Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd like to see how much room others have from the firewall to the back of the motor. I was looking at the speed hound z bar bracket and looks as if the motor is setting about 1.5 inches futher foward. Here is the Street Shop z-bar bracket. With there motor plates the bellhousing is setting in the stock location as came from the factory. All Street Shop brackets are made of 6061.

Here is the Street Shop LS accs setup. comes with all items pictured plus alt/ sanden compressor/ p/s pump. motor plates and z-bar not pictured. The water pump with the bell type pulley will not work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my install. I'm using adapter plates that run a bolt through the bottom of the engine mount, through the adapter plate and into the block.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Josh if you don't mind giving your opinion. 79 Vette, LS2 (GTO), T56. I have the desire to install a Rack and want to keep A/C and Power Steering, a High amp Alt is needed too. What do you recommend for motor mounts and accessory brackets? I figure I'll run a C5 Batwing pan unless you have a better idea. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Josh if you don't mind giving your opinion. 79 Vette, LS2 (GTO), T56. I have the desire to install a Rack and want to keep A/C and Power Steering, a High amp Alt is needed too. What do you recommend for motor mounts and accessory brackets? I figure I'll run a C5 Batwing pan unless you have a better idea. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

before I can give you my opinion I need to know a few more things.
Are you going to run stock manifolds or are you planning on running a set of Speedhound/Melrose C3 LSx headers?
Are you comfortable doing some minor modifications including alittle welding? Have you purchased a batwing pan? A new complete f-body pan is very affordable, the batwing pan can be cumbersome.

I just did a 79 so I have a pretty good idea on what to recommend.

Josh

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'd like to see how much room others have from the firewall to the back of the motor. I was looking at the speed hound z bar bracket and looks as if the motor is setting about 1.5 inches futher foward.
The speedhound plates put the motor within 1/4" of the factory SB location. The Vetteworks style of plates move the engine forward about 1 1/4".

I have done swaps with both styles of plates and I like the room that the Vetteworks plates give at the firewall but if you want to run a rack and speedhound headers you need to use the speedhound plates, with the vetteworks plates the #1 primary hits the steering linkage. When Melrose does the next batch of headers they are supposedly going to fix the problem so after that either set of plates will work with the headers.

Also now I see how you could mount an A/C compressor down low. It is the small Sanden compressor. I thought that you were mounting the much bigger LS1 compressor down low.

Great looking kit by the way. Wish I had one of those frames under my car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
82 Vette LS Swap

Ok; I am in the middle of restoring my 82 Vette and have been thinking about putting a LS Engine into it. After reading all this thread I have a couple of questions:

Sounds like the LS1 F Body is the way to go for me.

1. Can I use my Factory Tranny?
2. Do I have to change anything from the Tranny back?
3. What kind of Changes do i have to make to my Gauges?
4. And can you give more detail for the Electrical Harness?

Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok; I am in the middle of restoring my 82 Vette and have been thinking about putting a LS Engine into it. After reading all this thread I have a couple of questions:

Sounds like the LS1 F Body is the way to go for me.

1. Can I use my Factory Tranny?
2. Do I have to change anything from the Tranny back?
3. What kind of Changes do i have to make to my Gauges?
4. And can you give more detail for the Electrical Harness?

Thanks Bobby
1. yes you can use your factory tranny with an adaper.
2. Most likely not. there are a set of mounts that will put the LS in the factory SB location.
3. If you use your stock tranny the speedo won't be a problem. The tach can be taken care of with a Dakota Digital signal converter. As for the rest of the gauges you will need some adapters for the LS block but S&P has them available.
4. If you are not electrical savvy send the LS harness to John at http://www.speartech.com/ and he will take care of you. It will be very easy to hook up.

let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Josh, headers are most definatley in the plans and as far as a pan my main thoughts for using the Batwing is for the ability to maintain oil in the sump during hard cornering.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
well I know that the batwing pan won't work with the stock power steering, I am not sure about the rack. There is a company that makes a really good windage tray for the F-body pan that will take care of the sump issues. I just don't think that the batwing pan is a very good option. I know of alot of Z06 cars that have oiling issues on the track...

Since you are planning on the headers, use the speedhound plates or I have a set of dual position motor mount plates that put the motor in the stock location or moves it forward 1"

Accessories: do you plan on using the GTO accessories? I have a set of A/C brackets that will allow you to use the R4 compressor on your motor so you can use your stock A/C lines.

I also have a good solution for the tranny crossmember if you are interested.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Definatley interested. Like I said I am in the process of researching the project. I would think that if possible I would want to set the motor back a little if possible and maybe even lower it some for weight distribution. I would really like to set it up for handleing make it track worthy but hardly ever track it. As far as the accesories I need to figure those out I'm not even opposed to running something like the March set up if neccesary.

I have differential, suspension and, brake mods planned I would really like to get some major power issues done too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok, here is my opinion:

Mount Plates: Speedhound or My dual position plates. Vetteworks has an adjustable set but they are still being prototyped. These will put you as far back and still leave you alittle room at the firewall. Also you will have to modify your shifter to get it to come up through the stock console. You can get a six speed plate from Keisler, just call and ask for it, it is around $25 See attached pics.

Tranny Crossmember: Use a bowtie overdrives 2004R tubilar crossmember, and have them extend the perch 7/8"

Accessories: Use the F-body accessories and my A/C brackets, this will leave your factory A/C lines and controls in tact. (See my pic on the first page) I can get you very very good prices on the brackets to hold the alternator and power steering pump. You will need to modify the water pump (See my pics on the first page in the waterpump section.) I can do this for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Oil Pan: use the F-body pan. You can get a complete pan for around $260, still looking for the link for the windage tray...

Power steering: Go with the Steeriods http://www.vetteworksonline.com/steeroids_corvette.htm or the Rack attack from VBP. http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=1100

Brakes: if you want to convert to Hydroboost let me know.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Josh sounds like a plan. I am thinking Hydro Boost too I'm torn on my brake options. I know that I am going to get at least in the 13" rotor area so that makes Willwood, Brembo, and Baer part of the conversation. I absolutely love the way the New Extreme 6S Baer calipers look though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Has anyone heard or used one the Oil Pans from BRP Muscle Rods? Here is the link:http://www.brphotrods.com/Oil%20pan.html

They show the F Body and their GM LH8 LS Conversion Oil Pan; which seems to be designed for just what I am doing, putting a LS into a 82 C3.

Like to hear any feedback.

Bobby
Bobby I have that pan listed on the first page. It looks to be the smallest pan as far as capacity and will fit with the steering dampener and a rack with either set of mount plates, however the sump is deep like the truck pan. If your car is lowered, it may not be the best option.

I know over 20 guys that have done this swap in multiple ways. The F-body oil pan is the best option.

Josh sounds like a plan. I am thinking Hydro Boost too I'm torn on my brake options. I know that I am going to get at least in the 13" rotor area so that makes Willwood, Brembo, and Baer part of the conversation. I absolutely love the way the New Extreme 6S Baer calipers look though.
I can hook you up with a guy that does hydroboosts. price is around $150. Very good upgrade for your brakes.

Here is an option over the Wilwood, Brembo and Baer stuff. VBP makes a C5 brake conversion kit for the C3 vette. Order their kit without the calipers and get the C6 Z06 6 piston calipers. They are a direct bolt on to the C5 brackets.

I was going to do this but I have stock wheels. for now...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I can hook you up with a guy that does hydroboosts. price is around $150. Very good upgrade for your brakes.
VBP makes a C5 brake conversion kit for the C3 vette. Order their kit without the calipers and get the C6 Z06 6 piston calipers. They are a direct bolt on to the C5 brackets.

I was going to do this but I have stock wheels. for now...
I like this idea. I have not even checked into their brake kits. I have been running the stock brakes since I rebuilt the calipers with O-rings years ago. I may have to look into this a little closer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They have a kit that does a swap for the front brakes but is there anything out there for the rears? I did a C5 conversion on my Blazer and love the brakes (I did front and rear) but I wouldn't want to do a conversion unless I got rid of all 4 of the boat anchors. I also think 13" all around is nice, 14" is crazy but.... would look freaking ridiculously HOT. 18" wheels and a 14" 6 piston FRONT 13" 4 piston REAR would be the shizz.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
you do realize that 80% of your braking is in the front? And the stock calipers on the Corvettes are pretty dang good. They are 4 piston front and rear. I have a set of the VBP stainless sleeved ones, hydroboost, and cross/drilled slotted rotors and my car stops on a dime.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes I do realize that but, the whole unsprung weight issue and also the technology differences and I hate to say it, but they are kinda ugly. lol :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Someone needs to make a kit to mount C5/6 brakes all around on a C3 that would open up some great options. I'd be all over that.

41 - 60 of 324 Posts