Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This bracket set would probably be good for those of us that are retrofitting AC to our cars. Mine has no AC right now so I am looking at the Hot Rod Air or Vintage Air kits. Pretty much all of those kits use the Sanden compressor so all we would need then is the right pulley.
Very good point, that is something that I overlooked. It looks like they put the compressor nice and close to the block too, should fit great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
accessory drive systems and electric power steering pump

I just read your post re C3/LS conversion.

I am in the middle of mine. Everything has been figured out, with the exception of the accessory system.

March won't work, as they put an adapter on the original harmonic, which then hits the cross member.

Original corvette LS1/2 accessories would work, but for the P.S. pump and low AC.

Street and Perf has an upper bracket for AC, plus serpentine belt, which will go with the GM set up.

That brings me to the P.S. pump.

Has anyone used, or heard of, an electric remote P.S. pump being used successfully? The Mini Cooper is supposed to have such a pump that will work. I question its reliability, however.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here is a place that you can get a nice pump from. http://www.turnone-steering.com/pumpdirectory.html

Why not just get a waterpump and alternator from the local parts store or GM ones from SDPC http://www.sdparts.com/, a set of my A/C brackets and I can get you a compressor or again you can get one from the parts store and get the PS pump from turn one or SDPC. There is not much to the alternator and PS pump brackets, you can get them from SDPC or ebay or the junk yard. Oh and I got an underdrive balancer from Summit for $150.

Going the F-body route for accessories is your best bet, everything clears nicely and you can get everything pretty easily and cost effectively. To me the S&P setup is too spendy and everything is so spread out. There is not alot of room in our engine bays after the radiator and fans are in. I like the f-body because everything is as close as possible to the block.

There is a remote ps pump for our cars but I forgot where I saw it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
this might be useful as well:

vehicles that have the ls1 engine:
* 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5, excluding Z06
* 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, SS
* 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula, Trans Am, Trans Am WS6
* 2004 Pontiac GTO
* 1999-2005 Holden Commodore Ute
* 1999-2005 Holden Commodore (VT, VX, VY, VZ)
* 1999-2005 Holden Statesman (WH, WK, WL)
* 1999-2005 Holden Caprice (WH, WK, WL)
* 1999-2004 Holden Special Vehicles (all V8 models)
* 2001-2005 Holden Monaro CV8
* 2006-2007 Elfin MS8 Streamliner

vehicles that have the ls2 engine:
* 2006-2007 Cadillac CTS-V

* 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette
* 2005-2006 Chevrolet SSR
* 2006-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
* 2004-2007 Holden Special Vehicles (all V8 models)
* 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO
* 2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
* 2005-2006 Vauxhall Monaro VXR

cba to look up the rest, just looked up these ones :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just a thought for us guy's in Oz

It appears the Holden/GTO LS1's use the F body Accessories.
It would be useful to know what is required to change oil pans to something more suited to the C3 and anything else that may pose a problem in these engines.

As freight is a killer for us, we need to use the engines here locally.

Great work BTW!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
sorry, I haven't been able to update the thread in awhile, I have been extremely busy.

I would use the f-body pan, it is the most popular and the best fit.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Great thread. I havent seen the Street Shop Inc here. They offer a complete bolt in kit with minor clearencing to the right lower CA mount for the A/C being mounted low and all the acc pulled in close. the set up is in my avatar..all you can see is the top side.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That chassis looks sweet but I wonder if I need a second mortgage just to talk to them. lol

Also if memory serves the "batwing" pan is designed to keep oil in the sump during high G maneuvers, kinda fitting that you gotta use the rack to get it in there. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Street Shop Inc LS accs. Will bolt in any 63-82. Available with clutch located in the factory position.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Very nicely done setup. I love it. I am guessing the AC will not clear a factory C3 frame though. It looks awesome.

Yes the A/C will clear. Its close to the lower CA mount and mite need a lil dimpleing depending on the tolerences of the org frame. I had a couple pix installed on a 82 frame with no problems what so ever. I dont kno what i did with the pic. I'll see if i can find then.

If you look closely..the A/C runs off its on belt and is set back. Thats the reason it will fit in a 63-82 frame. The setup was designed for use with or without A/C. But who in there rite mind would not want AIR.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
that compressor looks to be in the stock location and the stock compressor in the stock location will not fit. This motor must be sitting back quite a ways or the motor is sitting up pretty high. I would like to see some more documentation on this setup.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
that compressor looks to be in the stock location and the stock compressor in the stock location will not fit. This motor must be sitting back quite a ways or the motor is sitting up pretty high. I would like to see some more documentation on this setup.
Complete bolt in. Also so have clutch bracket to be able to use all stock c3 clutch linkage in stock location and use a muncie or t-56.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
well how about that. :huh: Will you be so kind as to let us know what/whose motor mount plates you used please. There have been a ton of us that have done this swap and none of have been able to use the stock LS1 compressor. Speedhound makes a set of plates that allows the use of the stock linkage and he also has a bracket that attaches to the block and the z-bar. I wonder if the compressor will work with his brackets?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Please let us know about the motor mount plates when you get a chance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
well how about that. :huh: Will you be so kind as to let us know what/whose motor mount plates you used please. There have been a ton of us that have done this swap and none of have been able to use the stock LS1 compressor. Speedhound makes a set of plates that allows the use of the stock linkage and he also has a bracket that attaches to the block and the z-bar. I wonder if the compressor will work with his brackets?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Please let us know about the motor mount plates when you get a chance. :thumbsup:

Sanden compressor in stock location. Must use all Street Shop Inc products.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sanden compressor in stock location. Must use all Street Shop Inc products.
IIRC the Sanden compressor is a very compact unit. I don't believe a factory LS1 compressor will fit in the stock location. Your engine looks like it's set much further back than ones that use the common lower mount/adapter holes. My crankshaft pulley clears the indentation in the frame by 1" or so.

:cheers:

Rick B.

21 - 40 of 324 Posts