Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
they can keep there a.w.d.It goes well with that sissy exhaust note!As the narrator said,the Z just needed a few more feet.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Nice video Ronald. That's what I thought was going to happen. It's all about traction.

BLK 1 :buhbye:

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I've been under a ZR1 the front hubs are splined I don't think GM was that far away from it. Maybe they just couldn't work it out.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
No and we couldn't get any by making some phone calls. I can't believe they just threw some off the shelf hubs on a 100,000+ dollar car. Must have been something. We were putting headers on a friends car when we found it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The funny thing is that when they went to do the standing mile test, the Porshe lost its turbo compression. I just got through reading the Motor Trend artical. They tested both cars around a track with turns, Willow Springs or something like that and the ZR1 beat the 911 by half a second. God I cant wait to own the ZR1. It may take me a bit but I will get one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Could someone explain to me what the word "splined" means, in regard to the discussion about how they put these inadequate parts on the car. What performance problems does this cause?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Could someone explain to me what the word "splined" means, in regard to the discussion about how they put these inadequate parts on the car. What performance problems does this cause?

Thanks
There was no reference to it being a problem the reference was if they have splined hubs on the car they must have been playing with AWD...maybe.:laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
There was no reference to it being a problem the reference was if they have splined hubs on the car they must have been playing with AWD...maybe.:laughing:
AWD is so much easier to engineer in the rear motor/trans 911 design versus the front motor/rear transmission Corvette design. :huh::huh:

·
Registered
628 Posts
OK i understand now. Tadge has always talked about awd but he says it is too heavy. I wouldn't mind an all wheel drive vette, but I don't think it will happen.

Maybe a hybrid thing would be cool.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK i understand now. Tadge has always talked about awd but he says it is too heavy. I wouldn't mind an all wheel drive vette, but I don't think it will happen.

That's what I believe as well. For instance, the Jaguar C-X75 and the Porsche 918 Spyder are very interesting concepts, and they look good too!

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts

The 911 GT3-R Hybrid is an extremely promising car without the burden of batteries. That's the way hybrids need to go. Sure, it's a bit of extra weight, but it makes up for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice video Ronald. That's what I thought was going to happen. It's all about traction.

BLK 1 :buhbye:
Ronald:

Enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work.

As to Corvette 4WD, Porsche has disproportionate weight distribution over the rear wheels which helps in the quarter mile, but not so much in road course track times with less-than accomplished pilots at the wheel. Also don't see too many (any?) 4WD applications in ALMS, DTM, etc. I don't think Porsche goes 4WD at ALMS events. Tadge Juechter (and others) confirm lots of frictional losses in 4WD drivetrain applications as well. 4WD good for inclement weather in street car applications, including those vehicles like the 911 that demonstrate handling vices on road courses resulting from rear weight bias. Otherwise give me a 4WD SUV for lousy weather and leave my rear wheel drive Corvette as she is.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ronald:

Enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work.

As to Corvette 4WD, Porsche has disproportionate weight distribution over the rear wheels which helps in the quarter mile, but not so much in road course track times with less-than accomplished pilots at the wheel. Also don't see too many (any?) 4WD applications in ALMS, DTM, etc. I don't think Porsche goes 4WD at ALMS events. Tadge Juechter (and others) confirm lots of frictional losses in 4WD drivetrain applications as well. 4WD good for inclement weather in street car applications, including those vehicles like the 911 that demonstrate handling vices on road courses resulting from rear weight bias. Otherwise give me a 4WD SUV for lousy weather and leave my rear wheel drive Corvette as she is.
I like your reply :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an AWD 2003 Evolution owner, I agree AWD would help. I love burnouts. I have an idea. Make the car RWD and have AWD kick in when needed like a GTR. You really have to drive a GOOD awd car to know what I mean. Not AWD is the same.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
At my current driving leveling in weekend track DE on street tires, the Porsche still has and advtage on the Z06 in braking but the Vette can out handle and accelerate with (stock) the 911 turbo. That is on average not unequivocally.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts