Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last I got the new 406 installed in the '73 last weekend. I had my 12 year old son helping me so work went pretty smoothly.

There were, of course, a couple of minor disasters.

The first was truly aggravating. I zipped off to Kragen on Saturday night to grab a replacement seal for the torque converter to the tranny (TH400). Dime a dozen right? Well I got 4 different sizes and the one that fit wasn't for this application. The parts guy just kept pulling them off the shelf until he found one that looked similar. Only four different stops for this one. Dang.

The only real damage that I did was that I purposely left a bolt in the transmission on the middle, drivers position because a protrusion in the fire wall prevented me from removing it when I took it off. Thought I'd be smart and put it back in before reinstalling. That part worked great, but the protruding bolt mauled a hole in the firewall while I moved the tranny and motor around. Oops.

The last was, perhaps the funniest. I simply can't find the engine mount to frame bolts. How the *&#@ do you lose two six inch long, 7/16 bolts??? No idea where I put these.

With a little luck, I'll hook up the fuel, electrical and (maybe) the bolts to the engine mounts and I'll see if this sucker will run!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Don't worry you will find them just as soon as you complete the project...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see some pictures of that beast! :thumbsup:
Will do! :thumbsup:

Doesn't look like much though. I found a nice 509 block so it looks exactly like any other orange SBC.

I still have to get the two bolts in the starter solenoid as well. i put the starter on the block to measure the gear clearance and was too lazy to remove it. Didn't get in the way too much on the block instalation, but made putting the second bolt in the solenoid VERY difficult. I'll probably end up unbolting the starter to make this easier.

Oh, and here's a pic with the hood closed :D

·
Banned
58 Posts
Mike are some of those valve cover bolt spinners over tightened or under tightened? My engine used to have them on it when I bought it and to make them all sung they were never all oriented the same way. If I wanted them to all line up I would have had to over tighten a few and under tighten a few. Just curious. Motor looks great by the way. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly had to cheat a little for tightness, but I don't think it was all that much. Having said this, I've primed it but not run it. The proof will be then.

Since I have two sets of seals (rubber Earl's) there is probably a fair bit of give.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts