Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the Z06 is well into development. Its debut is said to be somewhat COVID-dependent, but it seems there is little on Earth that is not "COVID-dependent." Regardless, it WILL likely arrive sometime in 2021 as a 2022 model. Since the C6, what model has always followed first after the Z06? Yep, the Grand Sport. BUT just when you think GM has settled into a predictable model rut, we get a new 'rumor/leak.' If you haven't noticed, the VAST majority of the "rumor/leaks" we've seen published seem to turn out to be more like 'previews' than 'rumors.'

This new rumor/leak is certainly a surprise...to me anyway... for a couple of reasons. The rumor is that the Grand Sport won't be the Grand Sport, it will be the "e-Ray." Yep, the model to wear the Z06 widebody won't have an LS3 under the hood. If the rumor is true, it will have at least one electric motor that is located out back. We KNOW that between the front wheels the subframe already incorporates space and fittings for the mounting of an electric motor. We've even posted the guesses of what that motor looks like and it's power output (150-200 HP). We've NOT seen any rumor/leaks of an electric motor that would git under the rear glass.

Back to the surprises.
1. Most of the car rags labeled the Grand Sport model as the best balance of performance for both the C6 and the C7.
2. MANY of the Corvette faithful wait until the GS comes out to buy their new Gen Vette (they know more than the car rags).
So if GM is electrifying the widebody alternative to the Z06 where will it's performance capabilities land?!? We KNOW that one of the "rumor/leaks" was a CAD drawing of a DOHC V8 with Twin Turbos. We are told the Z06 will be normally aspirated. So the TT DOHC, we assume will be in the ZR1 and the Zora, we've been "rumored" told will have ~1,000HP. Therefore, the ZR1 TT DOHC must have 800 to 850 HP. The Z06 rumors sit around 600-650 HP. So the e-Ray could have at least one model, maybe a second AWD with HP from 650 to 750 HP UNLESS GM wants the e-ray to be an ALTERNATIVE to the Sting Ray. Then the HP range is 500 to 750 HP for two models.

WHEW! The variations boggle the mind.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I believe the GS is going to be RWD via the base ICE and FWD via an electric motor. Kind of a "baby" Zora.

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appended thought. What good reason would GM have for dropping a VERY popular selling model like the GS?

Let's start with: Why is it popular? Yes, yes, the wider body looks great, but there is more to it. My C6 Z51 has 'only' about 425-435 HP from my LS2 (large catbacks and Vararam), but it fries tires all through 1st and much of 2nd. When the tires get anywhere close to their final days, they fishtail anywhere in second, and fishtails in 3rd start to get downright scary. So when GM began to offer the wide-body, BIG TIRED C6 GS with the 'base' engine, a LOT of us jumped at it. I came close twice. So the GS was not just a pretty face, it gave the 'base' engine the traction it should have had from the beginning. Perhaps the C8 Z51, in this sense, IS the GS. With the added traction from the engine in the rear, would bigger tires actually improve performance on a C8 Z51? Maybe some in straight-line performance, but probably at a sacrifice of road track performance. Add more HP by replacing the LT3 with a DOHC, flat-plane V8 with 125-150 more HP and sure, wider tires (FRONT and back) under a wider body adds more traction AND improves overall performance = Z06 and also works for an e-Ray with significantly more power than the Stingray.

Secondary (or maybe primary in GM's Opinion): The younger crowd LOVES electric cars - they cannot afford most of them, but they love them. Mary Barra has committed BIG TIME to electric vehicles so it would be a head-scratcher for her to commit SO many GM resources (read: money) to a halo GM car that did NOT have all-electric power in its future.

...or this new 'rumor/leak' is just someone reading all of the posts all over the internet about the e-Ray and laughing about the BS they spread.

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the GS is going to be RWD via the base ICE and FWD via an electric motor. Kind of a "baby" Zora.
You could be right. THAT IS one of the rumors about the e-Ray. It would be similar to what some of the other Euro exotics have done. But does that fit the Mary Barra GM profile for a halo car? Maybe?
Maybe the best case to make for this configuration is that an all-electric e-Ray would omit the need for the new tranny and certainly require a LOT of re-engineering and development to get the handling right. Whereas this rumored version would make the e-Ray a junior version of the Zora and suspension adjustments for the added weight and location of that weight would be more like tweaking than starting from scratch with a front and a rear electric motor and batteries.

IMO, this is NOT the model to be called an e-Ray, but I'm not GM.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Let's not forget that GM is moving some of the Corvette engineering team to their electric vehicle division. Also note that the state of California is moving to eliminate sales of petrol engine vehicles. I believe that a massive improvement in battery technology is overdue and the charging infrastructure will improve, especially if a new administration takes control in a few months. Tesla has already announced an electric supercar (it will take longer than expected to produce and cost a fortune, but will have crazy performance numbers). Put this all together and the probability of an EV or pluggable Corvette (my preference) increases greatly.

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also note that the state of California is moving to eliminate sales of petrol engine vehicles. I believe that a massive improvement in battery technology is overdue and the charging infrastructure will improve, especially if a new administration takes control in a few months. Tesla has already announced an electric supercar (it will take longer than expected to produce and cost a fortune, but will have crazy performance numbers).
All true, but ironic. The internal combustion engine has served our automobility well for 120+ years. IMO, battery included mobility will NOT last as long as the ICE has. Read this:

The Dirty Secrets Of ‘Clean’ Electric Vehicles​

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
An interesting article that takes the worst case view in some ways. The next generation of batteries will be cobalt-free, so better at least in that regard. Coal fired plants are on the decline now. We've eliminated several here in Michigan. In our case, we have over 9 kW of solar panels on our home and in the sunny months generate more electrical energy than we consume even though we have two pluggable hybrids. Maybe not the best for everyone, but the times are slowly changing and will get better eventually. Do I want only electric Vettes? No. But an option would be nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts