Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I have the hole in the hood I have been waying the pros and cons of the hole:laughing:
And have been thinking of adding a hood scoop like this to cover the hole and allow me to be more rain friendly, (the hole itself was a neccessity due to the intake has the carbs airhorn protruding from the hood by 1 1/2 inches)

heres a pic of the car as it sits right now

Has anyone used a scoop similiar to this or seen pics of a c3 with this style scoop added to the hood, if I use this scoop I plan on making it functional, any thought or ideas:cheers:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
How tall is that scoop?

Do you plan to glass it in yourself or have a body shop tackle that?

·
Registered
552 Posts
For that style of scoop to look right it'd have to straddle the hood's center bulge. Which in turn reduces height. If it was 4 inches tall, might be onto something. That style has a lot of potential.

When I'm at this point it's time to pull the air cleaner off and mock up a cardboard box over the opening to figure out how tall the scoop has got to be as a minimum. Then get in the car and try to determine what kind of height and equally important- width, are going to be acceptable. Setting those limits is going to eliminate a large number of scoops.

Am I remembering right from photos, does this car have a carb spacer?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For that style of scoop to look right it'd have to straddle the hood's center bulge. Which in turn reduces height. If it was 4 inches tall, might be onto something. That style has a lot of potential.

When I'm at this point it's time to pull the air cleaner off and mock up a cardboard box over the opening to figure out how tall the scoop has got to be as a minimum. Then get in the car and try to determine what kind of height and equally important- width, are going to be acceptable. Setting those limits is going to eliminate a large number of scoops.

Am I remembering right from photos, does this car have a carb spacer?
it did but that is long gone now, even with the spacer out the air/choke horn is thru the opening by 1 1/2 inches(intake is an ACC RPM Cyclonen similiar to the Edelbrock RPM air gap but about 2 inches taller in deck height) , right now Im trying to decide if I want to go with the hood scoop or just wait until I have enough to replace the hood with an aftermarket hood, I am really thinking that I'm probably better off buying a hood since my current hood has so oil contamination on it (there are some tiny bubbles in the paint in one area that Im told are cause by the fiberglass being contaminated with oil ) so that said I,m starting to lean toward a new hood but am tossing around the scoop idea until I have saved enough for the new hood

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How tall is that scoop?

Do you plan to glass it in yourself or have a body shop tackle that?
I would just mount and glass it in myself, have a buddy that owns a local bodyshop that would spray it pretty cheap

·
Registered
754 Posts
Maybe you could try a scoop like mine,it will look like you have a blower under the hood :D

You are going to need at least 4" hood scoop,so you will have room for a breather of some type.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice looking car

I have tossed around the ideal of a scoop been thinking about a shotgun scoop but am kinda concerned about getting caught in the rain , have you been caught in the rain with that scoop and did it suck in a bunch of water or did it keep most of the rain out, kinda worrying that I would find myself stranded if caught in a rain shower , as I do attend several out of town shows thru out the summer

·
Registered
754 Posts
nice looking car

I have tossed around the ideal of a scoop been thinking about a shotgun scoop but am kinda concerned about getting caught in the rain , have you been caught in the rain with that scoop and did it suck in a bunch of water or did it keep most of the rain out, kinda worrying that I would find myself stranded if caught in a rain shower , as I do attend several out of town shows thru out the summer
I dont ride in the rain,ive been lucky going on cruises.Yes ,the rain will get your engine wet and maybe short out.The water getting in the engine,i would say its possible.You do need a scoop of some type if you drive in the rain.I think all you need is a L88 hood ,its 4" high and it will look good too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts