Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The challenge has been dropped. Take three worn out POS 1980 Corvettes and turn them into one frame-off restored Corvette. Hmmm.....you know I am just crazy enough to accept that challenge!

The idea is to take the best of each car to build one good one. Here's what I have to work with:

This car is relatively solid. Body seems to be pretty good, most of the electrical works.

This car looks like hell, but is mostly complete. Lots of good parts here.

There is a third car that has been described to me as a "parts only" car. I have not seen it yet, but it will be delivered soon.

The game plan is to remove the body from the red one, and return it to the owner. He will handle the bodywork and paint on his end. While he has the body, we will restore the frame and build it back up. Hopefully when the body is finished, the rolling chassis will be ready.

I will document the build in this thread. Should be a fun project.

Here we go......

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun Chad :partyon:
Are you doing this for you or someone else?

·
Registered
932 Posts
That should be fun! I did the 3 in 1 several years ago making a 1981 Z28 Camaro. I gave it to my brother for his 15th birthday! I had a rear body from a '78 Camaro, front clip and interior from the '81 Z28 and suspension/ drivetrain from a '79 Z28. Good luck with the build! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Looks like you could get "three into two."

Good luck. I really like seeing 80-82 vettes coming down the road, a great looking car.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
sweet, looks like a great project, Chad. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:
Chad............... I don't remember you saying you were BOARD !!

·
Registered
117 Posts
been there,done that ,had a lot of fun , lots of extras,(swap meets) time of my life several times , you are going to have a ball, hope the wife has a sence of humor and patience,and gets involved in ti with you, makes it even more fun

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got a thorough inspection in on both cars. The drivetrain in the red one is not correct - it has a vortec motor of unknown origin and other non-original parts. The white / burgandy one, on the other hand, is very original in appearance. Therefore - we will use the drivetrain out of that car for the build.

Since there was no radiator or anything else in the front end, the radiator support was pulled, and the motor and transmission came out as a unit with no issues whatsoever.

Keeping the drivetrain all matching, the rear end was pulled too.

We then moved the donor car to the back of the property for storage until more parts are needed.

Check this out - it had the original spare under it!

Meanwhile, we started stripping the red car in preparation of separating the body from the frame. We have most of the interior out at this point. So far, I have found a pair of reading glasses, cassette tapes by Luther Vandros, Barry White, and Al Green, and $3.87 in change!

The weekend stopping point on the red one.

Next up is to finish stripping the interior, and preparing the body for separation from the frame. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished gutting the interior. The steering column will go last so I can move the car around easily until the body is pulled. From then on, it will be on dolly's provided by iburke (Thanks again Bro!).

The air box was a pain, but it is ready to be rebuilt. Check out the wasp nest!

Pulled the rear bumper...

and the front bumper.

Next up will be loosening the body and getting it ready to lift off of the frame.

Baierman - the car will retain stock headlights. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Glad you are getting some use out of them Bro...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Great thread so far! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After double and triple checking everything, the body was eased up with a floor jack,

and blocks were set between the body and the frame.

We set the lift arms,

...and away she went!

The key is to be thorough, take your time, and lift slowly to avoid snags. I am happy to report that nothing was missed, there were no snags, and nothing broke!

The body will be set on the Jig this weekend and off it will go to the body shop. While the body is gone, the frame will be blasted and painted, then the build begins.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
looks like fun, Chad! :partyon:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts