Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95, but I'm still pretty ignorant about it, so this pertains to my 72.

At what temperature do the cooling fans come on in the C4, and what rating thermostat is in it?

Reason is this. I just installed Spal fans in my 72. The temp sensor kicks on at 200 and off at 185. Using a 180 t-stst sometimes the fans keep running because of the tolerance range of the two parts.

The temp sensor to the fans is +/- 10 degrees in operation and so is the t-stat. When they overlap the t-stat is closed and the fans are still trying to cool.

Maybe I could use C4 parts?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The fans are actually controlled by the ECM/computer. The ECM reads the temp from the temp sensor and turns them on or off at certain temps.

Off-hand, I can't recall the the temps the fans come on or off.

Here is a link to a jeep board I'm on. The topic is about wiring in a fan, as you are doing now. This may help you out.

·
Premium Member
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:
The fans are actually controlled by the ECM/computer. The ECM reads the temp from the temp sensor and turns them on or off at certain temps.

Off-hand, I can't recall the the temps the fans come on or off.

Here is a link to a jeep board I'm on. The topic is about wiring in a fan, as you are doing now. This may help you out.
only 90-up has both fans controlled by the ECM..

85-89 use one off the ECM and one off of a switch int he head.. I forget the temp of it though

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That makes sense. The L98 in my Jeep is using '90 electronics so, I wouldn't of known about earlier models. It's a good day when you learn something new. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts