Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just enjoying some renditions of a fun old song , often called "the corvette song", and it occurred to me that the genre', old time country, combined with the age, might have made this song unknown to some corvette enthusiasts.

It was a number three hit back in the day, sung by the man Sinatra called the second best singer in America, with a lot calling him tops. More properly it is called" the one I loved back then" the title that generates the most hits on YouTube, but corvette song also get's the job done. although not written by George Jones, he is such a performer that almost everywhere on YouTube it just gives the title and George jones in the credits.

I thought I would mention it as a fun song to listen to, as another of many songs referencing corvettes, but one that might not be as familiar to some as the Prince or Surf music contributions about the car.
It's a country song with all the stuff, cars , beer , lost love, oppression from a banker , common shared understanding, what you don't understand about me, convenience store, it has a lot of story for such a short song.

Of course, the message is not really about the car, ultimately it is about human relationships. unlike cruse ins that work to promote the car culture and friendship, the internet, by being so distant, I think sometimes overlooks the quality of humanity and need for friendship to enrich one's life, because the internet is so impersonal a lot of mild conflict is generated in a quest to simply be recognized and get over on someone. Not that I am against put down humor, it can be pretty funny. Hey any attempt at humor is fine with me.

which is one of the reasons I posted this about this song, it's clever and somewhat funny, but mostly a good quality song, that's fun for any corvette owner, and reminds a guy, it's not only about the car in the end.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
Is this the one. This is George Jones singing

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the various live performances available on YouTube are a lot more fun, and really showcase a unique performer, a man who had it all and wound up homeless for a
while , mostly from chasing the bottle , with a few bad habits thrown in , until love of a good woman saved him, in true country style.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
George was a great performer that let his vices get in the way

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
“God’s way of letting you know you have too much money”. Robbin Williams
No doubt, and I will take Robbin Williams word on the subject,. but George Jones was still self destructive when he was pushing a shopping cart and homeless. I am not a big country fan at all, but after seeing a few performances of the Corvette during various times in his career on YouTube, I became interested enough to look him up on wikipedia , and that told quite a story beyond just the very evident musical talent.

Heck I might even change my mind and watch the cable series about when he was doing duets and loving with a big haired female country star and all that drinking and drama, but probably not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts