Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thank you for the welcoming and quick reply - can I install the fix with the error messages still active?
You have to follow the instructions that come with the cable TO THE LETTER. Not doing so could screw up the install and then there's no telling what you will have to do to fix it. The instructions that come with the kit address your question.

When dealing with automotive repairs as a novice or someone who doesn't do it for a living, you should always do a dry run through the instructions by reading them thoroughly first, before 1 tool leaves the tool box. This is one of those repairs for sure. I highly suggest you do that as well as read my original post again. You NEVER catch everything on the first read and sometimes 3 or more reads are necessary for everything to sink in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
March 26, 2010 Steering column lock error repair by dealer

Just had my C5 show for the first time the dreaded Steering column error. I purchased my C5 new in November of 1997 and it has 202,000 miles on it. I drive it every day. I consider it the best car I have ever owned. It gets 28 miles per gallon on the highway and has only required replacement of brakes and tires along with a new starter motor and water pump.
After reading all the messages on this subject, I was concerned whether the dealer fix would only be a temporary one. I asked him to just remove the locking mechanism motor, pin and all. He said the Body Control Module required a software message to permit the car to start and run normally that came from the locking mechanism. He had no way to modify that software. He said that GM must be required by law to not permit the locking mechanism to be removed and therefore GM would not provide software modification to the Body Control Module if the locking mechanism were removed.
Does anyone know that this is true?
The cost of the GM repair was $666. Labor was $400 and parts were $266. The dealer guarantees the repair for one year.
I really have no need for a steering wheel locking antitheft capability. I have for the past 13 years parked my car without locking it here in New Jersey. I have no concerns if it has no steering wheel locking.

The dealer replaced the lock motor and lock plate.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Why in the world would you pay all that money for a fix that may not work when you can simply get the CLB harness and do it yourself for around $50 in 30 minutes??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Did you read the initial post in this thread?

By the way, welcome to DC! :buhbye:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question?

Hi Junkman2008,
Thanks for the quick response to my post. Yes, I did read the posts on this subject including yours. When you said "You have to follow the instructions that come with the cable TO THE LETTER. Not doing so could screw up the install and then there's no telling what you will have to do to fix it. The instructions that come with the kit address your question." I was concerned I might end up worse off if I did the install. So I paid the price...

Do you know why GM according to my dealer, does not provide software for the removal of the locking mechanism? Is there an aftermarket provider for the software that would permit the removal of the locking mechanism?

The removal of the mechanical parts should be an option...even the dealers service manager thought that would be the best solution.

Thanks!
Dick

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have never heard that claim. One thing you always have to remember when dealing with dealerships: They are masters at the technique of blowing smoke up your ass. Some of the crap that I have heard service managers say are classics. If there was any software required for the C5, you can bet that any said software is still going to be available for a car that ended production only 5 years ago. I think there is some law that says parts must be available for X amount of years for a car no longer produced.

I think he was blowing you the smoke my friend. By the way, there are all kinds of threads that show how to install that harness, and there are thousands of cars with it installed. It is no where near difficult to install nor are the instructions hard to follow. I just know that there are guys who blow through directions and half-ass the repair. This causes issues, but the issues are still solvable! I have never had to deal with this issue so I don't know exactly what it would take to solve them. I just know that it car be done.

So are you still getting the pull key message? It won't surprise me if you are or do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
steering lock error

Hi AJ,
It has been a week since the parts were replaced and no new steering wheel lock error has been observed. Yet....will let you know if one does show up again.
Are you a blogger?
Thanks!
Dick

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi AJ,
It has been a week since the parts were replaced and no new steering wheel lock error has been observed. Yet....will let you know if one does show up again.
Are you a blogger?
Thanks!
Dick
Great to hear! I told you it was easy and you didn't get molested by the stealership. :thumbsup:

No blogging here. It takes me hours just to write a DIY and more hours to do the repairs. Between that, frequenting all the detailing/Corvette boards that I visit and chasing skirts, I'm out of time! :thud:

·
Banned
531 Posts
I just had my 02 towed to the dealership again this weekend this will be the 4th time my car has been serviced for the steering colum lock.. It was serviced once before i bought the car. I have had it in 3 times since last Sept and i put it away for winter for 3 months.. This is the second time in 3 weeks. The first time in sept they actually removed the locking mecanism the car could be turned but it would die after a couple of seconds so a few weeks ago they replaced the harnass and reprogrammed the computer.

All I know is I missed 2 car shows this weekend and a car that you cant depend on aint worth **** !

So who knows what they are going to do to it this time.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just had my 02 towed to the dealership again this weekend this will be the 4th time my car has been serviced for the steering colum lock.. It was serviced once before i bought the car. I have had it in 3 times since last Sept and i put it away for winter for 3 months.. This is the second time in 3 weeks. The first time in sept they actually removed the locking mecanism the car could be turned but it would die after a couple of seconds so a few weeks ago they replaced the harnass and reprogrammed the computer.

All I know is I missed 2 car shows this weekend and a car that you cant depend on aint worth **** !

More of the same crap they did last time! Didn't you see Patrick's thread on this??? :huh:

·
Registered
606 Posts

:crazy: :surprised :thud: :WTF :huh:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I had these codes pop up after a track day. I'm confused because the B2583 is for two different problems. I don't think I have a column issue because the two codes that were in my BCM were these two. So I'm thinking its a faulty connection on my turn signals and not my column, but why are they the same?

B2578 RF Turn Signal Monitor Circuit (Short to Voltage)
B2583 LF Turn Signal Monitor Circuit (Short to Voltage)

B2583 Column Lock/Unlock Drive (B)

Jr.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I show the code B2583 LF Turn Signal Monitor Circuit (Short to Voltage), but I do not show that as being a possible code for your year car. 2000, correct?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone have a description/picture of the recall relay that was added to the BCM? Perhaps a location of the pins that should be jumped if you need to? I have a 99 and I'm trying to figure out if it has been modified by the dealer or has been untouched before I install a CLB.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I show the code B2583 LF Turn Signal Monitor Circuit (Short to Voltage), but I do not show that as being a possible code for your year car. 2000, correct?
Aren't the codes the same for all C5's:huh:

B2583 Column Lock/Unlock Drive (B)
B2583 LF Turn Signal Monitor Circuit (Short to Voltage)

Why are these two the same code number, but two completly different problems. Am I missing something?

Jr.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The codes vary slightly from year to year. Check out this link. I am also not findimg that code for your car over at Gear Chatter. Their list is the most comprehensive that I have seen to date.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Started the car today and got a "charge system fault" code. Drove a couple hundred feet and got a "service column lock" code. Parked at my buddies house, turned off the car, let it sit 2 minutes amd started it up, steering wheel turns freely. Did mine do the opposite of the lock issue??

21 - 40 of 100 Posts