Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the fast approaching release of the C7, there are only a couple of more seasons for the C6.R to add to the Corvette's win total at LeMans. See it Saturday on Speed. Autoweek has a nice article...

Corvette Racing is aiming to capture its seventh class victory and its first GTE Pro class win when it takes to the track for the 24 Hours of Le Mans at the Circuit de la Sarthe in France on June 11-12.

Last season saw Corvette Racing fail to finish after accidents and mechanical problems sidelined both cars. The team heads into the 2011 edition of the 24-hour classic with a sense of unfinished business and looks to build off last season's performance.

"Last year we had a great car that could compete with anybody," said Oliver Gavin, who will drive the No. 74 Corvette C6.R alongside Jan Magnussen and Richard Westbrook. "We were the pacesetting team, and we hope to continue that this year. Le Mans is such a special race, a race that everyone wants to win. You build your whole year on it; there's so much expectation and anticipation."

The 2011 edition of the 24-hour race also marks the 10th anniversary of Corvette Racing's first class victory. Chevrolet, which was founded by Swiss-born race-car driver Louis Chevrolet and financier Billy Durant, is also celebrating its 100th birthday. A victory in the GTE Pro category would be a perfect way to celebrate the two anniversaries, according to the team.

"I have raced in Le Mans since 1995, and every year I go there to achieve what every driver wants--to win," said Olivier Beretta, a five-time class winner at Le Mans. "Before you can think about the victory, you have to go through the week and make everything ready. I have won three years in a row, and I have lost three years in a row. Now I am looking for my sixth victory, and I hope 2011 will be the one."

Beretta will team up with Tommy Milner and Antonio Garcia behind the wheel of the No. 73 Corvette C6.R. The trio took third place in the season-opening 12 Hours of Sebring.

"Le Mans is magical," Milner said. "You can feel the history there, the legendary drivers who have raced there, and the success of Corvette Racing. There is definitely something special about driving onto the Mulsanne straight the first time. At the same time, we have to treat Le Mans like any other race, and we have to stick to the plan we use at every event. When I'm in the car, I won't be thinking about Le Mans; I'll be thinking about how to make the car faster."

Corvette Racing will have to fight it out with entries representing Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, Lotus and Aston Martin. The team will get its first sense of the competition when free practice begins on Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article#ixzz1Otd7ZBsk

1 - 1 of 1 Posts