your car. It's great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I had a big enough garage..or a garage at all I could figure out how to paint it..just like I figure out how to fix it..I've been working on cars and machines for about 30 years. right now I live in a co op so the car sits at my girlfriends house under a cover...the weather is killing it slowly..like the other days rainstorm..the interior is wet. It might be another year before I can get another house. I've been really looking into wrapping it..you can get very creative and the quality of the wrap is very good now..much higher resolution.

·
Registered
265 Posts
mfi, welcome to the forum. Yeah, then there's the interior work, dash, instrumentation, center console, carpet, seats but when it's done, I'm sure it'd be a pretty sight to see! For 7k I hope they include the door jambs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A full wrap from the best around is around 2.5 to 3K...the problem will be if it will stick to the crappy paint..the clear is peeling off. Now if I have to have it primed..I might as well get it painted...but then I need a garage to keep it it. catch 22.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My Vett needed alot of help when I purchased it.
Ther car sat out side for 7 years in a open field it took its told on it.

Needed Paint new intreior tires and I just put a new motor drive train Ect..

So hang In there it takes time a lot of money time and.

Buit the most ugly Vett I can remember my self or the butcher job was on the Moive Corvette Summer LOL.

Some found that car nice I never did they put a lot work into ti but not what I would of done.

Picture of the Corvette summer Car Link:
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1224&bih=478

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not in the boat alone I see. After fixing this, that, the other and then some I start thinking a $6k dream paint job would be sweet to look at but not practical (as I fix more things down the road) How often will my beloved Vette keep breaking down is the ??? I have taught myself how to paint over the years with some really good results. PREP is the key. Sprayed a few cars outside and they came out great with nothing stuck to it.

So what would it hurt to shoot my vette myself till I get all the bugs worked out of her. Then she'll look better without dipping into repair funds. On top of that then I'll have the paint bragging rights.

I think every car buff should try their hand at the prep and paint. The compliments ya get after makes all the hard work worth it. If it comes out not so good then at least you tried right. Then break out the check book for a few $K

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
A Corvette is a car like no other...Someone had a dream about owning a Corvette, saved their money, or just paid cash or whatever and bought their Corvette.This isn't a Dodge Neon we are talking about but a Corvette.Even when I see a terrible looking Corvette I wonder what kind of potential it has, and wonder about the history of that car.I think its a shame when a Corvette goes to the crusher.If I could I would get a brand new one but I don't want to ever sell my 85.I still think it was a bad move to sell my split window.:surprised

You think you made a bad move???????:huh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was at Corvettes at Vanderbuilt today..saw some really mint ones..and realized that the only way to have anything like them is ...to buy them this way. Saw a callaway zr1, one of 11...man that was the cream of the crop. Oh, saw an original Baldwin motion c3 that just went under a 2 year resto...after the original owner bought it back after 39 years..amazing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bad move?

You think you made a bad move???????:huh:
Well at the time I didn't think it was a bad move. I had just got back from the hospital a month before from my wife having a baby girl and we had a 4,000 dollar hospital bill. I was offered 5500 for my split window..it needed work and I let it go. I still dream about it though,but I truely love my 85.It doesn't have all the pazazzzz that the 63 had but it is nice. So there you have it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts