Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I saw a thread were people were saying the stimulus was more than iraq. Heres a pretty good article about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/03/AR2010090302200.html
Thanks for the post ... :thumbsup:

Personally I wouldn’t care if the Stimulus Package cost 10x as much … I got no problem with spending money on Flag-waiving, Chest-beating, Red-blooded AMERICANS. Its far better than trying to build a Nation where we already know is a waste of money and on people who wouldn’t piss on us if we were on fire? If anyone has a problem with spending money on Americans, then they can go where money isn’t spent on Americans … like Iraq and Afghanistan. Enjoy your vacation.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The source of the article at the bottom explains a lot.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Thanks Bush for bringing terrorist attacks, wars to ruin, the 2nd Great Depression ... and the greatest transference of wealth ever from the greatest nation all of mankind has ever seen ... into the new millenium ...

Take a Bow ...

:buhbye:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

… I got no problem with spending money on Flag-waiving, Chest-beating, Red-blooded AMERICANS..

Therein lies the rub. A sector of our society that thinks money comes from a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow won't think twice about spending money. Here's a news flash. No matter how worthy the spending, if the money doesn't exist, or if there isn's a reasonable expectation of raising the money within a few years to pay the debt, the spending damages the future of our country. People like you want to ease the pain today without regard for the pain of future generations. Pretty selfish, I would say.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

Personally I wouldn’t care if the Stimulus Package cost 10x as much … I got no problem with spending money on Flag-waiving, Chest-beating, Red-blooded AMERICANS. Its far better than trying to build a Nation where we already know is a waste of money and on people who wouldn’t piss on us if we were on fire? If anyone has a problem with spending money on Americans, then they can go where money isn’t spent on Americans … like Iraq and Afghanistan. Enjoy your vacation.
We have already been through this... you (and the article) have been proven, without a shadow of a doubt, to NOT represent the true cost of war. You are purposefully and willfully -espousing an untruth.

But today, as the United States ends combat in Iraq, it appears that our $3 trillion estimate (which accounted for both government expenses and the war's broader impact on the U.S. economy)
What does that mean ? Where are these figures ? How did they arrive to this number ? Are they now attempting to tie border security to the war ? ECT...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Therein lies the rub. A sector of our society that thinks money comes from a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow won't think twice about spending money. Here's a news flash. No matter how worthy the spending, if the money doesn't exist, or if there isn's a reasonable expectation of raising the money within a few years to pay the debt, the spending damages the future of our country. People like you want to ease the pain today without regard for the pain of future generations. Pretty selfish, I would say.
No money doesn’t come from a Pot or Gold … but when it comes, guess who should come first, second and Last? In my world, there are NO worthy Americans, just Americans. Something the GOP needs to get a firm grip on, because that is their reality. Pop Quiz: was the Money available for two Wars? Are Tax cut frees? If you answer yes to those rhetorical questions, then I guess we have different point’s views on arithmetic.

Where exactly where the Physical spenders over the last decade when the money was being spent? Please don’t tell me you actually think we gotten into a deficit over spending at home and that two Wars was always in the budget?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
No money doesn’t come from a Pot or Gold … but when it comes, guess who should come first, second and Last? In my world, there are NO worthy Americans, just Americans. Something the GOP needs to get a firm grip on, because that is their reality. Pop Quiz: was the Money available for two Wars? Are Tax cut frees? If you answer yes to those rhetorical questions, then I guess we have different point’s views on arithmetic.

Where exactly where the Physical spenders over the last decade when the money was being spent? Please don’t tell me you actually think we gotten into a deficit over spending at home and that two Wars was always in the budget?
Was the money available for wars? Between 2003 and 2007 the answer would be YES if you follow my criteria of being available now or in the reasonable future. The economy was strong and the deficit spending was not out of a range it has been in several times.
Are tax cuts free? There isn't agreement among PhD economists on this. It also depends on whether you are talking about short term or long term. But one thing is for sure - high taxes hurt the economy. How do I know? Because nearly 100% of economists say it's bad to raise taxes during a recession. If it wasn't damaging, why would they say that.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Was the money available for wars? Between 2003 and 2007 the answer would be YES if you follow my criteria of being available now or in the reasonable future. The economy was strong and the deficit spending was not out of a range it has been in several times.
Are tax cuts free? There isn't agreement among PhD economists on this. It also depends on whether you are talking about short term or long term. But one thing is for sure - high taxes hurt the economy. How do I know? Because nearly 100% of economists say it's bad to raise taxes during a recession. If it wasn't damaging, why would they say that.
Knowing what you know now, yea I know its hind-sight, was it money well spent.

Are we any safer now than when a group of Saudis’ flew planes into buildings?

Are the number of lives lost over worth it … ?

Taxes are not huring me and I'm not in the top 2%.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Knowing what you know now, yea I know its hind-sight, was it money well spent.

Are we any safer now than when a group of Saudis’ flew planes into buildings?

Are the number of lives lost over worth it … ?

Taxes are not huring me and I'm not in the top 2%.
The answer is that we will never know. It's impossible to say if keeping al qaeda tied up in battle for 9 years reduced their ability to strike abroad or not. My guess is that it did. Were the lives worth it? I guess it depends on whether you were directly touched by one of those deaths. The security of a country like ours doesn't come free. There will always be a cost in life of securing the homeland. I volunteered and did my part during the Vietnam War. It is now another generation's turn, and in 10-20 years it will be another's. Life is a cycle, and a military ready and willing to go into a battle will be a necessity for the foreseeable future. Thank God we usually have leaders willing to make hard decisions and at least do the best they can to keep us safe.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The answer is that we will never know. It's impossible to say if keeping al qaeda tied up in battle for 9 years reduced their ability to strike abroad or not. My guess is that it did. Were the lives worth it? I guess it depends on whether you were directly touched by one of those deaths. The security of a country like ours doesn't come free. There will always be a cost in life of securing the homeland. I volunteered and did my part during the Vietnam War. It is now another generation's turn, and in 10-20 years it will be another's. Life is a cycle, and a military ready and willing to go into a battle will be a necessity for the foreseeable future. Thank God we usually have leaders willing to make hard decisions and at least do the best they can to keep us safe.
The only way they could have ever gotten here was if we let then in … period!
The tough and right decision would have continued to attack Al Qaeda where Al Qaeda was at!

You’re right; security isn’t free, so why are people complaining about the bill?

We didn’t get into a deficit over taxing the Rich.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
We didn’t get into a deficit over taxing the Rich.
And taxing the rich won't get us out of it. Our deficit is trillions. If you confiscated every last cent the top 2% earns, it wouldn't make a dent in the deficit. Soon we will realize that we are at "war" with the deficit. During war, you don't ask 2% of the people to sacrifice. You ask 100% to sacrifice. When every single American is asked to contribute to the deficit reduction by paying more taxes, I will happily do my part. And if we don't do that in combination with reducing spending and fostering a healthy, competitive business climate, we will never tame the beast again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
And taxing the rich won't get us out of it. Our deficit is trillions. If you confiscated every last cent the top 2% earns, it wouldn't make a dent in the deficit. Soon we will realize that we are at "war" with the deficit. During war, you don't ask 2% of the people to sacrifice. You ask 100% to sacrifice. When every single American is asked to contribute to the deficit reduction by paying more taxes, I will happily do my part. And if we don't do that in combination with reducing spending and fostering a healthy, competitive business climate, we will never tame the beast again.
People don’t what to hear the truth …

They don’t what to hear that it takes more than a few months to get you out of the second worse depression.

That actually want to believe that we should be back a 5% unemployment after what happened in 2008.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Too many "We think" statements in that article. Get the CBO to calculate it out, and check back with us. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts