Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard Andrew Wilkow talking about this, makes pretty good sense.

Eliminate the marriage license. There really is no need for this anymore. Remove the tax penalties/advantages for married people. The marriage license has been used more to prohibit marriage than allow it for over 30 years. Gay Marriage advocates could do this at the state level, and probably have success at getting it removed. I am not an advocate of gay marriage, but I also don't want them restricted by law, it's social engineering.

They can put the rings on, sign an agreement, and voila, problem solved without affecting straight couples and without re-engineering society.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I heard Andrew Wilkow talking about this, makes pretty good sense.

Eliminate the marriage license. There really is no need for this anymore. Remove the tax penalties/advantages for married people. The marriage license has been used more to prohibit marriage than allow it for over 30 years. Gay Marriage advocates could do this at the state level, and probably have success at getting it removed. I am not an advocate of gay marriage, but I also don't want them restricted by law, it's social engineering.

They can put the rings on, sign an agreement, and voila, problem solved without affecting straight couples and without re-engineering society.

Thoughts?

other than some corporate sponsor ship for insurance and other perks-- who cares about the certificate..

Buy a house, car and get credit cards in each other's names.. That is a hell of a lot more binding than a marriage certificate. You can file a no contest divorce for Under $250 in some locations and they take 90 days or less to disolve in some states
-- let's see you try to get someone removed from your credit report quicker and for less!!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I'm sorry if I am being thick, but I thought that same-sex parteners wanted legally recognized marriages for health coverage purposes.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
First and foremost... nowhere is it written that gays can't get married... so no rights are being denied. Secondly... gays would never go for this... as it is the normalization, acceptance and further education of homosexuality, that is the objective. The gay agenda is a pawn used in the push for equality... and the ideology behind that equality, is feminism.

That should get this thread flying.... :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'm sorry if I am being thick, but I thought that same-sex parteners wanted legally recognized marriages for health coverage purposes.
then it's up to the companies to recognize partner ships the same way they would recognize a common law marriage.. A company doesn't even have to pay for your spouse if they don't want to..

there are so many other legal ways for cohabitation, living wills, estste planning etc.. from a purely legal perspective a license is only for those too lazy to get the other paperwork.

Hell in the military a spouse can't even get a deployed members W-4 or pay statement without specific consent to that info...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Benefits, Taxes, Access to information, etc. In a state that does not allow gay marriage, a gay spouse has a heck of a time when it comes to talking with doctors/authorities, when a situation occurs that temporarily incapacitates the other spouse. Dr.'s can't share info with friends, and neither can government agencies. So, if the incapacitated party, has family members who don't approve, they can effectively lock-out the partner, against the will of the individual.

This is a lot deeper issue than most people see... and getting a fix by eliminating some government control would be the best thing.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
While I have nothing against gay marriage, it seems to me having some provable documented union helps the state and the business world know who is entitled to what rights. Even though divorce is easy, until there is a divorce, it's easy for people involved in contractual relationships to know who is a legal party to the contract. If licenses are eliminated, it will be a nightmare to know who has benefits owed to them or who is responsible for a debt when people are partnered.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Benefits, Taxes, Access to information, etc. In a state that does not allow gay marriage, a gay spouse has a heck of a time when it comes to talking with doctors/authorities, when a situation occurs that temporarily incapacitates the other spouse. Dr.'s can't share info with friends, and neither can government agencies. So, if the incapacitated party, has family members who don't approve, they can effectively lock-out the partner, against the will of the individual.

This is a lot deeper issue than most people see... and getting a fix by eliminating some government control would be the best thing.
not with the right documentation. a notarized legal Power of attorney related to medical situtations is binding and the courts and doctors will abide by it..

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
not with the right documentation. a notarized legal Power of attorney related to medical situtations is binding and the courts and doctors will abide by it..
This reinforces my point above. A marriage license is kind of an all-purpose document that tells everyone what rights and responsibilities are shared. It also has a specific beginning date and, in the case of divorce, a specific ending date. It just makes all other business easier.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
While I have nothing against gay marriage, it seems to me having some provable documented union helps the state and the business world know who is entitled to what rights. Even though divorce is easy, until there is a divorce, it's easy for people involved in contractual relationships to know who is a legal party to the contract. If licenses are eliminated, it will be a nightmare to know who has benefits owed to them or who is responsible for a debt when people are partnered.
knowing who is responsible for debt is easy-- the person on the credit application.. You can file taxes separately, have an LLC, get credit the spouse can't use... or get credit anyone in a company can use if they are signatories--

If I'm married but the house isn't in the spouses name-- they don't get immediate rights to it in my death-- I can give it to a random stranger in my will and the transfer upon death options-- and nothing the spouse can do with their little marriage license.

On my life insurance I name a beneficiary-- I'm not married but it doesn't have to be my spouse..

If you are married but there is no will-- the property initailly goes into probate.. most likely it will default to family -- but to whom? a parent can attest even the transfer of children if there is concern over parental fitness or another legal document says-- no rights..

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
This reinforces my point above. A marriage license is kind of an all-purpose document that tells everyone what rights and responsibilities are shared. It also has a specific beginning date and, in the case of divorce, a specific ending date. It just makes all other business easier.
easier yes.. but not impossible.. I own two properties with other people-- not spouse. I'f I was to get married she wouldn't have any rights to that property beyond my share-- and that is easily contested in court.. that the other owners have right to full claim not the spouse.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
easier yes.. but not impossible.. I own two properties with other people-- not spouse. I'f I was to get married she wouldn't have any rights to that property beyond my share-- and that is easily contested in court.. that the other owners have right to full claim not the spouse.
But in your example, each case requires special attention to documentation to specify who has responsibiltyand rights. With a marriage license, it applies to everything not specifically excluding it. I think that is generally better. I know creditors think that way. If you are married and you die or skip on a creditor, your spouse is on the hook. In a partnership, the start date and end date may be hard to determine, and that makes responsibility fuzzy.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
But in your example, each case requires special attention to documentation to specify who has responsibiltyand rights. With a marriage license, it applies to everything not specifically excluding it. I think that is generally better. I know creditors think that way. If you are married and you die or skip on a creditor, your spouse is on the hook. In a partnership, the start date and end date may be hard to determine, and that makes responsibility fuzzy.
true -- but for gays to say the only way to equal rights is to allow them to get married is a fallacy.. it's just easier.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If we can kill 2 birds, with 1 stone, whats the drawback?

Eliminate a tax and allow gay marriage.

:huh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts