Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vaccum systems to start off. someone tell me if what I am doing is completely wrong. the headlights in my car do not work what so ever, nor does the wiper door. So, i plan on just ripping the entire vaccum system out. i already have to pull open my headlights, so i dont car about that, and i will probably spring for that killer lights system from 69myway in the future. As for the wiper door, i do not want to get a longer hood because i really like the look of the shorter one, so i want to try to modify the wiper door so that when closed (which will be all the time) it will still allow for the wipers to move. is this morally wrong to do this to a vette? I do not plan on selling the car, or if I do, it is already not original. So what do i have to loose?

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
I know the "fad mod" now is to replace the system. This will be just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. If the vacuum system is working, it is just as good as anything system you can install on it. They didn't build these cars with a vacuum system from 1968 to 1982 because it didn't work. I would suggest just purchasing a rebuild chart and hose kit from DrRebuild. http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/aaa-home.html
If you replace the hoses/relays/switches, and then work on the actuators, your system will work perfectly, you will have less money in it, and have the knowledge of how the system works. The system is relatively simple. My vert will open its light doors just as fast as any system out there, and it is vacuum. One thing I have learned. It is difficult to "patch" repair these systems, but if you fix it right it will gives decades of good service!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rjent- you are correct, that GM would not make something that doenst work, and i know that it does work, when it is properly hooked up. but my system was a complete mess. most of it was there, but i found many cut lines, and other very questionable repairs. so for now i have taken out everything under the hood and under the drivers side dash. everything is still able to be put back together if need be. its always good to hear a second opinion on something like this, thanks alot.
and annicorvette, that link helped me understand my system alot more. great link.

thanks for all the help- Chris

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
rjent- you are correct, that GM would not make something that doenst work, and i know that it does work, when it is properly hooked up. but my system was a complete mess. most of it was there, but i found many cut lines, and other very questionable repairs. so for now i have taken out everything under the hood and under the drivers side dash. everything is still able to be put back together if need be. its always good to hear a second opinion on something like this, thanks alot.
and annicorvette, that link helped me understand my system alot more. great link.

thanks for all the help- Chris
chris, you are about 80% there! :thumbsup: Just buy a hose kit, and a diagram (that is probably the most important :)) and git 'er done! If you are going to keep the car, replace the actuators and charge it off to maint! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
As for the wiper door, i do not want to get a longer hood because i really like the look of the shorter one, so i want to try to modify the wiper door so that when closed (which will be all the time) it will still allow for the wipers to move. is this morally wrong to do this to a vette?
I really like the wiper door. It's something unique to a few years and is one of those cool little features that people unfamiliar with 'vettes are impressed by. I'm with Rich on this one. Get the whole rebuild kit and get 'er workin' like new!

·
Registered
270 Posts
vaccum systems to start off. someone tell me if what I am doing is completely wrong. the headlights in my car do not work what so ever, nor does the wiper door. So, i plan on just ripping the entire vaccum system out. i already have to pull open my headlights, so i dont car about that, and i will probably spring for that killer lights system from 69myway in the future. As for the wiper door, i do not want to get a longer hood because i really like the look of the shorter one, so i want to try to modify the wiper door so that when closed (which will be all the time) it will still allow for the wipers to move. is this morally wrong to do this to a vette? I do not plan on selling the car, or if I do, it is already not original. So what do i have to loose?

Here's a primer I found on this site that explains the basics. Click the tab on the left for vacuum system. -Danny

http://www.corvette-101.com/

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i just decided to take out my vacuum system entirely. it already had lots of cuts and old cracked lines. it looked like someone tried to fix it and made it worse. fornow, i do not need a working wiper door, and i can just open my headlights manually if i ever get caught in the dark. for now i am vacuum system free but that will probably change once i can get some more money

and thanks everyone for all of the helpfull info. kindof changed my mindset on vacuum systems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts