Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm finally officially sick and tired of trying to get the cheap POS chrome thermostat housing (or water outlet, whichever you prefer) to stop leaking around its base on my new and what should be clean and shiny motor!
I have an edelbrock performer aluminum intake on a new crate motor, so why my father-in-law opted for the cheapest possible thermostat housing is beyond me...but I'll stop, you guys don't need to hear my griping about that...
Anyway, I want to go with a plain stock unit, but the stock piece has two ports for, I'm assuming, EGR sensors and such which my car no longer has (thank God!)
Can I just plug those holes and use the stock piece? Is there one from another year that would work? It seems most of the pre-egr versions I can find have the water neck positioned in a different direction than what I need.
Any help would be fantastic!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
any SBC water neck.. i got mine from summit and didnt have an issue i got a 10 dollar one and i havent had any leaks!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yes, you can plug the unused ports. One is 1/2" NPT, the other is 3/8"NPT.
Mr. Gasket sells chromed brass recess plugs.

As said, Summit sells all kinds of chrome stat housings.

The surface of the manifold MUST be smooth.

Felpro makes a new silicone/reusable stat gasket for about $10. I really like these. You can remove the stat/flush/reinstall. No leaks.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree:

Good Stuff!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, you can plug the unused ports. One is 1/2" NPT, the other is 3/8"NPT.
Mr. Gasket sells chromed brass recess plugs.

As said, Summit sells all kinds of chrome stat housings.

The surface of the manifold MUST be smooth.

Felpro makes a new silicone/reusable stat gasket for about $10. I really like these. You can remove the stat/flush/reinstall. No leaks.
The one I have is a chrome job with an O'ring seal. Don't remember what brand. When I pulled it off to change the manifold gaskets, it came off clean and neat. No gasket material to scrap off :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
I have the same problem on my 72 with all new parts. Runnnig for 30-60 minutes and I get a slight leak. It is the O ring type, but that leaked so I used the "right stuff" and still have a slight leak. Autozone lists the Felpro gasket but when they pull stock it is a knock off.

I think I'll sell the car, house, $10k in tools, the 75 & 69 and go with an electric car. I know 2 electricans in CA working on a 74 that can probably build me one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i forgot to mention that my housing has an o ring seal.. and i put a little bit of gasket marker on it and i havent had a problem

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I have the same problem on my 72 with all new parts. Runnnig for 30-60 minutes and I get a slight leak. It is the O ring type, but that leaked so I used the "right stuff" and still have a slight leak. Autozone lists the Felpro gasket but when they pull stock it is a knock off.

I think I'll sell the car, house, $10k in tools, the 75 & 69 and go with an electric car. I know 2 electricans in CA working on a 74 that can probably build me one.
I'll trade ya the 69 for a Prius. 60 MPG buddy. One of the guys at work drives down from Colorado for the season. $50 in gas.:surprised

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Not a bad deal. The 69 is stripped to a shell all parts boxed up. I did rebuild the rear end, Muncie, trailing arms,headlight buckets, and suspensions already. Really just need to be picked up and have the frame painted then assembled and painted. Have a new interior and top in boxes as well, plus all chrome was triple plated too.

It's sitting on the kwik lift in the garage

That electric car sounds better all the time!:thud:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have the cheap chrome housing with the O ring seal and I just put emery paper on a flat glass plate, taped it down and pulled the housing over it until it touched in all spots. They get warped and don't pull down even.
Flatten it with emery paper and it will seal as it. I pull mine dozens of times for thermostat testing and use nothing but silicon grease on the O ring and anti seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I have the cheap chrome housing with the O ring seal and I just put emery paper on a flat glass plate, taped it down and pulled the housing over it until it touched in all spots. They get warped and don't pull down even.
Flatten it with emery paper and it will seal as it. I pull mine dozens of times for thermostat testing and use nothing but silicon grease on the O ring and anti seize on the bolts.
The old figure 8 on the surface plate trick.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The old figure 8 on the surface plate trick.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

HEY! I've got one of those I use for the steel plates in an auto tranny. 1/4 plate glass, too.

:surprised
I wonder if it'd work on Model T trannnys too?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got the chrome:surprised one with the o ring oh I better go check if its leaking or not.:surprised

1 - 14 of 14 Posts