Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't spent much time around here lately as I have been involved with my new Z06 and running it around the track. Time to devote a small fortune updating the C3!

Don't really have any photos to post (yet) but the 71 left one shop in Ohio today on it's way to Josh at Custom Image Corvette to get flared and painted. Somehow I got bamboozled into doing a complete and total overhaul to the car this winter :laughing:

It all started when I dropped the car off at Ridetech after competing at LS Fest in Bowling Green back in September. I already have Ridetech's stage 3 coilover suspension on the car, along with a few other trick parts to make this car pretty competitive. After a number of discussions with Chris Smith, "smitty" I decided to have them put the new 9" rear suspension in the car. Around the same time that was happening they released their new Instinct shocks system. Well, of course I had to have that!! Honestly, I hate screwing with the knobs on my shocks and having recently upgraded to triple adjustable shocks, it was getting well above and beyond my ability and desire to screw with shocks at the track.

Information about the new Instinct system can be found below
http://www.ridetech.com/info/instinct/
Having the Magnetuner controller from DSC in my new Z06, I am really excited to see how well the Instinct system works on the C3!

The new rear suspension info will be released shortly.

I was fortunate enough to have a good contact and friend like Smitty and as I was ready to open my wallet, this was a good candidate for one of the first production rear diffs. Not too many photos but everything is mounted and ready to go. Still waiting on a few updated parts to show up before all is complete.

After much deliberation, it seems the car is going to get a color change and side pipes. I hope I don't regret changing from Steel Cities Gray as the car gets a number of compliments.... Updates will follow as time allows!

The last time it will look like this! So much for being one of the few stock bodied cars competing! Was nice being a bit of an underdog and somewhat unique. Now I can blend in with all the other big flared C3s (Smitty, Matthews, Popp, Johnson, Feldon etc.)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,450 Posts
You're going to end up with a mighty slick ride:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
sounds like an awesome build! You'll have to let us know which car you like better on the track, the C5 or the C3.

So what's the story on the new diff? Just extra heavy duty for high HP or what's the justification?

Did you find a new home for your TQ coilovers now that you're switching to the Instinct system?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like an awesome build! You'll have to let us know which car you like better on the track, the C5 or the C3.

So what's the story on the new diff? Just extra heavy duty for high HP or what's the justification?

Did you find a new home for your TQ coilovers now that you're switching to the Instinct system?
The C7Z is incredible on track....just a whole different level of fast. It will be interesting to get the C3 back and try to adjust back to the manual, rowdy nature of that car.

Yes, the 9" swap is partially durability but they also mapped out the car and improved the roll-center with the new mount. There is a bit of cutting involved to do so. I obviously haven't driven it yet, but I am told it makes a very noticeable difference in what we are doing with these cars on track. We did another swap on the front suspension that was immediately noticeable and made my turn-in 10 times better. This rear improvement is supposed to be even better than the front so I am excited to get it back! My car and the ridetech 48-hour car are driven pretty hard all year so having over-engineered parts really makes a difference.

The coil-overs were roughly 2 months old and are available for $2500 if you have any interest (they were $3650 new).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You failed to mention what color you will be going with or I read right over it...
At any rate,it's only money and with what you have apparently already spent,flares and pained is just a drop in the bucket.
A very big drop!!!
The car looks great now! I can only imagine what it will be when it gets the treatment from CIC!
Good Luck and keep the pics coming!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NICE Eric!!!

Are you doing the Cars and Cones again this year? My wife's friend is in Birmingham- So a trip to the first event is in the plans for me.

Richard
I really wanted to do C&C again this year as it was a lot of fun last year. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to take the time off for the entire week this year. I will be at NOLA the weekend prior doing the USCA event in either the C3, or more than likely, the C7Z. My wife and I are headed to Europe two weeks later which is the reason I can't make Cars & Cones.

I definitely recommend to anyone though!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You failed to mention what color you will be going with or I read right over it...
At any rate,it's only money and with what you have apparently already spent,flares and pained is just a drop in the bucket.
A very big drop!!!
The car looks great now! I can only imagine what it will be when it gets the treatment from CIC!
Good Luck and keep the pics coming!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Keeping the color quiet for the time-being. I'm not 100% sure I'm sold just yet, but there will be color photos at some point in the near future which will let the cat out of the bag.

I do like how the car looks currently which made the decision to paint/flare pretty difficult. I talked to Josh about doing this last year and ultimately postponed. Some was financial at the time, and the other was simply my indecisiveness on what I wanted to do with the car.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
are you doing the full 4" flares or just the 2"?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Subscribed, love these kind of builds. BTW I wouldn't change the color but I am partial to silver. I looked at many colors and my ultimate decision is the timeless results silver gives. Seems like I never get tired of looking at silver Vettes in any generation.

:cheers:
Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Subscribed, love these kind of builds. BTW I wouldn't change the color but I am partial to silver. I looked at many colors and my ultimate decision is the timeless results silver gives. Seems like I never get tired of looking at silver Vettes in any generation.

Mark
My main issue is that steel cities gray has such a green tint to it and I already have one very green car in the stable. I don't know. I'm not sure I'll regret changing the color, but I do really like SSG. I could go either way at this point.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I looked at many colors and my ultimate decision is the timeless results silver gives. Seems like I never get tired of looking at silver Vettes in any generation.

Mark
:agree: fully agree to this Mark, got one bike painted silver long time ago - it looks fresh to me every time i look at it and never bores me a bit.
Silver is the ultimate "never a mistake"-paint decision to me.
If there`s a green tint now, i get that point too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nearly every person I've talked to or with is on the "keep it SSG color" train. Not sure if it is only because I've owned the car for a few years now and have grown accustom to the steel cities gray or what....

Anyway, the car has arrived at CIC and should hopefully see progress soon as they begin blowing the car apart and start dissecting panels.

As a point of reference, this is the color I have been considering....first of all, blue is my favorite color, and this is just beautiful! A really tough decision.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts