Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
As screwed up as that group is....they "do" have their right to Free Speech. As despicable, ignorant, and hate filled as the idiots are, they are in the right. Do I like it?? HELL NO!!

The problem I have with stopping this group is that when you infringe on someones rights, and you justify it, because of how emotionally upsetting it is; it only sets a dangerous precedence to take away your other rights allowed under the constitution.

I LOVE the bikers who go to the funerals and stand directly in front of these jack-asses and block them, their shouting, their signs, and help to shield the family and friends of our fallen heroes from from these assholes. These bikers are also exercising their Free Speech by showing their opposition to the protesters.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There's a time and place for everything. I am not sure freedom of speech replaces choosing an appropriate time and place, such as yelling FIRE! in a theater.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There's a time and place for everything. I am not sure freedom of speech replaces choosing an appropriate time and place, such as yelling FIRE! in a theater.
:agree: completely!!

It is NOT free speech when you endanger someone else's life, that has already been ruled on by the courts, and justifably so.

Just because you have freedom of speech, to say what you want, doesn't necessarily make it right.

It seems to me that we; as a country, have lost a lot of common sense.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This is a very sticky situation. Both sides have a compelling argument, but whichever way the court rules there are Constitutional consequences.

IMO, the church members have the right to protest the war AND the family has the right to bury their son with out the distraction of the protests. The court should issue a very narrow decision banning protests at military funerals. This should not be an infringement upon the church's right to free speech and assembly because they are protesting the actions of our government, not that soldier or family. They should have every right to protest in front on Congress, the WH, in Arlington National Cemetary when no funeral is occuring, etc. Since they are able to protest almost anywhere and any time, restricting their right to the cemetary during a funeral would not be an infringement on their rights.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I guess the first thing that needs to be decided is...WHAT IS FREE SPEACH......seems like a stupid question don't it, but if you think about it the answer would probubly fill a book

Here's just a simple example (anybody can come up with one, there are millions and millions of them)

You own a business, you workers are upset about your benefit package, Your workers familys decide they will make you life tuff on the weekends. They show up at you house (by the dozens) and stand out front of your house from sun rise to sunset both Saturday and Sunday). They taunt you every time you go out side, they leave trash behind, take your picture, they become an obstical when you want to leave your drive way and they post things about you in the paper. (Remember the police have not found anybody in violation) and this goes on for over a year

When does this cross the line from free speach to harrasment?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Why aren't there groups going to their churches and making their lives miserable during their services?

Tit for tat? :huh:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Why aren't there groups going to their churches and making their lives miserable during their services?

Tit for tat? :huh:
Very good question! :smack

Lets put together some "GOD DOESN'T EXIST" posters and see what happens. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
As Dun said this is messed up. My personal feeling are they all should have their signs yanked out of their hands and run out of town. Of course that would be breaking the law. Whacko's.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I hate the idea, but it is their right to free speech. Now, if someone would pass a law making it a misdemeanor to slap the dogshit out of these psycho-religious zealots and fine anyone that beats on them $10.00, payable to the constable on duty then I think the problem would solve itself. There would be a line and it would be long. No names or anything to the cops, just your $10.00 fine. They couldn't sue because they don't have your name.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Some of the church people are the biggest hypocrits/sinners.:crazy: Free speech can go to far and I believe this has.:down: Shameful

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Very good question! :smack

Lets put together some "GOD DOESN'T EXIST" posters and see what happens. :laughing:
:laughing: You wouldn't really want to attack the majority of the nation.. there are plenty of ways to hit them with the bible. :thumbsup:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"

"Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord"

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

"God said, Love thy neighbor".

These people pervert Christianity and it's disgusting.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Funerals are not normally public events, therefore I can't see how these jackasses could ever be justified under free speech. There are other forums to protest your views why choose a funeral?? If god forbid anything happened to one of my troops and these jokers rolled in you would be hard pressed to keep me from doing something I shouldn't.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I guess shoving one those signs up their keester is a way of exercising one's freedon of speech.

It's just a different way of holding it. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts