Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was doing a little research on the forums. And it looks very doable.

I found a nice thread about a novice who did it in about 36 hours over a handful of days and said it was very worth the effort. Said it was very straightforward, just time consuming.

Considering you can pick up a cam for about $400, the rest is just your own labor, and if you really enjoy doing it, it's not really costing you anything. I have some friends that would probably love to help in exchange for pizza and beer as well. $400 for 40rwhp seems like the best bang for the buck I can think of.

Thing is, I don't want the cam to even be noticeable except for the upgrade in power. I want it to idle like stock, and not sound different enough to set off any alarms.

Two reasons. If I ever sell the car, I don't want to tell the new owner I tore open the car and put in a cam. And I still have a whole year left on my warranty.

Question is, is a "stealth" cam really possible? And if it is, will the power gain even be enough to justify the effort?

Also, I am really not a fan of the lumpy idle. My car was built in 2005 and I want it to feel and sound like a mordern vehicle.

Would these specs still be stealthy and yet gain at least 30rwhp?
224/228 .581/.588 114

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you are gonna do a cam swap, you might as well upgrade the cylinder head or least have your heads ported. Also don't forget the intake manifold. Let me know when you do this, I'll be willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one is answering my questions.
:(

Well, the cam swap is actually much easier if you replace the heads at the same time according to the stuff I've read so far, so I see the logic.

However, an LG cam is $450, and LG head/cam package is $3,150.

From my understanding the cam alone is worth 30-40 rwhp, and the heads are worth another 30-40. So that just doesn't seem worth it to me. The FAST intake is another $1245 as well, and on a stock engine is only worth about 10, so maybe 20 with everything else.

Fmatic. I will certainly let you know if I go through with this.

My ultimate goal is 11's at Firebird on street tires (not runflats), maybe KDW's or S2's, without breaking my rear end. Trapping around 123-125. That's where all my friends with the 100-200k+ cars were running. Except for the TT viper that ran 10's around 150 mph depending on how well (if at all) he hooked up.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Hey Bro, The cam you listed will still have some lope as the stock one is on a 116 lsa. You would probably see at least a 30whp gain with that cam.

Pizza and Beer :D I'm glad that you listened to that part of our Conversation Saturday :laughing:
When are we doing this??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah 114 LSA is the highest angle that LG sells. So I am guessing the lope can't be that bad.

That particular spec I posted was from a classified add on this site. He hasn't written me back though.

If I do it, I will be waiting till it cools off. The post I read on CF about the kid who did H&C himself said it took him about 36 hours over the course of 3-4 days. 36 hours in my garage right now would actually cook your insides I think.

I'll let the whole crowd now if I pull the trigger on this one. I need a lot more info though, and I probably won't have time until we finish up our current project at work in about 9 weeks.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Yeah 114 LSA is the highest angle that LG sells. So I am guessing the lope can't be that bad.

That particular spec I posted was from a classified add on this site. He hasn't written me back though.

If I do it, I will be waiting till it cools off. The post I read on CF about the kid who did H&C himself said it took him about 36 hours over the course of 3-4 days. 36 hours in my garage right now would actually cook your insides I think.

I'll let the whole crowd now if I pull the trigger on this one. I need a lot more info though, and I probably won't have time until we finish up our current project at work in about 9 weeks.
Dude, I am a lot more info. I've already done this on mine :devil:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have you checked out the stuff from livernois motorsport? They did the ones the gmtechmagazine and they are reasonably priced.

I know they are not supporting vendor but here is the link...
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, I am a lot more info. I've already done this on mine :devil:
Ah yes, very true. But I don't have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to your brain. Can you come out to Lowes Friday night at 7? CBR sent out a mail to a big group. That'll be a good time to talk.

Thanks for the link, fmatic.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Ah yes, very true. But I don't have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to your brain. Can you come out to Lowes Friday night at 7? CBR sent out a mail to a big group. That'll be a good time to talk.

Thanks for the link, fmatic.
Address?? I can make it :D

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Would these specs still be stealthy and yet gain at least 30rwhp?
224/228 .581/.588 114
i heard a camaro with .565/.565 lift and even that was far from stock at idle

im gunna be doing a h/c and im going with LG's g5x2:devil:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's in the Lowes parking lot on Octotillo and Airzona.

Oh, and I think from what I've read the lumpy idle comes from the LSA not so much the lift.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

Oh, and I think from what I've read the lumpy idle comes from the LSA not so much the lift.
yep, it was probably 112lsa but i was just sharing some info:cheers:

·
Registered
345 Posts

What's going on this Friday at Lowes? Can I join in?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet. The more guys we get out the better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Howdy Bill :buhbye:
Lets meet over on this side of town and caravan over :thumbsup:
I still haven't seen your Vette.
Just give me a call and let me know the details. 480-650-4182.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts