Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal, im a high school hot rod whos all the time wanting something else and new....you guys know how it is to want every car you see :laughing:

Im joining the Military after high school, hopefully I will make it to the Naval Academy but if not im enlisting in either the Marines or Air Force and then go to college and make my way to officer rank. Dad says that if i were to buy a car now that when I join the military I would have 2 cars setting home covered up useless and I would be wasting money:spanked: . He wants me to drive my car as much as I can when I get to come in on leave and such but hes pretty much saying I wont have use for a car while im in the military. Im not doing infatry or anything like that and try my best to not get sent over seas the first few years but i know anything can happen in the military:lookinup: . I just want the fact knowing that Its MY CAR AND IM PAYING FOR IT . Dad paied for the Corvette which sometimes makes it feel like as if it were his car and he just says its mine.

What i want to know from the fellow military members is how much you get to use your car while your on base and such. My dad was in Vietnam so hes old school and i know times have changed sense then. I have thought thorougly through and through about this and I am finiacily able now to pay for a car around $12,000. I make plenty enough money to even make 2 payments a month and still pay insurance and have spending money left over. Please help me out guys!!! I know i can depend on ya:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Well. if you are 100% sure that you are not going to be infantry, you'll probably use the car everyday. I don't know if I would want to have a Vette on base with no garage to put it in though. I would just get a daily driver that was dependable and paid for. Once you get out, you should have saved up enough money to pay cash for your dream ride.

A Vette is the last car I would want on a military base. The MP's will write you for doing 26 in a 25Mph zone. You'd be a target just waiting to get screwed with.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply junkman. The idea is not to have my vette on base and to leave it home in a garage. Thats why I was wanting to buy a car I could daily drive in the future now and drive it in what I have left of hs. Dad also mentioned that I probably would be spending my last few pennies on a car payment with military pay the first few years, by looking at pay charts I beg to disagree. With base pay, housing and all the other pay it looks like I could afford a payment with ease.

The car I was looking at was a 2001 SS camaro with an LQ4 block, 853 heads, Trex cam, LS7 clutch and a few other mods for $11500. Not really forsure on the milleage but I know its around 80xxx somthing. Sounds like a good deal to me :huh:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That depends on where you're stationed. A lot of Marine bases are located in areas that don't see a lot of snow. I don't know about the Air Force. If it were me, I'd buy something that could get around in all climates just to be safe because you don't now where you're going to end up. Or, I would wait until I was in and knew my duty station. Then you could make a better choice. One thing about the military, you usually go everywhere in groups. Just you and your buds. You'll find yourself riding in the car that seats the most people. That's how tight we were in the Marines.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AF is an idea right now but 95% im going to the corp. Im in MCJROTC right now and I know so much about the Marine Corps and already have all my uniforms.

Im good friends with my local recruiter, hes cool and isnt like most recruiters ive met. Ill probably talk with him and either have him relay it to dad or Ill just talk to him. Like I said my dads old school so its gonna take some convincing. But do you think its a good deal and would be alright to buy a car now and start paying on it.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The thing that scares me about that car is that someone a little older than you probably owned it and it has been beat to hell and back. I can't speak for what it is worth because I don't have a clue. But an inexpensive car like that in the hands of a young driver tells me that it has probably been rode hard and put up wet probably 1 time too many. I don't think it would be the car you'd want to have to deal with in your first year of military commitment. I can however help you with your choice of branch...

Nothing looks sweeter than a set of blues...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd wait till you get through basic and get to your duty station. You can see then if you'd need a car that could handle winter weather right away. Also, you'll be able to save some extra cash up while you're in basic to make a nice downpayment on a car and have a smaller monthly payment. As Jman said, we went in groups everywhere. We stuffed 8 people in a 2 seater Jeep Wrangler one time to goto the club. Only had 1 volunteer for DD heh. As far as never using the car once you're in, I was in the Infantry and used mine all the time. Given there were some lengthy gaps at times (basic, JRTC, Iraq) but you'll get use out of it on base for sure. The bus schedule on base is usually crap and its far easier to just hop in the car and roll over to the exchange or if you want to go anywhere off base. I can't speak for Marine bases, but Army / Air Force bases are usually far larger than somewhere you would want to walk back and forth on all the time. Anyhow, long story short I agree with Jman. Just wait and get something after basic. By then you'll have thought about it some more, have money for a larger down payment and better know how the paychecks are going to be coming in.

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
Don't get into a payment based on what you make now. You may get a big surprise when you start drawing milatry wages...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Pick up a car once you get to your duty station not before... other wise you just end up being a taxi for everyone. Trust me I know!.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Rule Of Finance #1:

Never pay for anything you are not using. Buying a car and storing it could be considered the worst possible use of money.

Rule #1 Of Fitting In:

A newbie driving a Vette is going to draw the wrong kind of attention.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldnt agree more Junkman, blues are pretty sweet. This is my girlfriend and I at our Ball back in November.

But to the car, I may not even be enlisting and having to go through basic and such. Im currentley working on my app to the Naval Academy and my SMI (senior marine instructor) tells me Ive got a good chance and it would be the last thing he does to see me go to Annapolis. There im not allowed to have a car my first 2 years but then im allowed to after that. So Im really confused on what to do. :huh:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Not even holding hands in that pick. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
There im not allowed to have a car my first 2 years but then im allowed to after that. So Im really confused on what to do. :huh:
Just wait bossman. Reassess the situation when you know what is going to happen. It would suck to buy a car that you could not drive very often for the first 2 years.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Being in the Air Force, I can tell you that a car really helps as AF bases are usually spread out. Here if you didn't have a car, worked on the flightline side & lived in the dorms it would be a 30-40 minute walk to and from work. Also like it's been said before, wait until you get to your first duty assignment, you don't want to have a vette as the daily driver if you get stationed somewhere like Minot, ND. Anyway best of luck to you whatever branch you decide to join. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Marines - Too sexy for their girlfriends." :laughing:
:smack ah there was another pic that I was holding her but you couldnt see the uniform and I figured you guys didnt wanan see the luvy duby pic.

Everybodys telling me to wait but I think ive found a pretty good deal at a local dealer that we have dealt with for close to Id say 10 years. They always send us Christmas, Bday, New year cards and call all the time just to say hey. the vehicle is....

A 2006 Trailblazer SS, Oxford white with cloth interior, 2wd, 33000 miles for $15900 but sense were close to them we could prob cut a few off the price. The only thing that kinda questions me is that its missing the bowtie on the front grille and it has envoy wheels :huh: I bet sombody flebayed em before they traded/sold it. I belive a test drive/carfax should be in order and see if the dealer would track down a set of stock wheels for it to throw in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Muscles
Are
Required.
Intelligence
Not
Essential.

I'm in the service and I drive my Corvette every day! I'm getting sent to Korea for a year in 6 months and it's staying in Texas, though, so...

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
I was pimpin' my Accord onbase as an E-2, three months out of boot camp.

That being said, when I got stationed in Japan, only E-5 and above with more than a year left on their orders could attain a car and drive it onbase.

It all depends on where you go and what the rules are at that particular base.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts