Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Started the car today and got a "charge system fault" code. Drove a couple hundred feet and got a "service column lock" code. Parked at my buddies house, turned off the car, let it sit 2 minutes amd started it up, steering wheel turns freely. Did mine do the opposite of the lock issue??
No. A weak battery can cause column lock issues. Is your battery old? Have you had the bypass kit installed? If you haven't had the kit installed, why not? You column WILL lock up one day and I bet that it will be at the most inconvenient time. Trust me.

Folks who haven't installed this kit, your days are numbered.

·
Registered
358 Posts
No. A weak battery can cause column lock issues. Is your battery old? Have you had the bypass kit installed? If you haven't had the kit installed, why not? You column WILL lock up one day and I bet that it will be at the most inconvenient time. Trust me.

Folks who haven't installed this kit, your days are numbered.
I had no idea it was a serious issue for our cars. I plan to replace the battery ASAP. Any suggestions?

Shouldn't the dealer fix the problem if it is a known recall issue?

If not, I'll get the kit and install it ASAP. Like, tmorrow!

Thanks for the guidance.

Pete

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I had no idea it was a serious issue for our cars. I plan to replace the battery ASAP. Any suggestions?

Shouldn't the dealer fix the problem if it is a known recall issue?

If not, I'll get the kit and install it ASAP. Like, tmorrow!

Thanks for the guidance.

Pete
There never was a recall for this issue. There was a TSB put out to all GM technicians. As for batteries, it depends on how long your car sits idle. The more you drive it, the less opportunity for the battery to die. If you don't drive it that often, get a quality Red Top and a battery tender. The tender is the secret to avoiding battery issues.

Battery Tender:

Red Top:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone have a description/picture of the recall relay that was added to the BCM? Perhaps a location of the pins that should be jumped if you need to? I have a 99 and I'm trying to figure out if it has been modified by the dealer or has been untouched before I install a CLB.

Can anyone help me with this? I have a CLB and have been waiting to install it in my 99 coupe because it sounds like if the dealer has gotten their hands on the car and I put it in, I still run the risk of it being not drivable because of the fuel getting cut at 2mph, am I over thinking this or being overly worried about that versus the column itself locking?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You're right. You are being overly worried, and you haven't taken your time and read the WHOLE thread. Install your CLB and be done with it. It doesn't matter what the dealer has done, install your CLB.

You should post up in about an hour to say that it has been installed with no problems. Then you should sleep real good for the rest of the time you own the car. Just don't allow your battery to get weak or die. A battery tender would be a good investment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Junkman! I did read the whole thing, a few times, I've just been confused by that part. Thanks for clearning that up. The car has a nearly new Optima red top, and the battery tender is coming soon! Thanks again

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Are you done yet? :laughing:

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Done, did it this morning. Took all of 20 minutes and no more worries! Thanks again :cheers:
So many people don't realize how easy it is to rid themselves of this headache. At least you addressed it BEFORE the lock. It gets a lot more fun after you're locked up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok before you grill me on the "why did you wait until it was locked up to get the CLB..."

So my 03' Z06 steering column is locked up and won't unlock. I'm currently out of town and the Vette is stuck in the driveway until I get back to work on it. It did leave me high and dry but I was lucky that it happened in the driveway. Had to resort to driving my 86 CJ7 jeep.....

I ordered the CLB from Thunder racing. Will I be able to unlock the column myself or will I have to have it towed to a dealer?? I have read this entire thread and based on what I have read is that I will have to have towed.

Thanks.

Justin

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Ok before you grill me on the "why did you wait until it was locked up to get the CLB..."

So my 03' Z06 steering column is locked up and won't unlock. I'm currently out of town and the Vette is stuck in the driveway until I get back to work on it. It did leave me high and dry but I was lucky that it happened in the driveway. Had to resort to driving my 86 CJ7 jeep.....

I ordered the CLB from Thunder racing. Will I be able to unlock the column myself or will I have to have it towed to a dealer?? I have read this entire thread and based on what I have read is that I will have to have towed.

Thanks.

Justin
No Justin, you won't have to have it towed. You can yank the steering wheel aggressively against the locking mechanism and eventually, it will free itself. AT THAT POINT, GET THE CLB HARNESS INSTALLED. You probably won't be able to free it a second time (at least I have not seen anyone be able to do it twice on the same car).

Another thing that you can try is checking the battery cables on your car. If they are not torqued to the correct specs (not to tight or not too loose), and your battery is good, you may be able to start the car successfully and move it. If one of those 3 problems exist (weak battery, over-torqued or under-torqued), you won't be able to do crap but free the steering wheel and install the cable.

The dealer should be your LAST resort unless you can find a World Class Certified Technician like Paul in your area. You do know who Paul is, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Justin, you won't have to have it towed. You can yank the steering will aggressively against the locking mechanism and eventually, it will free itself. AT THAT POINT, GET THE CLB HARNESS INSTALLED. You probably won't be able to free it a second time (at least I have not seen anyone be able to do it twice on the same car).

Another thing that you can try is checking the battery cables on your car. If they are not torqued to the correct specs (not to tight or not too loose), and your battery is good, you may be able to start the car successfully and move it. If one of those 3 problems exist (weak battery, over-torqued or under-torqued), you won't be able to do crap but free the steering wheel and install the cable.

The dealer should be your LAST resort unless you can find a World Class Certified Technician like Paul in your area. You do know who Paul is, right?
Ok I ordered the CLB and I will work on it when I get back home in a week and a half. I put a new battery in it when it happened, but I will have to check the torque on the terminals.

I'm stuck down in Lower Alabama going thru some training and it will have to wait until I get back. Thanks for the response!

Justin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been yanking the hell out of this steering wheel and it will not unlock.... I think I'm screwed!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I've been yanking the hell out of this steering wheel and it will not unlock.... I think I'm screwed!
Are you banging it against the stops? Also, is this the first time you've tried to free it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you banging it against the stops? Also, is this the first time you've tried to free it?
It's locked so yeah it only moves a little, but I'm banging it back and forth.

I bought the car used last year so this is the first time I've done this to the car. Not sure if it has ever happened before to this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I've heard that you can only free it once. I don't know if that is true or not but that is what I've heard. I don't understand the logic behind that. It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've heard that you can only free it once. I don't know if that is true or not but that is what I've heard. I don't understand the logic behind that. It makes no sense to me.
Yeah that is what I've heard too. I'll let you know if I ever get this fixed... And it's my DD.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yeah that is what I've heard too. I'll let you know if I ever get this fixed... And it's my DD.
:laughing:

And see, I never asked you why you waited until it was locked up before you decided to fix it! :laughing:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
It seems that when the battery goes low, is when your problems start. Fifty dollars and no worries about my column locking up. That was one of the best things that I've bought.

Jr.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts