Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for my panel of C3 experts....

I have a stock 78SA/L48/auto trans and would like to know how, where etc can I find the kickdown cable that I think runs from the tranny to the Q-Jet.

Any and all comments, help and pix would be most appreciated and welcome.

mk's78 aka mike

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Are you looking for a replacement or looking for it on your car?

I may have an 1978 detent cable if you need one.

There would be a bracket for the throttle cable and detent at the carb where the cable end mounts, and the other end goes into the transmission.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kickdown cable assy???

D_B

Thanks for reply. I don't need a cable but thanks anyway. My Q-jet has one cable on a bracket the runs into the firewall and the other cable seems to run down between the engine and firewall under the car towards the tranny. So my quess is that is the kickdown cable, right?

Also, is there any adjustment on the k/d cable at either end.

mk's78 aka mike

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
As you suspect, the cable that runs down the firewall to the right side of the car is the kickdown or detent cable. Adjustment is made at the bracket just aft of the carb where both the throttle cable and detent cables run thru it. There are 2 types of adjusters. One is a "D" shaped metal tab that is pressed down to release- press it down, when it releases, the center of the housing will move toward the carb under spring pressure. To adjust, move it all the way back, then open the throttle all the way open, push the center housing back as far as it will go, and release the tab.
The other style is adjusted the same way, but the adjuster is unlocked with a screwdriver. On the back side of the bracket, there's a round 1/2" thick plastic ring. The lock is in the top of that and is popped up to release.

Either one can be adjusted in or out to suit how you want it to behave. The detent shift point can be tailored to suit you by making the cable longer or shorter.

***On a 350 or 350C trans, all the cable does is provide some shift feel input (not all) and the detent downshift. The 700-R4 and 200-4R trans will cook if the cable is adjusted like you would a 350.***

1 - 4 of 4 Posts