Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate the fact that I need to have a front plate on so I decided to try this. I bought my car used so I don't have the front plate insert. Not even sure if I like it yet, i might just finish painting it and put it on when I go to shows.

You know what I hate even more than a front plate on a vette is the hoops you have to jump through to post a picture here :smack

I'll get the pictures up in a few minutes.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
:thumbsup: it all depends on what state you live in but please post the picture jump through hoops dam it :laughing: :laughing:

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
HOLY CRAP that is nice how did you do that and is it legal i am asking because i bet a lot of vette owners would do that if they needed a front plate by law but that looks awesome :thumbsup:

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
That's cool. How did you do that?
looks like a clear cover that he faded the EB paint into from the inside. I agree, I think that looks great!

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
But the million dollar question is will the police officers let this slide is the question?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like a clear cover that he faded the EB paint into from the inside. I agree, I think that looks great!
That's exactly what I did, ordered the clear plastic cover from http://www.mamotorworks.com/

And the EB touch up 12 oz aerosol from
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Instead of drilling out the the two screw holes for the bottom I put a thin strip of velcro in case I do get pulled over and have to take it off. I can always try the " I forgot to take it off after the show" excuse.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
anyone on the police department can answer please do very anxious because in NY thats a hefty fine/ticket

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As long as your back plate isn't covered and if the cop isn't in a bad mood, I'm sure he'd just warn you about it. However, if his wife/girlfriend pissed him off and he always wanted a vette, etc.....

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
isnt that the truth you hit the nail right on the head :agree:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think it looks great. Who gives a **** if the plate is slightly covered up. It's not any different than a truck with mud all over it or a trailor with the plate all smashed in where you can't read it. I'd go for it and use the "I forgot to take it off" excuse if you have to. A cop would have to be a real ass wipe to fine you for that.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Depends on the cop. The cops around here are really cool about vettes and no front plate. I wonder if that would draw more attention to the front plate.It looks good by the way. I think if I was having problems with having to run a plate I would try that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like it. I know some members who've taped off a clear plate and shot their body color, but the straight lined divisor between paint and clear is too crisp. I think it looks ricy/tacky. Your gradient fade looks great, and is a clever solution. I hope it passes muster with the LEOs (hey, at least you're making the effort, eh?).

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hey that is fantastic. You have given me a whole new line of thought on this issue...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
I guess the botom line is that it is not legal. It does depend on the Cop. Technically you are not supposed to have in NY a clear cover on the plate nevermind one that is tinted. In a great deal of cases you can probably get away with it but at night it would be that much harder to see the plate. SOme Cops will let you go but it is not legal at least in NY and I bet most if not all other states.

But it does look great.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
looks beautiful...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts