Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted my Dad's 1977 Corvette. I tried to buy it before I bought my 2007, he could name the price, but he wouldn't sell it to me. For my 30th birthday, my Dad GAVE ME HIS CORVETTE! Its a light blue/silver 1977 coupe, with light gray interior. This is the car that made me a car nut since I was about 6 years old. I can't wait to get it back on the road.

Here are some details:
-112,000 miles, repainted in the late 1980s (maybe 1,000 miles since the repaint)
-Original engine replaced in 1985, with a crate engine, not sure about the power, but Dad says its significantly more powerful than the original.
-We think it has the rare close-ratio 4speed.. can anyone help me identify what it has?
-Has the rare stainless steel horn button that was discontinued in early 1977 thanks to Ralph Nader
-original interior
-exhaust system replaced 6 yrs ago, removed the cats

Needs a few things:
-4speed trans is stuck in reverse
-needs the Q-jet rebuilt, secondaries don't fully open
-replace the tires. tires are about 20 yrs old but have about 1000 miles on them. kinda scared to drive on tires that old.
-master cylinder replaced 6 yrs ago
-The car has not been driven in 6 yrs, and several years have passed since it was started... besides draining and replacing the gas/oil, anything else I need to do before it goes on the road?

I am so excited to get this car back on the road!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Definitely replace the tires. They will probably fall apart as soon as they heat up. The brake calipers will need rebuilding also. If they are stainless-steel lined I'd recommend using a Vette Brakes & Products O-ring rebuild kit. The kits are more expensive than stock kits but you won't have to rebuild the calipers again in 2 years. If the calipers are original and do not have stainless bores they are probably pitted and useless by now. Trade them in at AutoZone or Advance for rebuilts with stainless liners and when those start to leak rebuild them with the VB&P O-ring kit.

Drain and replace all of the fluids, squirt some oil into all of the cylinders and make sure you can turn the engine by hand and you should be ready for a test fire. I'd fill the radiator with plain water at first since I wouldn't be suprised if the radiator leaks when the thermostat opens.

You probably should try to get the trans out of reverse before trying to start the car. Maybe the clutch and pressure plate have rusted together from sitting.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Very nice car. It would probably start up as is like my 82 did after sitting for 4 years however you really need to pay attention to the little things and go ahead and replace them for reliability and safety concerns.

I would definetly replace the oil and gas. I would also go ahead and get new plugs, wires, and maybe distributor cap depending on the shape it is in.

I would also recommend flushing the coolant system and replacing the fluid there as well.

Definetly replace th tires, after sitting that long they are probably dry rotted and possibly flat spotted as well.

check all the fuses and lights.

also since you need to rebuild the q-jet you might want to consider a whole new intake and carb for a little more pefromance and to open up that crate engine a little more. if you are running the stock stuff its probably a good restriction.

Check the mufflers and make sure something hasnt decided to take up a home in there, if something built a nest it could start a fire when your driving it, even though its garage kept something could still get in there.

I would also flush the brake system out as well, and probably power steering fluid as well.

basicly any routine maintince you can think of is a good idea on a 30 year old car especially one sitting up for 6 years.

·
Registered
411 Posts
that is a beautiful car, i would kill for mine to have looked like that when i first got it.. i have always wanted a 77. i dont know why, cuz theres not really much of a difference between the 77 and a 75, but somethin about it i have just always liked

·
Registered
910 Posts
Nice car.:thumbsup:

Change the oil and filter, fresh gas all the way to the carb and fire it up, at least a few heat cycles or trips around the block, to free things up and go from there.

Flushing the cooling system and brakes is important.
Carb will probably need a kit, but it may run fairly well to fire it.
Clean all the electical grounds and battery cable ends.
Short trips will show up things like cracked belts, hoses, leaky calipers etc.

BTW, that rare horn cap isn't stainless, it's a brushed finish pot metal, chrome plated. It's a shame they were changed.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Nice garage find!!! :D

Love the color. That's one nice ride! :agree:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hope you gave your old man a hug!

With regards to the carb, set up properly, it will probably out perform any after market ubit on your engine.
The secondaries will not open fully on a cold engine as there is a lock out to prevent this happening. Fiddle with the choke linkage and you should see it.
When you get it running, the secondaries will only open under load, ie on the road. You will not get them to open by sitting the car in the driveway and revving the engine.

Get some new oil, fresh gas, charge the battery and turn the key. It will help to dribble a little fuel directly in to the carb to help prevent too much cranking before she fires up!

Good luck and post more pics!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Very cool. I would follow the advice on the brakes, tires, and fluids.
The 4 speeds were supposed to lock in reverse with the ignition off, maybe you have a cable issue with the inter-lock?

Reverse is a direct mechanical engagement, chances are that is not the problem. I would get it in the air and look over the cable setup and see if that is it, otherwise disconnect the linkage and see if you can engage the trans.

Here is a Super T-10 which you should have in yours. If you have the CR it would have come with 370 gears most likely. There is a stamp code on the trans you can look up the ratio.
CR were 243 and WR 264 first gear.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
What a beauty... I love the color too...

Congratulations man !!! Keep her safe, git r done !!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
That color is too cool!:surprised:thumbsup:

Nice parents you have there, do they want to adopt me too?:D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats!!! Probably the only better fun you can have with 2 vettes is to get your dad's up and running and then go for a father & son cruise together with you in your newer vette and your dad in his vette. I do this with my dad but opposite as I have the 1969 and he has a 2009.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind comments! I very much want to do a cruise with both cars, Dad can drive whichever one he wants

The carb secondaries didn't open fully (on the road) 6 yrs ago which was the last time it was driven. Dad told me the carb was placed on the new engine in 1985, without a rebuild. I'm thinking after 33 yrs its probably time to rebuild it. The brakes are the stainless steel ones, I can remember my dad telling me they were pretty expensive when replaced, 25 or so years ago....I'm gonna put it up on jackstands and bring the wheels over to the store for replacement.

Thanks for the pics/tips on the transmission, I'll try to monkey around with it, but I imagine it will go to a shop to be fixed properly. I was the last to drive it 6 yrs ago when the trans got stuck in Reverse, I had parked the car in Dad's driveway and we went outside later to move it, and the trans stuck. A little more history... a few years earlier the car wouldn't go into either First or Second, after a full throttle missed shift from 1 into 2(by me). Dad parked it b/c he just didnt want to screw with it. A few years later the trans went into 1 and 2 just fine. All I know about transmissions is how to ruin them!
:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Regarding your transmission, it sounds like you may have a sloppy (worn) selector.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of that interior. 1977 was the first model corvette I drove back in 1987 when my father bought one. Oh yeah, get rid of the luggage rack too. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like to see some pictures of that interior. 1977 was the first model corvette I drove back in 1987 when my father bought one. Oh yeah, get rid of the luggage rack too. :laughing:
No way Ponch.. i like the luggage rack! I'll get more pics after I get the car out of his garage and clean it up...:cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts