Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ace of October went through the New York Yankees like a buzzsaw again, striking out 13 and pitching the Texas Rangers to an 8-0 victory Monday for a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven AL Championship Series.

Josh Hamilton hit an early two-run homer off Andy Pettitte and started a six-run outburst in the ninth with a leadoff double. Lee allowed only two singles in eight innings and became the first pitcher to reach double digits in strikeouts three times in one postseason.

''I'm not satisfied with that,'' he said. ''We still have some work to do here. A lot of fun to come into New York and get this first one. Hopefully we can come out here tomorrow and pick up where we left off.''

Mr. Automatic improved to 7-0 with a 1.26 ERA in eight postseason starts. Three of those wins have come against the power-packed Yankees, including two in last year's World Series for Philadelphia.

New York won the other four games against the Phillies to take home its 27th championship, but now faces a tall task if it plans to repeat. The Yankees must win three straight against the resilient Rangers to advance without facing Lee in a decisive Game 7 at Texas.

Game 4 is Tuesday night, and the Yankees will start struggling right-hander A.J. Burnett, who hasn't pitched since Oct. 2. Tommy Hunter goes for Texas in his first career start at Yankee Stadium.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I love October baseball! Even though my White Sox did not make the post season, I tend to always root for the underdog. (In the case of the Yankees-Twins series, I just didn't watch). :down:

Go Rangers! (Plus it would be nice to add another team onto the list of teams who have won a World Series since the Cubs). :devil:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Get your laughs in now because Lee probably won't
be in Texas next year, remember his contract is up.
There will be so much money on the table from every
other team it will be almost impossible for Cliff to
turn it down. And that my friend is the problem with baseball, as with every other field of endeavor. Money talks and bullshit walks, and probably the best pitcher
in the game will be on the move.

I've been a NYY's fan for more years than I care to
remember and Texas will probably blow them out.
They have had no pitching, no hitting and absolutely
no focus, and no excuse except a manager not
putting a size eleven where the sun don't shine, but
they'll be back next year.

God bless Texas and the Rangers. That surely was
an ass whoopin' last night. I used a whole seasons
worth of crying towels and cursed my giant screen TV because the loss might not have looked so bad on a
black and white, 13" TV, back in '57.:laughing:.

If the NNY's don't have a miracle, I hope Ron Washington
and the boys go all the way. If they meet up with
Philly, Oh mama, I think they will have their hands full.

Damn, I love baseball !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
All I can say is wow.. I never really thought they would make it this far. :laughing:
I watch every game, and they are a very good team. Their weakness is that they go through several stone cold spells with the bats throughout the season. They may go 7-10 days and look like the Yankees last night. All of a sudden the heavens will open and the bats will be on fire again. Thank goodness they came out of one of those spells right at the end of the season and , so far, are playing like we Rangers fans expect. They have played the Yankees 27 innings in this series and basically won all of them except the 8th in game one. Tonight will be tough with our young 4th pitcher going. He can be very good, but he can also get knocked around pretty good too. Great series!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I knew Lee would embarass the Yankees.

If the Rangers can get game 4, they should tap him again for game 5.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I knew Lee would embarass the Yankees.

If the Rangers can get game 4, they should tap him again for game 5.
I think his normal rotation time would make him available for game 7. I'm pretty sure they will pitch C.J. Wilson tomorrow and Colby Lewis in game 6. Both have outpitched the Yankees already in this series. That saves Lee for game 7 if needed, and if not needed, he is ready for game 1 of the world series if they make it that far.

P.S. As much as I want them to win, I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. The Yankees play very well with their backs against the wall. If I were a betting man, my money would still probably be on the Yankees. (Exept for my bet with Ponch which is a sucker bet. :D)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You know what, if the TR's win tonight, and I were Ron Washington, I'd call on Lee for the fifth game and tell him to just keep us in it till the 5th or 6th inning and then get my next best starter out there for one or two and take the win. The pitchers can rest while they wait for Spring training. You only get a shot at the big show once in a while, when you're hot. You have to take advantage of it.

The TR's only really had one good inning last night and I think the NYY's had given up the ghost by that time.
Nobody on the Yanks is really hitting so the challenge was
minimal. I'm not taking anything away from Texas, but
they need to take the bull by the horns and grab the brass ring, now.

If Burnett tosses tonight, this is the perfect opportunity.
Hes got some great stuff, when hes on, but hes pitching like crapola this year. Everybody is hitting him. Look at
Sabathia, 20 game winner and he blew his last two starts.
Even Pettittee let in runs in the first inning. How many times can you expect your team to be up for a comeback win. Girardi left Hughes in too long the other night.
A starter who lets in 6 runs is no good for the team. I know you don't want to tax the Bull Pen, but again, how many times can you come back.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Get your laughs in now because Lee probably won't
be in Texas next year, remember his contract is up.
There will be so much money on the table from every
other team it will be almost impossible for Cliff to
turn it down. And that my friend is the problem with baseball, as with every other field of endeavor. Money talks and bullshit walks, and probably the best pitcher
in the game will be on the move.

I've been a NYY's fan for more years than I care to
remember and Texas will probably blow them out.
They have had no pitching, no hitting and absolutely
no focus, and no excuse except a manager not
putting a size eleven where the sun don't shine, but
they'll be back next year.

God bless Texas and the Rangers. That surely was
an ass whoopin' last night. I used a whole seasons
worth of crying towels and cursed my giant screen TV because the loss might not have looked so bad on a
black and white, 13" TV, back in '57.:laughing:.

If the NNY's don't have a miracle, I hope Ron Washington
and the boys go all the way. If they meet up with
Philly, Oh mama, I think they will have their hands full.

Damn, I love baseball !!!!!!!!!!
Everyone in Texas is well aware that Lee is falls in the category of rent-a-pitcher. He may well get the biggest pitcher contract in history before next season, and the Rangers can't compete in that kind of bidding war. There is a 90+% chance he will be a Yankee next year - especially after the ass kicking he gave them last night. So, yes, we are simply going to enjoy it while we have him. :cheers:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I watch every game, and they are a very good team. Their weakness is that they go through several stone cold spells with the bats throughout the season. They may go 7-10 days and look like the Yankees last night. All of a sudden the heavens will open and the bats will be on fire again. Thank goodness they came out of one of those spells right at the end of the season and , so far, are playing like we Rangers fans expect. They have played the Yankees 27 innings in this series and basically won all of them except the 8th in game one. Tonight will be tough with our young 4th pitcher going. He can be very good, but he can also get knocked around pretty good too. Great series!
You should be very happy after tonight's game, you'll be up 3-1. Burnett has no business being on the post season roster let alone starting a game. He's 0-13 in his last 22 starts with a 6.00+ ERA. He's a terrible waste of money and amounts to a flash of brilliance once or twice a year seperated by little league efforts in between. Going to the bottom of the first tonight the Rangers will be up by at least 4 runs. :partyon:

BTW TEx, I'm a vegetarian now. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
You should be very happy after tonight's game, you'll be up 3-1. Burnett has no business being on the post season roster let alone starting a game. He's 0-13 in his last 22 starts with a 6.00+ ERA. He's a terrible waste of money and amounts to a flash of brilliance once or twice a year seperated by little league efforts in between. Going to the bottom of the first tonight the Rangers will be up by at least 4 runs. :partyon:
Tonight could be a scorefest both ways. Hunter is a good young talent, but very inconsistent. He won something like his first 9 starts of the season - his first full season as a starter. But after the All-Star break, he lost more than he won. And when he lost, he was usually gone by the third inning. I guess with both pitchers, it just depends on which version shows up tonight. Should be interesting, though.

BTW TEx, I'm a vegetarian now. :laughing:
What? After that massive search I did to find a bone-in filet? :laughing:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Tonight could be a scorefest both ways. Hunter is a good young talent, but very inconsistent. He won something like his first 9 starts of the season - his first full season as a starter. But after the All-Star break, he lost more than he won. And when he lost, he was usually gone by the third inning. I guess with both pitchers, it just depends on which version shows up tonight. Should be interesting, though.
The Yankees never hit a pitcher they haven't faced much, they'll make him look like the second coming of Sandy Koufax tonight.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The Yankees never hit a pitcher they haven't faced much, they'll make him look like the second coming of Sandy Koufax tonight.

You are right there on that call, Ponch. Even rookies give them a bad time. They don't have a clue when they step
into the batters box..

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And Again

Rangers score 10 in route of NY Yankees.

NY: AP
No disputing this: The Texas Rangers are routing the New York Yankees and are now just one win from their first trip to the World Series.

Bengie Molina hit a go-ahead, three-run homer off A.J. Burnett in the sixth inning, Josh Hamilton added a pair of solo drives to give him four in four games and the Rangers battered the Yankees 10-3 Tuesday night for a 3-1 lead in the AL championship series.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Too bad my dad isn't around to see this, he was hoping to have a team with a title shot since '72. Been a long time coming. :cheers:

At least one area pro team is playing like a pro team.. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Too bad my dad isn't around to see this, he was hoping to have a team with a title shot since '72. Been a long time coming. :cheers:

At least one area pro team is playing like a pro team.. :laughing:
I'm like your Dad. I was 22 when the Rangers came to town. I'm 60 and never thought I would see them have a chance for a World Series. I watch over 90% of their games during the season and I go to 5-6 games a year. Unlike my fair-weather fan relationship with the Cowboys, I love my Rangers win or lose. This is great. I just hope they can keep it up. :thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
The Yankees have been soundly out played in all four games so far. Their starting pitching has been average while the bull pen has imploded on a daily basis. They have been unable to get a timely hit and have left way to many runners on base. And for those who say they'll really miss Texeira's bat tonight obviously haven't seen him go 0-14 in this series. They'll miss his glove but Berkman can hold his own at first.

The only hope they have of getting back to Texas is to get at least 8 strong innings from Sabathia and hand it to Mariano. Other than that the best they can hope for is a bag full of champagne bottles from the visitor's clubhouse they can return for the deposit. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Hmmm, the thread title doesn't exactly fit today. C.J. Wilson just couldn't control his pitches yesterday. He has been that way about 1 out of 4 games this year. Well, we have two more shots at it - at home, so you still have to consider the Rangers to be in the driver's seat. Both pitching matchups are about equal with TX having a slight edge when Cliff Lee pitches on Saturday. It's turned into a very interesting series....unless you are a Yankees fan. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
If the Rangers wrap things up, it's looking like they'll be facing the Giants.

Unfortunately for me, the Phils aren't getting the job done. :down:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts