Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the UK where the closest thing i see to my corvette are vauxhalls (UK GM branch) and the concepts for the new VX220/Lighning that have been unveiled over the last year bear a striking resemblance to this car in so many ways, especially the front end which could very easily be a vauxhall or an opel with the simpel addition of badges. i'm dissapointed.
the new ferrari 612 with it's big curved side scoops should have been the new C6....
this car looks too much like a conglomeration of other expenive cars but i guess that might be what they are going for....as soon as i see it in orange i'm sure i will undoubtedly be on the waiting list too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts

Maybe some design details or body creases, but I don't think it looks like the new or any Corvette.

Am I missing something?

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
The Vauxhall is more like the Solstice's evil twin than a Corvette. I like the Vauxhall, though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i could find pics of the new vx220! the lighning is supposed to be a more expensive full size vauxhall sports car (much like the corvette and XLR) whereas the new VX220 is based on the solstice platform, is shorter, wider and more like a baby-vette. also, if you look at the lighning head on the similarities become much more apparent. the lights are very similar and the overall shape. the front vent on the new c6, or what i've seen from pics is unnecessary and in my mind is the one thing that sets it apart from the vettes of the last 25 years and makes it look more like a miata or rx-7. put the old front end and a folding hardtop with the rest of the new body and i see a winner.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah, from what ive heard this is going to be a direct cousin to the solctice and new speedster, they will all have variations of the same platform, engine, and knowing gm doorhandles..........

·
Registered
145 Posts
sorry, figured i would type the reason too, its less costly and they would beable to bring better cars to the market for a cheaper price. we all know "rebadge" treatment of the ninties.....

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Smilingoat said:
sorry, figured i would type the reason too, its less costly and they would beable to bring better cars to the market for a cheaper price. we all know "rebadge" treatment of the ninties.....
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I think the car has excellent design qualities, and certainly stands out in a sea of "common" and "conservative" looking sports cars (import and domestic). I was only pointing out that I didn't see the Corvette looks comparison. But I do see some similar details (fender lip, creases, nose slant, wheels)

But, if that car came to the USA like that (and was not change from that at all) then I think you could sell those puppies pretty easily!

But, like all concept cars (XLR, SSR... etc...) the car gets watered down before it hits the showroom floor and the excitement is lost. Ya know?

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
jer1223 said:
i wish i could find pics of the new vx220! the lighning is supposed to be a more expensive full size vauxhall sports car (much like the corvette and XLR) whereas the new VX220 is based on the solstice platform, is shorter, wider and more like a baby-vette. also, if you look at the lighning head on the similarities become much more apparent. the lights are very similar and the overall shape. the front vent on the new c6, or what i've seen from pics is unnecessary and in my mind is the one thing that sets it apart from the vettes of the last 25 years and makes it look more like a miata or rx-7. put the old front end and a folding hardtop with the rest of the new body and i see a winner.
I would like to see more pics.:D

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I like the look of the Vauxhal, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the C6 looks like it. :huh:

·
Registered
285 Posts
redls1c5 said:
I like the look of the Vauxhal, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the C6 looks like it. :huh:
:agree:

One could argue that it looks like several other cars, with styling cues similar to the Vauxhaul VX220, Viper, Opel Speedster (and EcoSpeedster), Ferarri 612, Callaway C12, Saleen S7, even the Volkswagen W12. Not to mention the C3, C4, and C5. ;)

IMO, it retains its originality and it's definitely a 'Vette.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
The Vauxhall speedster was a stunning concept that has been put on hold because GM top execs would not approve a narrow angle V8 for production and sales in Europe.

this sister car to the Solstice will not hit production..

The solstice will with I believe a 240 hp supercharged 2.2 ecomotor four cylinder as top engine.

Bob lutz likes this ride and I look foward to it kicking some Boxster butt!

Too bad about the Vauxhall concept hitting the wall. I like its design even better than the solstice.

The narrow VX8 producing 300 ponies would have been a hoot too!

Should have let them make it.

Still not a vette in my book but a winner all the same.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
last week in autocar (UK publication) talks of the resurrection (of the concept) have been seriously considered. the only problem is that for it's release in 2005 the UK has new safety emmisions that would most likely have to alter the design....but as of right now the concept is still a possibility...although probably never to be seen in the states. why? i wish i could answer that. i think if the vx220/speedster where brought to the US it would fit very nicely into the spot in chevys lineup between economy crap and the vette. at say $25K it could blow any RX-7 buyers out of the water and take away many of the japanese cars sales in the sub $20K range. but lutz won't budge :spanked: :surprised

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
cool inf0!
on resurection of car!

as far as why not in the USA..probably because the Solstice will be the main focus by GM in the States..Just a guess though

·
Registered
56 Posts
With those 2 pics the c6 looks kinda like the vauxhall but with the new updated pics the vauxhall lightning looks nothing like the c6. I can see maybe a little bit but not the whole thing.

The Vauxhall however does have great styling, I like. Not trying to dis on the car or anything..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts