Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2005 Mustang is being prepared for an international debut at the Detroit show in January, but this week TCC has more detailed pics of the most anticipated new-car introduction of the year.

At first glance this Mustang might look heavily camouflaged, but it's simply wearing a static-cling-like plastic sheet with a fuzzy worm design - likely there to fool the camera's focusing system, "bras" front and rear, and a bit of cloth to cover small Shelby-like rear quarter windows - similar to those found on the 1965 and 1966 Shelby 2+2 Fastback GT350.

This Mustang coupe, upon closer examination, is as production-ready as they get, including gauges, and the finished interior.

Our own Mustang expert, collector and enthusiast, Franklin Nickerson, provided us several additional observations after accompanying us when we took these exclusive photographs:

The roofline of the 2005 model has virtually the same silhouette as the 1967 and 1968 2+2 fastback.

The 2005 grille has four individual headlamps, as did the 1967 Shelby and 1969 Mustang.

The taillights for 2005 are three side-by-side, like all Mustangs from 1964.5 through 1970. However the backup lights are on the bottom of the inside lens.

The license plate has moved down below the bumper, as on the 1964.5 through 1973.

The interior instrument area has two clusters in chrome, and - our expert insists - looks just like the 1967-1968 dash. The upper area has two chrome A/C-heat vents on the same level as the instrument cluster.

Did the 2005 Mustang pass in the eyes of an enthusiast? Well, he walked right up to the test engineers and offered them a check on the spot. We think Mr. Nickerson will be one of the first to order a new Mustang, but he's holding out for the convertible.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
It would appear that the Corvette C6 will be unveiled the same day as the Mustang at the NAIAS in January.

How cool is that? New Vette, and new Stang, same day!

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
at least post they pics the provided and made reference to in the artical

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Punkboy for doing it for us.

Any chance of someone making the car one color with a photoshop so we could get a better look at the car?

Anyone with the talent would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

JB

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Re: The 2005 Mustang is being prepared for an international debut at the Detroit show in

JBsZ0666 said:
The 2005 Mustang is being prepared for an international debut at the Detroit show in January, but this week TCC has more detailed pics of the most anticipated new-car introduction of the year.
Who are they kidding? It may end up being a cool car, but the concept they showed last year was way cooler than the production car will be. I like Mustangs, but I think Ford is going the wrong way with all these cars that share so many characteristics with old cars. JMO

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree..I think Fords show car was awesome...

for some reason..this prototype looks somewhat disappointing compared to the show car..

Too bad because the show car coupe was killer!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
JBsZ0666 said:
Any chance of someone making the car one color with a photoshop so we could get a better look at the car?
JB, I just can't bring myself to doing it. It looks like Dennis Rodman's car.:laughing:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick,

this car just looks quite disappointing compared to the show car.

Don't even bother...

I think ford has blown this beautiful showcar into weinerville..with committee styling choices..

Maybe we'll get lucky and this is the more mundane 6 cylinder version..?

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
JBsZ0666 said:
Patrick,

this car just looks quite disappointing compared to the show car.

Don't even bother...

I think ford has blown this beautiful showcar into weinerville..with committee styling choices..

Maybe we'll get lucky and this is the more mundane 6 cylinder version..?
The XLR was awesome as a concept.... then they toned down the body.

The SSR was awesome.... same thing.

The Mustang... following in the footsteps of everyone else.

To many "committies" and "focus groups" trying to make a car look bland.:(

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it looked like the silver showcar coupe of last year I'd agree..

This spotted thing in the photos....its not quite like what I was expecting..

Hopefully the V8 w/ supercharger will be much more like the showcar..

Clean crisp lines...sharp...not this half hearted attempt...

We'll know come January at detroit..maybe sooner if Fords' smart enough to get a good jump on the corvette in the press..

Should be interesting if they both release at the same time..in the press..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts