Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walter Mondale himself sees a parallel.

By JOHN FUND

Comparisons between the Obama White House and the failed presidency of Jimmy Carter are increasingly being made—and by Democrats.

Walter Mondale, Mr. Carter's vice president, told The New Yorker this week that anxious and angry voters in the late 1970s "just turned against us—same as with Obama." As the polls turned against his administration, Mr. Mondale recalled that Mr. Carter "began to lose confidence in his ability to move the public." Democrats on Capitol Hill are now saying this is happening to Mr. Obama.

Mr. Mondale says it's time for the president "to get rid of those teleprompters and connect" with voters. Another of Mr. Obama's clear errors has been to turn over the drafting of key legislation to the Democratic Congress: "That doesn't work even when you own Congress," he said. "You have to ride 'em."

Mr. Carter himself is heightening comparisons with his own presidency by publishing his White House diaries this week. "I overburdened Congress with an array of controversial and politically costly requests," he said on Monday. The parallels to Mr. Obama's experience are clear.

Comparisons between the two men were made frequently during the 2008 campaign, but in a favorable way. Princeton University historian Sean Wilentz, for instance, told Fox News in August 2008 that Mr. Obama's "rhetoric is more like Jimmy Carter's than any other Democratic president in recent memory." Syndicated columnist Jonah Goldberg noted more recently that Mr. Obama, like Mr. Carter in his 1976 campaign, "promised a transformational presidency, a new accommodation with religion, a new centrism, a changed tone."

But within a few months, liberals were already finding fault with his rhetoric. "He's the great earnest bore at the dinner party," wrote Michael Wolff, a contributor to Vanity Fair. "He's cold; he's prickly; he's uncomfortable; he's not funny; and he's getting awfully tedious. He thinks it's all about him." That sounds like a critique of Mr. Carter.

Foreign policy experts are also picking up on similarities. Walter Russell Mead, then a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, told the Economist magazine earlier this year that Mr. Obama is "avoiding the worst mistakes that plagued Carter." But he warns that presidents like Mr. Obama who emphasize "human rights" can fall prey to the temptation of picking on weak countries while ignoring more dire human rights issues in powerful countries (Russia, China, Iran). Over time that can "hollow out an administration's credibility and make a president look weak." Mr. Mead warned that Mr. Obama's foreign policy "to some degree makes him dependent on people who wish neither him nor America well. This doesn't have to end badly and I hope that it doesn't—but it's not an ideal position after one's first year in power."

Liberals increasingly can't avoid making connections between Mr. Carter's political troubles and those of Mr. Obama. In July, MSNBC's Chris Matthews asked his guests if Democrats up for re-election will "run away from President O'Carter." After much laughter, John Heileman of New York Magazine quipped "Calling Dr. Freud." To which Mr. Matthews, a former Carter speechwriter, sighed "I know."

Pat Caddell, who was Mr. Carter's pollster while he was in the White House, thinks some comparisons between the two men are overblown. But he notes that any White House that is sinking in the polls takes on a "bunker mentality" that leads the president to become isolated and consult with fewer and fewer people from the outside. Mr. Caddell told me that his Democratic friends think that's happening to Mr. Obama—and that the president's ability to pull himself out of a political tailspin is hampered by his resistance to seek out fresh thinking.

The Obama White House is clearly cognizant of the comparisons being made between the two presidents. This month, environmental activist Bill McKibben met with White House aides to convince them to reinstall a set of solar panels that Mr. Carter had placed on the White House roof. They were taken down in 1986 following roof repairs. Mr. McKibben said it was time to bring them back to demonstrate Mr. Obama's support for alternative energy.

But Mr. McKibben told reporters that the White House "refused to take the Carter-era panel that we brought with us" and only said that they would continue to ponder "what is appropriate" for the White House's energy needs. Britain's Guardian newspaper reported that the Obama aides were "twitchy perhaps about inviting any comparison (to Mr. Carter) in the run-up to the very difficult mid-term elections." Democrats need no reminding that Mr. Carter wound up costing them dearly in 1978 and 1980 as Republicans made major gains in Congress.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704129204575505822147816104.html

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
No sweat ... nothings' gonna beat a Reagan / Bush I / Bush II comparison for all of the history of mankind ... sad.

:buhbye:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
All that needs to happen now is that Barry's poor brother (who lives on $5 a week) starts to sell and brew beer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Oh geesh … thankfully Obama don’t give a **** what historians think, because he’s too busy with Bush’s legacy. :laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that needs to happen now is that Barry's poor brother (who lives on $5 a week) starts to sell and brew beer:thumbsup:
:rolling:

I got a kick out of the part about the solar panels... I remember that, it was sooooo hilarious..:laughing:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Oh geesh … thankfully Obama don’t give a **** what historians think, because he’s too busy with Bush’s legacy. :laughing:
Let's not be to harsh ... every day I'm always looking for some sign from the (R)'s with regards to the worse recession in U.S. History other than them getting on the podium declaring we're in the worst recession in U.S. History ...

:laughing:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
:rolling:

I got a kick out of the part about the solar panels... I remember that, it was sooooo hilarious..:laughing:
I also remeber Jimmy say'in we will be on the Metric system by 1990 and I wonder if Barry knows how big a meter is when he doesent know how big a TRILLION is :laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also remeber Jimmy say'in we will be on the Metric system by 1990 and I wonder if Barry knows how big a meter is when he doesent know how big a TRILLION is :laughing:
Man, I don't even like to think back to Carter.. what a horrible time in history.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Man, I don't even like to think back to Carter.. what a horrible time in history.
How many days is Barry going to allow Iran to hold the (2) American hostage? there are more than 444 days still left in his presidency :surprised

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have a buddy who has Solar Panels on his house and he has all the facts to backup his energy saving.

Of course, you can always just deny it. :rolleyes:

But this he could care less, because those saving go in his pocket not yours. :laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a buddy who has Solar Panels on his house and he has all the facts to backup his energy saving.

But this he could care less, because those saving go in his pocket not yours. :laughing:
Here's where I have a serious problem with the left and their ponzi-schemes.

Everyone should have solar panels, and the only person I know of on this forum who actually does, is a self-proclaimed republican (The Machine). And he made a healthy (albeit smart) investment to put his system in. I believe him when he talks of the savings/value of his investment.

But you, have no solar panels... You use dino oil as reckelssly as the rest of us... your carbon footprint is no smaller than mine.. you leftist don't practice what you preach.

If Obama thought it was a real problem, you can bet your ass the whitehouse would be all alternative energy with a conventional backup. He wouldn't use a helicopter to fly 5 miles, and he wouldn't have burned 100's of thousands of jet fuel for a photop that could have been done in Photoshop..

Their ponzi schemes and taxation schemes are bogus, to the point that they don't even make an effort to practice what they preach. And for normal people, that is telling..

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:laughing::thumbsup:
I'm thinking Barry thinks a meter is that thing on the side of your house that has that wheel in it that goes round and round, and that he could get a TRILLION if he could get a piece of that wheels 'revolution' because he says it's good for the planet.

So, what's in those cigarettes he smokes anyway?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
It aint Bush's legacy he's worried about: :laughing:

The Obama White House is clearly cognizant of the comparisons being made between the two presidents. This month, environmental activist Bill McKibben met with White House aides to convince them to reinstall a set of solar panels that Mr. Carter had placed on the White House roof. They were taken down in 1986 following roof repairs. Mr. McKibben said it was time to bring them back to demonstrate Mr. Obama's support for alternative energy.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
It aint Bush's legacy he's worried about: :laughing:

Being as millions of tax payer dollars are being spent on Michel Obama's over weight programs, maybe they should mount a generator to their exercise bike too:lookinup:

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
If Obama thought it was a real problem, you can bet your ass the whitehouse would be all alternative energy with a conventional backup.QUOTE]

That's so true, Texas learned that lesson a few years back when the wind stopped blowing and thier thermal units were down. Gotta have some spinning reserve on the system!

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Being as millions of tax payer dollars are being spent on Michel Obama's over weight programs, maybe they should mount a generator to their exercise bike too:lookinup:

That's "Genius" :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Here's where I have a serious problem with the left and their ponzi-schemes.

Everyone should have solar panels, and the only person I know of on this forum who actually does, is a self-proclaimed republican (The Machine). And he made a healthy (albeit smart) investment to put his system in. I believe him when he talks of the savings/value of his investment.

I have solar also.
But my system is smaller and mostly dormant and supplies my silent 24 hour agm backup system for use during power failures.
My 2 living rooms and basment lighting use some of the power daily.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Thats the other problem,the Obama supporters don't remember him either :D they just want to compare Barry to FDR :crazy:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

He might want to keep that to himself. The IRS will have their hands in his pocket looking for the money. :lookinup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have solar also.
But my system is smaller and mostly dormant and supplies my silent 24 hour agm backup system for use during power failures.
My 2 living rooms and basment lighting use some of the power daily.
In other words, you don't buy into the bullshit either... :laughing:

Besides, I get the feeling this don't qualify...

:laughing: :nuts:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts