Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time lurker but I finally was able to get into my 1st Vette - 07 C6 A6 3LT F55 upon my return from Iraq (Basrah Province). First let me say THANK YOU :partyon: to all members as it was ya'll that conviced me to succumb to the vette bug and it was ya'll that brought bits of the USA to me when I was over there.

I grew up driving (racing;) ) old Chevy's (i.e. '72 396 BB/Muncie 4 spd Vega, '72 350/TH350 Chevelle, and '65 427 BB/TH400 Chevelle) and a couple of never modded Ford's (sorry :spanked: '98 GT Mustang. '00 Lightning)

I have had my 07 for 2 months and the modding bug has bit and bit hard but I need some advice please. Being VERY unfamiliar with computer controlled cars I am unsure of the following mods as they apply to newer hot rods. All of my knowledge when it comes to "upgrades" applies to NA carbed SB/BB chevys.

- I already have ordered and am waiting on my CAI, LG headers and Borla Stinger w/X-pipe plus several cosmetic upgrades:thumbsup: .

These are the Questions :huh: I have for all of you:

1. Is a new HP High flow MAF (Granatelli) needed or recommended for the '07 LS2? (I have seen threads that say the stock is good enough until cam/intake/heads are added, but would adding one...would it hurt, help. or Nothing?

2. Is a new 160 T-stat needed or recommended? (again...threads that say the LS2 needs higher temps to operate at its hightest efficiency :surprised ...this goes against every fiber in my being as a cooler motor generates more HP...but I could (and am often) wrong.

3. Is a Predator Sport tuner worth the $ and will it do any good? Please bare in mind that I move to Germany w/military in 6 wks and will not have access to a reputable Tuner if for any reason I need to have something fixed under warranty. I fully understand that a custom Tune is the best but being overseas, will the Predator handheld help the car?

I appreciate all postees and repliers as ya'll have assisted in guiding me the right direction so far and I have all the faith in the world.

Once again...a gi-normous THANK YOU

SA Chris Olson, AFOSI - USAF (btw - I am moving to Germany and want to "kill" some Euro boys, gotta have more HP before I go)

budget = (another) $4K

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
sorry this is no help

but welcome to dc and thanks for your service over seas :cheers:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome back! Will give just my 2cents here, as I don't have headers.

No need for a new MAF, and many say do not remove the screen on the LS2. 160 is open to discussion. Most seem to like it and think it is worthwhile--certainly a cheap enough mod; others say it affects water burn off (don't agree) in oil, lessens heater output in really cold weather, or several other negatives. I don't have one, but if I lived in AZ or some other god forsaken oven, I would get one. Going to Deutschland, you probably can pass.

Have, and like the Predator. New 93 octane tune for headers should be great for your car, you can download updates anywhere from a PC, turns off cags, kills TM on six speeds, and is a scan tool to boot. Plus, you can turn the fans on higher output--which I did do, and adjust AFR, fuel map, timing, etc yourself. Get it, you'll be happy you did.

Long time ago, after F-4 training, my partner got send to Reinmain as I left for Thailand...he loved it. Germany has changed a bit since then, but you will too. :cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome back! Will give just my 2cents here, as I don't have headers.

No need for a new MAF, and many say do not remove the screen on the LS2. 160 is open to discussion. Most seem to like it and think it is worthwhile--certainly a cheap enough mod; others say it affects water burn off (don't agree) in oil, lessens heater output in really cold weather, or several other negatives. I don't have one, but if I lived in AZ or some other god forsaken oven, I would get one. Going to Deutschland, you probably can pass.

Have, and like the Predator. New 93 octane tune for headers should be great for your car, you can download updates anywhere from a PC, turns off cags, kills TM on six speeds, and is a scan tool to boot. Plus, you can turn the fans on higher output--which I did do, and adjust AFR, fuel map, timing, etc yourself. Get it, you'll be happy you did.

Long time ago, after F-4 training, my partner got send to Reinmain as I left for Thailand...he loved it. Germany has changed a bit since then, but you will too. :cheers:
Thanks for the reply...I appreciate your insights.

btw - did you download the new program for the predator or leave it original. just curious

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I appreciate your insights.

btw - did you download the new program for the predator or leave it original. just curious
Downloaded and installed th 93 octane tune--even though I only get 91 oct here in CO, the altitude allows for the same timing as if it was 93. I'm guessing you're in OSI, right?

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, No, and No.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Downloaded and installed th 93 octane tune--even though I only get 91 oct here in CO, the altitude allows for the same timing as if it was 93. I'm guessing you're in OSI, right?
How did you guess?:D

We are not all bad guys but I can admit we are all a little bit arrogant, I would like to think I am one of the few who can seperate work from personal life. BTW My folks live in Fountain and I will be there hopefully around the first of Nov. Maybe we can hook up and :cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hey man, thanks for serving in the military!:thumbsup: :cheers: Hope you like your Vette(it seems as though you do;) ), and hope you like Stuttgart(looks like you'll be kicking some Porsche-poser butt!:laughing: :devil: :thumbsup: ):buhbye:

·
Registered
565 Posts
How did you guess?:D

We are not all bad guys but I can admit we are all a little bit arrogant, I would like to think I am one of the few who can seperate work from personal life. BTW My folks live in Fountain and I will be there hopefully around the first of Nov. Maybe we can hook up and :cheers:
I was in black ops before coming here, and worked closely with a certain det of OSI. Good guys. They were really interested in my experiences in SEA back in the day--their boss was there, as well, but a few years before me.

Let me know when you're around in Nov, I have to go TDY late Oct or early Nov, but if here we can toss a few!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts