Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been the proud owner of a 2002 EB Z06 for the past 6 years, but the time has come for our family to move on to the big show...a house! :laughing: Unfortunately, I'm a little too practical and did the math - selling the Z to use towards a down payment will save over $100k over the course of a 30 year mortgage. That $100k would go well towards a new Z, or even a ZR1 :partyon:

That said, I wanted to give this wonderful family notice in case any may be interested. I'm planning to list her in the classifieds section in the coming days, but any local interest would be preferred. I'm in NOVA, more specifically Fairfax, VA. She has ~30k miles on her, C6 shifter, Michelin PS2s, etc....still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. She will be missed...

·
996 Posts
I've been the proud owner of a 2002 EB Z06 for the past 6 years, but the time has come for our family to move on to the big show...a house! :laughing: Unfortunately, I'm a little too practical and did the math - selling the Z to use towards a down payment will save over $100k over the course of a 30 year mortgage. That $100k would go well towards a new Z, or even a ZR1 :partyon:

That said, I wanted to give this wonderful family notice in case any may be interested. I'm planning to list her in the classifieds section in the coming days, but any local interest would be preferred. I'm in NOVA, more specifically Fairfax, VA. She has ~30k miles on her, C6 shifter, Michelin PS2s, etc....still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. She will be missed...

Don't do it!!!

100k in 30 years!?!? That is just 3,333 bucks per year. Plus by the time you have "saved" that 100k a new ZR1 will probably cost you 500k.

Dude, it is just not worth it. I am all for good financial planning, but the cost benefit of this situation swings toward the vette for me.

Look at it this way... Lets assume you put all 30k miles on it and each time you took it out you drove an average of 25 miles. That means you drive it 200 times per year, which comes to 16 bucks per drive that you won't be saving. Just saying, if I walked into my garage and every time I wanted to hop in my vette, someone offered me 16 bucks to drive my neon instead.. i would probably still take the vette.

Or look at it this way.. What are 38 year old vettes going for right now?? A lot more money than they were worth 30 years ago!!! I think it could easily be argued that your vette will be worth well over 100k in 30 years if you keep it nice, and since you put about 5,000 miles on it per year, you probably will.

The way I look at it.. You can't afford to sell the vette!!:partyon:

·
Registered
21 Posts
ouch, doesn't seem like that great of a deal. shoot the way houses are depreciating, a vette might be a safe bet. jj but seriously i've looked into this with that thought process in mind and they're very costly toys to replace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't do it!!!

100k in 30 years!?!? That is just 3,333 bucks per year. Plus by the time you have "saved" that 100k a new ZR1 will probably cost you 500k.

Dude, it is just not worth it. I am all for good financial planning, but the cost benefit of this situation swings toward the vette for me.

Look at it this way... Lets assume you put all 30k miles on it and each time you took it out you drove an average of 25 miles. That means you drive it 200 times per year, which comes to 16 bucks per drive that you won't be saving. Just saying, if I walked into my garage and every time I wanted to hop in my vette, someone offered me 16 bucks to drive my neon instead.. i would probably still take the vette.

Or look at it this way.. What are 38 year old vettes going for right now?? A lot more money than they were worth 30 years ago!!! I think it could easily be argued that your vette will be worth well over 100k in 30 years if you keep it nice, and since you put about 5,000 miles on it per year, you probably will.

The way I look at it.. You can't afford to sell the vette!!:partyon:
Answers like this are why I love this place :partyon: If the aforementioned reason was the ONLY reason, I'd be completely with you. I'm definitely not bowing out of the Corvette club; I'll use this as a chance to upgrade and be back with a newer C6 sooner than later.

I haven't determined my asking price yet, but it looks like $24-25k is the general starting point for this year/mileage. Of course, it IS Electron Blue, and we all know the blue corvettes are the fast ones :laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts