Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make a longer story shorter. Last November my car had "jumped time". This was something I had no experience in at all. After my initial panic, I researched parts I would need and parts I wanted to replace while I had them off as a convenience, including correct color paints. While waiting for items to arrive I had no problem stripping the front of the motor of accessories. But the following is the list of things I was able to do correctly the first time thanks to this forum:

- remove and reinstall harmonic balancer and tools needed
- remove and reinstall new timing gears and tools needed
- readjusting valves
- proper "timing" for performance
- bolt torque specs
- easiest way to remove oilpan, the one piece gasket rocks

I finally completed my project today(work, the holidays and two blizzards took its toll). The car has always run great, but after todays test drive it runs and drives even better.
I threw in a couple of pics of the finish product, I figure my fellow vette-a-holics would be my biggest critics. Thanks again for the help. DC rocks

see ya,,,,Mike

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Very nice looks like it is still on the new dealers show room floor!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lookin Killer Man! Good work! Hey, those valve covers are looking so cool now, I'll buy 'em off ya! LOL!
Keepin my eye out for a set, but the prices are thru the roof!
:cheers:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the compliments, much appreciated. Funny thing is was, a couple of times I thought I was gonna have to eat off the motor, my wife would bring my dinner out to the garage.

today's test run didnt fare as well as yesterday's. the motor was still hummin along but once got back to the house, I saw radiator fluid on the garage floor. turned out it was coming out the weep hole of my brand new frickin water pump! aint that a kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm jealous of your engine bay:laughing: That car looks very sharp and you could eat off that pretty engine bay but I wouldn't:thumbsup::thumbsup::laughing:. As for the water pump that does suck:down: What brand were you running?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks 72, I dont know what brand it was, thats a good question. I ordered it from Zip Prod. with the rest of my parts. It was in a white box with no label. thats usually how my luck runs though. If I remember correctly, our family crest has a black cat on it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Your luck proceeds mine definitely:laughing: Was it a new one or remaned one? I've had bad luck with my suspension as I've had to redo somethings and stuff not cracking up to what it was suppose to be. I hope you get that issue solved and get back on the road pronto:thumbsup: Mine will be several months before it returns home.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was new. it shouldnt take too long, for some reason it only seems like yesterday when I replaced it. :laughing:. think I'm just gonna truck right on down to my local auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What chain parts stores do you have around you? If they carry GMB brand water pumps they're pretty good. Whatever you do, buy the one with the best warranty so if your luck does proceed you you'll be covered. Have fun:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Looks good. Too bad about the pump though. But just think you will have changing that part down doing it 2 times back to back. :laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts