Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portfolio Magazine recently ranked 200 American cities in order of relative brainpower. Using new American Community Survey data, it looked at cities' average adult earning power and median level of educational attainment to determine which towns had the most cerebral force.

Ranking among the brainiest cities are Boulder, Colo., home of the University of Colorado; Ann Arbor, Mich., home of the University of Michigan; Washington, D.C., which has several colleges and universities; Durham, N.C., where Duke University is located, and Fort Collins, Colo., home to Colorado State. (See the rest of the brainiest cities here.)

The five least brainy cities are concentrated west of the Mississippi. They include Merced, Calif., McAllen-Edinburg, Tex., Brownsville, Tex., Visalia, Calif. and Bakersfield, Calif. (If you can bear to look, find the least brainy cities here.)

Looks like the dem states took the prize.
:partyon:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The two TX towns are on the MexicAn border. Go figure.
College towns tend to be Dem and they certainly think of themselves as superior so no surprises there.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote Pasco pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?"

Bud looks at the man, obviously ivy league educated, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, Why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're an aide in the Obama Administration", says Bud.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you, you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked.

You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are, and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.

This is a herd of sheep. ...

Now give me back my dog.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote Pasco pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?"

Bud looks at the man, obviously ivy league educated, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, Why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you, you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked.

You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are, and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.

Now give me back my dog.
OMFG!!!!! LOL:rolling::rolling: I have got to pass that one on!!!

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Now give me back my dog.
:laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'm not puting up links anymore.

People just walk into threads and yell "Your Wrong!" and never read the links.;)
You're such a tool, Dune. How many times have I asked you if YOU read your stupid links - after I've read them and then demonstrated how wrong you are because I'm quoting from them!

Oh, and KennyGS - when dune isn't amusing himself by reading E!Online, PalinHattahsDaily, and DemocraticTalkingPoints, he's over on the Huff and Puff Post, where he copied his text.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/the-most-and-least-brainy_n_791661.html

Steven

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're such a tool, Dune. How many times have I asked you if YOU read your stupid links - after I've read them and then demonstrated how wrong you are because I'm quoting from them!

Oh, and KennyGS - when dune isn't amusing himself by reading E!Online, PalinHattahsDaily, and DemocraticTalkingPoints, he's over on the Huff and Puff Post, where he copied his text.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/the-most-and-least-brainy_n_791661.html

Steven
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrong.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20...kaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDdGhlbW9zdGFuZGxl

I dont hag out at Huff:rolleyes:

lies......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrong.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20...kaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDdGhlbW9zdGFuZGxl

I dont hag out at Huff:rolleyes:

lies......:rolleyes:
Not quite ...

Here's what YOU originally copied from whatever source you claim ...

Dune said:
Portfolio Magazine recently ranked 200 American cities in order of relative brainpower. Using new American Community Survey data, it looked at cities' average adult earning power and median level of educational attainment to determine which towns had the most cerebral force.

Ranking among the brainiest cities are Boulder, Colo., home of the University of Colorado; Ann Arbor, Mich., home of the University of Michigan; Washington, D.C., which has several colleges and universities; Durham, N.C., where Duke University is located, and Fort Collins, Colo., home to Colorado State. (See the rest of the brainiest cities here.)

The five least brainy cities are concentrated west of the Mississippi. They include Merced, Calif., McAllen-Edinburg, Tex., Brownsville, Tex., Visalia, Calif. and Bakersfield, Calif. (If you can bear to look, find the least brainy cities here.)
If you actually READ the source I posted, then you will find this ...

Huff & Puff Post said:
Do you live in a college town? Take a look around -- chances are it's one of the brainiest cities in America.

Porfolio's survey focused on the 200 largest metro areas in America, the largest being New York City and the smallest Burlington, Vt.

Earlier this year, the Brookings Institute found that Washington, D.C. was America's most-educated metro area and Scranton, Penn. was the least-educated.

In terms of which cities have the most degrees, however, San Francisco emerges as the unmatched winner. According to blogger Rob Pitingolo, the city by the bay has more than 7,000 degrees within 7 square miles.
Secondly, YOUR source, Yahoo, prominently displays the Huff and Puff logo at the top, making it abundantly clear to even the most casual observer that H&P is the source for the document. Since I prefer original source material to sloppy seconds, I quoted H&P. I checked your Yahoo copy, then went to the original source that reported the snippet.

The only one around here with their panties in a wad seems to be you.

Steven

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Secondly, YOUR source, Yahoo, prominently displays the Huff and Puff logo at the top, making it abundantly clear to even the most casual observer that H&P is the source for the document.
I'm not denying that.

I was never at the Huff page tho.
I was reading the Yahoo page with the article coppied from the source, which was huff.

My web history confirms this.

Huff is probably not the original author of the article anyway...

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only one around here with their panties in a wad seems to be you.
not really...

I'm trying to read 9 news and investment web pages at once while you guyz are kickin me in the shins....:smack

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'm not denying that.

I was never at the Huff page tho.
I was reading the Yahoo page with the article coppied from the source, which was huff.

My web history confirms this.

Huff is probably not the original author of the article anyway...
Let me break it down for you this way ...

1. You stated that you won't post links because no one reads them. Of course, I tend to think YOU don't read them based on some of the conclusions you draw based on YOUR links. Since I generally use quotes from YOUR sources to disprove (or at the very least demonstrate a different viewpoint), I think your conclusion is thus shown to be wrong.

2. I found the H&P link on my own - and since their words matched what you'd posted without attribution, I concluded that H&P was your source. In fact, H&P was your source - just featured by Yahoo (with attribution).

3. If you continue to post without attribution, you need to paraphrase the source, as posting without attribution is roughly equal to plagiarism - and I don't wish to have to edit those posts (that goes for everyone - if you copy it without change, then post the link).

4. Of course Huff isn't the original source for the article - they provided a link after they stated that Portfolio did the study. Didn't you read that? Here's the Portfolio source ...

http://www.portfolio.com/special-re...ops-portfolio-2010-ranking-of-city-brainpower

Steven

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
...so what happened to all the billions of dollars in bonds we
supplied to the schools out here, let me guess, that's a no
brainier....:laughing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts