Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. Back on Power Tour I had a tank that gave me 18 mpg. Today I used another tank of Shell that made 17.3 The usual average highway mileage is 16.5.

I'm gonna experiment a bit, and use only Shell for at least 3 consecutive tanks and see what happens. Shell is about 7 to 11 cents pricier than other brands, but may be worth it.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I used to ba a die-hard Amoco Gold fan but less than 1 month after the change to BP I got screwed. I was 1/2 way done filling my tank when a voice over the intercom said, "The 93 octane is 87 for today." WTH kinda crap is that? :(

I've since switched to Shell. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i used to get nothing but chevron.i switched to shell for no other reason than the fact they have 92 octane(highest on the island)chevron is 91(highest)next tank full,i'm going to hook up the auto-tap and compair my WOT readings to the chevron WOT readings.:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Does'nt seem like the price difference is worth 8 tenths of a mile per gallon. :huh:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
especially in a c5 every octane point makes a difference if your racing.91 cool for just puttin around.but if you floor it you'll hear knock for just a second then it goes a way.thats because the computer just shifted into the 'low octane' table which has a conservitive timing table to stop the knock,problem is your car is a half a second slower in the 1/4 mile.only way to reset is get 10 gallons of gas.i dont even care how much i pay,i did notice last time at shell it was $2.21 cents for the 93.i dont ever remember paying less than 2 bucks a gal.thats hawaii for ya,gallon of milk 3.49cents,housing-200,000 will get you a nice fixer-upper in a decent neighborhood.(built in the 60s)crime is very high due to "ice"(speed)has been declared an epidemic.were in a drought and are on volentary water hours,sone to be manditory.ah,good old paradise-ya,right.oh,ya and Da Hawaiian Punch had a gun pulled on him in traffic a couple weeks ago.i could go on.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ha, good experiment, but i did a little one today infact,

I went by a Shell Gas station and price said $2.14/gallon
down the street Mobil/Exxon, Phillips 66 $1.93 both 93 octane
and across the street was speedway $1.92, but only 92 octane....
so for the price difference thay can keep there gas, but in any i usually go right over to Indiana Phillips 66/Exxon or even BP - 93 octane with good results and cheaper prices, since amaco always left a funny smell.....

Just my opinion

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
wow,
you sure have plenty gas to choose from.ours pretty much comes down to chevron(highest 91)or shell(92)the rest are like 7-eleven etc....:cool:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I dyno'd at 300 RWHP on Amoco gas.

When I switched to Shell I dyno'd at 550 RWHP.

So, I'll stick with Shell for now. It's worth an easy 250 RWHP.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

thats a good one.
i tried 'aloha' gas one time,hooked up the auto-tap and watched my timing get pulled down to 14* at WOT.had to add a can of octane boost just to get thru that tank full.i probably would have dynoed about 175 with that gas.:laughing:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

No Sh$t. I guess I'll have to try Shell now. I knew you Chicago guys had some secrets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought I read on one of these forums that it's good to alternate different gas and not use the same type all the time on a C5 because you can start having the dreaded gas gauge problem.

Gas in the Detroit area almost averages around 93, but since the power outage damaged the local refinery premium gas has sored
to 2 bucks a gallon! :nuts:

I actually never stay loyal to any brand other than not filling up at a station where I see a tanker unloading.;)

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
i use a product called BG44K,one can every six months.it keeps the varnish from collecting on the parts.that was a side effect.i actually first used it because i had a severe knocking problem.this was recommended to me and it works.with only 26,000 miles,the car was totally carboned up..its been 1 1/2 years since i had the fuel gauge problem.that went away the immediatly.i also have auto-tap logs to see my results from that product.if some one reads this and is going to try this,do not pull it in to the PCV hose or throttle body.just pour it in the tank.injectors and everything stay very clean.so much crap in todays gas.:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts