Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that little view finder you look through to see what you are taking a picture of?

DON'T USE IT. (Ever)

Why? Unless you like pictures with 1/3 of the car cut off, I don't recommend using it. if your camera is digital, ALWAYS (always always) use the LED display to see EXACTLY what you are taking a picture of.

The little view finders are horribly inaccurate. If you MUST use a view finder (non digital) once you capture the car in the view finder, you should step back 10 feet and take the picture.

I see so many great pictures in the gallery with some part of the car cut off.

Have fun.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Good Info Pat. Thanks for sharing your expert advice......:laughing:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are you talking to me???
Boy you better not be talkin’ to me…… :smokin:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

When it comes to photography, you could say I’m not an Expert. Thanks for the viewfinder tip Patrick. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basecorvette said:
Are you talking to me???
Boy you better not be talkin’ to me…… :smokin:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

When it comes to photography, you could say I’m not an Expert. Thanks for the viewfinder tip Patrick. :thumbsup:
I'm not an expert either, my wife is though, and she's taught me a thing or two about digital camera's.

·
Liftin' the fronts
2,261 Posts
I guess it depends on the camera, mine works fine . I had one in the 70s that allways shot to the left, all you had to do was cut off part of the car by aiming to the right and then the shot was great. Cameras, arn't they fun ?

Bob
(picture taker):buhbye:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Another good tip is to remove the lens cap

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
also make sure your finger isn't in front of the lens. :D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Nina said:
also make sure your finger isn't in front of the lens. :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I'm real good at that one.

I think its ok to use the viewfinder for objects that are a good distance away, but the closer you get to your subject the more important it is to use the led display. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hmmmm

any photo i have ever taken with our hp digi cam and with the view finder came out excellent. I've even done shots of cars on the road(84GRAND SPORT and MrNuke's cars) at 65 mph without issue.

Maybe some cameras clip the edges and some do not?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know, reanimating a dead thread.. probably a no-no.

Fast rule of thumb.. most p&s digital cams your better off using the LCD. they are typically 90-100% coverage.. and centered correctly. They have to be, because the image being displayed comes straight from the imaging sensor... so the display might show a bit less than the entire picture, but it cannot show more.

The viewfinders aren't always linked to the sensor on digital cameras, so they can be unreliable and drift off center. Some of the bottom end cameras may only offer 85% or so coverage in the viewfinder.. which will make it pretty hard to get things positioned. Most LCD's windup showing 95% or better of the picture.

Higher end DSLR's the viewfinder is actually linked to the sensor.. it has to be, because a good ole fashioned optical viewfinder is still running away more effective than a small LCD screen... that and its using a prism to split the light between the sensor and viewfinder.

Disposable 35mm's? Good luck.. single use parts and your at the mercy of the QC program.

www.dpreview.com reviews more technical aspects of digital cams, and usually covers what % of the picture is covered by the viewfinder and LCD. If you find your non-disposeable film or digital camera is off center in its viewfinder.. send it back for repairs.. thats just not right.

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
Okay, you guys are the experts here. I want to buy a digital camera - what ones do you reccomend? What should I be looking for. Basically the only thing I know about using a digital is that I like the pics they take. HELP !!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Z-man: Suppose the basic questions are in order.

1. How do you intend to use it?
2. Do you intend to print these pictures, and if so up to what size do you need?
3. How big is the budget?

Warnings: For your basic digital cameras indoor photos are hard to accomplish. They just aren't built for them. If you stay within the camera's flash range, you'll be ok. But typically that limits you to 20 feet or less, and you'll wash out any existing light.

Same pretty much goes for night photography. A few of the basic cameras can offer long shutter exposures (ie, the sensor stays on longer so it collects more light) but you'll have to find something sturdy to leave the camera undisturbed on. The less light you have, the harder it is to hold the camera steady to prevent image blur.

But, there is hope. Outdoor photos and brightly lighted indoors are just point and shoot. And believe it or not, dark grey completely overcast days provide sufficent light to work perfectly. So long as you go in with these expectations and accept them, you'll come out happy.

If you can't, you'll windup like me and turn it into a expensive and serious hobby. Assuming you've got 3 generations prior who did this too. Hrms... maybe I was just late onset with the disease....

Great, I better not turn into my dad and buy a lotus.... :bang

Then again.. maybe thats how fiberglass is in my blood.. great. now to just find funding...

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In this day and age, it doesn't seem like you can be terribly disappointed with any $200 camera out there.

I just made sure I had a smart media floppy drive connected to my PC for FAST copying of pictures to my HD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ehhh. There are still some loser cameras in that price range if you look.. but thats true of any price range. Most of the major makers (nikon/canon/fuji) have a tendency to not produce lemons, you just have to be aware of the limitations your getting at that price point.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I got a Kodak easyshare with the docking port last year for Christmas for $199 and couldn't be happier with it. The docking port makes tranfering pictures super easy and the camera is a breeze to operate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts